• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And so it begins....

Phssthpok

imported post

Time got away from me this past month and I was rapidly approaching my auto-insurance-payment-deadline, so I decided to pay a visit directly to my agents office to make sure everything was credited in time. The lady behind the desk either didn't notice, or didn't care, because she never even blinked at the fact I had a full-size 1911 knockoff (Llama MAX-I) on my hip. In-n-out in less than five minutes. (Paid cash with exact change;))

After that I headed off for some groceries. Winco near Vancouver Mall (OK..OK... 'Westfield Shoppingtown') Is the closest to me and my Ins. Agent just happens to be about halfway between. I find myself studying entranceways now in search of those annoying little 'no weapons' signs, but seeing none I made my way inside.

The only reaction I can be absolutely certain of came from your standard screaming 5 year old. Seriously. This little guy was running laps around the cheese cooler babbling loudly in some language I coudn't decipher.

As he rounded the corner he almost slammed into me at a dead run, but managed to pull up short in the nick of time. He looked up at me, made a motion to move past to my right, and stopped dead as his eyes went wide. He must have spent a good two seconds looking at the gun before he looked back at me with that innocent "is that REAL' look on his face that younglings are famous for.

I smiled down at his suddenly cherubic face, and made my way past him toward the dairy section. He bee-lined for his mothers side, and was suddenly quite well behaved. Go figure.

I think I may have recieved a couple of knowing smiles from a couple of random folks during my time in the store, but no one approached me or openly reacted to my OC.

All-in-all it was almost anti-climactic, but then I suppose that's a good thing, no? I thought about hitting up the mall too in search of a digital voice recorder, but I had perishables now and I figured I should probbably quit while I was ahead.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Kids are right at the perfect level to notice your gun. The ones I have noticed seem to be mesmorized by it. My kid's have been around me while I'm packing for so long that the only thing that would get their attention is if it were a pink gun (for the 6 year old) or an I-Gun for the teenager. :lol:

LoveMyCountry

uncoolperson

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Kids are right at the perfect level to notice your gun. The ones I have noticed seem to be mesmorized by it. My kid's have been around me while I'm packing for so long that the only thing that would get their attention is if it were a pink gun (for the 6 year old) or an I-Gun for the teenager. :lol:

LoveMyCountry
there's nothing wrong with a pink gun, got the fiancee a black taurus with gold trim and pink grips for christmas.

Phssthpok

imported post

Added Papa Murphy's and WallyWorld to my list today. No problems so far.

I'm beginning to think that the 'Couve is conciderably more OC friendly than I first imagined.

compmanio365

imported post

Yessir! A quick word of advice: have the training bulletins printed and with you; read them through and think what you would say if confronted by LEO or a concerned civilian. And always remember, you are an ambassador for 2A rights to those that may not want to see it. Eye contact and a smile go a long way to ease others' tension.

Keep those items in mind, and don't forget to report back after your first OC with how it went!

Oh yeah, and welcome to the board too! :celebrate:

Phssthpok

imported post

Technically not Vancouver, but I slipped down to Wilsonville, Or after work to pick up a DVR. Carried all throughout Fry's Electronics without anyone so much as batting an eye..

Well... I take that back. I caught some randome teenager in the PC game section doing a brief surreptitious double take, but he never said anything, nor looked at me directly.

psychophipps

imported post

I would seriously reconsider OC in Oregon as it requires a permit and you can't get said permit without being an Oregon resident. I'm glad that you OCed but you just might find yourself in a very bad situation if you get unlucky about who you're walking by at the store.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

Bear 45/70

imported post

psychophipps wrote:
I would seriously reconsider OC in Oregon as it requires a permit and you can't get said permit without being an Oregon resident. I'm glad that you OCed but you just might find yourself in a very bad situation if you get unlucky about who you're walking by at the store.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )
Wrong. The Oregon state law requires you to open carry if you don't have a permit. This was confirmed by several staters and county deputies.

gregma

imported post

psychophipps wrote:
you can't get said permit without being an Oregon resident.
One correction to the above. Those who live in connecting states (WA, CA, ID, NV) can indeed get a permit from Oregon "with reason". It is not a "shall permit" situation, but it is a "may permit" at the very least. There are some counties that are much more receptive to giving them out to "out-of-staters" of course.

G27

imported post

Any specifics, Gregma? I visit some friends there occasionally but don't bring my gun as I want to have all bases covered. Would love to get an OR CCW.

gregma

imported post

G27 wrote:
Any specifics, Gregma? I visit some friends there occasionally but don't bring my gun as I want to have all bases covered. Would love to get an OR CCW.
Sorry it took me so long, I couldn't find the appropriate sites. Ok, check out:

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Look at 166.291 (8):

The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.
That's gives the legal justification. As to which counties will actually do this? I am aware of at least one. Washington County -

http://www.co.washington.or.us/sheriff/service/ccw_faq.htm

PM me and I'll give you further details when I contacted them.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Multnomah county does as well.

It requires a safety class (no shooting requirement), background check, letter from WA state dept of mental health stating you have not been involuntarily comitted for a erpiod greater than two weeks, and a letter to the country sheriff's office stating why you want it (which can be "sporting use" or "self defense".) Not much detail is required.

Multnomah county only accepts the application in one place, and they are super strict about making your appointment on time. It's a pain if you have to cross city traffic.

Mine was turned down for having missed a court date for a traffic issuewithin the last 4 years. I intend to apply again in April when that no longer applies. I will have to re-take the class (has to be within 6 months of application) and jump through all the hoops again.

Rumour has it that they are pretty picky about people who don't live in border counties. The fee is of course, non-refundable.

gregma

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
Multnomah county does as well.

It requires a safety class (no shooting requirement), background check, letter from WA state dept of mental health stating you have not been involuntarily comitted for a erpiod greater than two weeks, and a letter to the country sheriff's office stating why you want it (which can be "sporting use" or "self defense".) Not much detail is required.

Multnomah county only accepts the application in one place, and they are super strict about making your appointment on time. It's a pain if you have to cross city traffic.

Mine was turned down for having missed a court date for a traffic issuewithin the last 4 years. I intend to apply again in April when that no longer applies. I will have to re-take the class (has to be within 6 months of application) and jump through all the hoops again.

Rumour has it that they are pretty picky about people who don't live in border counties. The fee is of course, non-refundable.
That's interesting. Seems as if even different counties have different "rules". In Washington county, you can take an NRA class or even use your DD214 (military discharge) if it shows weapon training. No requirements of it having to be within 6 months of application. They also don't require a separate letter from DSHS. Their requirements are:

• be at least 21 years of age
  • be a US citizen or have proof of application with intent to become a citizen
  • be a resident of Washington County
  • never have been convicted of a crime of domestic violence
  • never have been convicted of a felony
  • not have been convicted of a misdemeanor in the last four years
  • pay appropriate fees
  • provide written documentation which demonstrates that you have taken a handgun safety course
  • pass background check

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Can't use your DD214 unless it specifically shows pistol training.

"Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organize shooting competition or military service. To present proper documentation through the military Service, please bring your DD214. [font=VerdanaBold,Bold]Your DD214 MUST show training/qualification with a handgun, sidearm or pistol[/font]. Should your DD214 indicate only .small arms qualification. it does not qualify as handgun safety training. In this case you will need to take a handgun safety course to meet this requirement. Sorry, there are no exceptions allowed by law." {emphasis in original}

I'm pretty sure the letter from Dept of Mental Health is an Oregon State requirement for non-residents. As is the 6 month requirement. I'm having trouble finding the actual text of the ORS.

All non-resident permits are "may-issue" in Oregon, while Oregon residents fall under "shall-issue" unless they violate one of the conditions.

While Washington county (again, rumour has it) is pickier about granting out of state permits- Multnomah was recommended to me by people who have been to both. Multnomah and Clark county (where I live) also have contiguous borders, so it seemed logical to me. If you are an Oregon resident, you have to apply through your own county sherriff, which is no problem as long as you meet the requirements, because he can't legally turn you down... But as an out of state person, you would just want to apply where ever they seem most amenable.

http://www.co.multnomah.or.us/sheriff/chlunit.htm

http://www.co.multnomah.or.us/sheriff/chl_forms/040106/2%20Info%20To%20Handgun%20License%20Applicant%20NEW.pdf

http://www.co.multnomah.or.us/sheriff/chl_forms/040106/Permit_Brochure_color.pdf