• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How does anyone open carry with a t-shirt?

93sr20det

imported post

how does everyone open carry with an UNtucked t-shirt? i never wear dress cloathes and my t-shirts all come down to about my pockets so how would i go about open carry? is my only option a hip holster? i can conceal carry with my t-shirts but i need to get a permit for that....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had to make a few wardrobe changes in order to OC. Since its not always wise for me to OC, I've also had to make a few wardrobe changes in order to CC during really hot days.

It goes with the territory.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen put it well enough...if you want to carry, you're going to have to dress the part. You could always simply drape the un-tuckedshirt up andbehind the holster and gun..I've done that on occasion.

If you're dead set on finding a holster to work, a shoulder holster or thigh (drop-leg) holster are probably your only options.

unrequited

imported post

DreQo wrote:
If you're dead set on finding a holster to work, a shoulder holster or thigh (drop-leg) holster are probably your only options.
Shoulder probably wouldn't be comfortable with an oversized or baggy t-shirt, although it is an option. A thigh holster? If you thought you had a problem with an OWB OC, I know you'd get stopped for having a thigh holster. It just looks "scarier" to some.

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]I actually do carry with an untucked T-shirt. All I have to do is kind of tuck the corner under the holster. It might be difficult with small guns, but I carry full-size guns and never have a problem. In fact, to get the shirt up over the gun takes a conscious effort...I can do pretty much anything without the shirt coming over the gun. Hell, I have the gun on before the shirt and have never had to think about getting the shirt under the holster.

If my method won't work, you may have to tuck.
[/align]

93sr20det

imported post

Drewesque wrote:
[align=left]I actually do carry with an untucked T-shirt. All I have to do is kind of tuck the corner under the holster. It might be difficult with small guns, but I carry full-size guns and never have a problem. In fact, to get the shirt up over the gun takes a conscious effort...I can do pretty much anything without the shirt coming over the gun. Hell, I have the gun on before the shirt and have never had to think about getting the shirt under the holster.

If my method won't work, you may have to tuck.
[/align]

what gun/holster combo do you use?

cato

imported post

93sr20det wrote:
how does everyone open carry with an UNtucked t-shirt? i never wear dress cloathes and my t-shirts all come down to about my pockets so how would i go about open carry? is my only option a hip holster? i can conceal carry with my t-shirts but i need to get a permit for that....
Son...tuck in that shirt and put a belt on when you go out. Oh, and get a hair cut and don't talk with food in your mouth. And there is this little button called "SHIFT". Unless newspeek has completely taken over and I did't get the telegram (what's a telegram dad?).

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]I carry either an XD45 or a Steyr M40 in an Uncle Mike's pancake holster or a Fobus Roto-holster (XD only for the latter). The Roto comes in both paddle and belt, both of which work well with this.
As others mentioned, shoulder or thigh holsters are options, but both have their drawbacks. A paddle or belt holster also has drawbacks, but it is my preferred form of OC while wearing an untucked T-shirt (which is what I usually wear).
[/align]

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

93sr20det wrote:
In the summer, at least, you can use those short length, form-fitting workout T-shirts. Or a short football jersey-type top. Or just cut the T-shirts you have if it will look halfway decent.

danbus

imported post

It's easy. I carry a S&W 1911 commander (4.25 in barrel) in a Blackhawk SERPA holster. Just make sure the whole gun is showing and your set.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,284

93sr20det

imported post

danbus wrote:
It's easy.  I carry a S&W 1911 commander (4.25 in barrel) in a Blackhawk SERPA holster.  Just make sure the whole gun is showing and your set.

THAT IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR THANKS!!!!!

kurtmax_0

imported post

If I'm wearing a t-shirt I normally tuck it in on the holster side. Sometimes I just drape the shirt between the holster and my side, but you have to be careful not to cover the pistol (unless you have a concealed permit).

I've been thinking of getting a thigh holster actually. I carry my pistol similar to the picture above, and it does get in the way when sitting down in my truck. I'm thinking a thigh holster might not. Dunno, gotta try one. I don't really care if people think I'm a 'tacticlol' dweeb, as long as it works best.

I'm also considering getting a shoulder holster. My only problem is I'd essentially sweep just about everybody behind me. I've never had a ND but I'd prefer not to be pointing the pistol at everybody regardless.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I OC with a T-shirt all the time. I either tuck in the side that the holster is on, or I just put the shirt in between myself and the holster. I do the same with a cell phone on the other side, so the shirt hangs out in the front and back, but not on the sides. True, my fashion tastes are probably even less socially acceptable than the fact that I am carrying, but oh well...:D

Cue-Ball

imported post

I open carry while wearing t-shirts all the time. In fact, I almost exclusively wear t-shirts, and I almost never tuck them in. The shirt fits fine between be and the holster. I think the key is wearing shirts that actually fit. Most guys seem to wear shirts that are two sizes too large.

I wear a OWB Desantis holster with a full size Springfield XD.

Drewesque

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
You think that OCing with a T-shirt is hard? Try CCing... That's hard...

Seriously, just tuck it in... The Law don't care about no fashion trends...
Y'know, I've had no problem CCing with a T-shirt, either. A good IWB holster works well. I use a Crossbreed QwikClip and even people who know I carry aren't sure I'm carrying.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Oh I forgot to mention. I do wear a belt when I carry, even with an untucked shirt and a paddle holster. The belt still adds some additional support and makes the whole rig quite solid.

And... lol @ the previous post. That would be a great carry rig ;)

It looks to be a paintball vest and not a bulletproof vest though. I never understood those things. Paintballs don't hurt.

USN_MA1

imported post

I don thave a picture but I dont tuck and I just put the shirt behind the gun and holster...the rest hangs. My guns know I love them, I dont need to dress up for them...:p

cato

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
And... lol @ the previous post. That would be a great carry rig ;)

It looks to be a paintball vest and not a bulletproof vest though. I never understood those things. Paintballs don't hurt.
I have an X-treme vest I wear at work that looks just like that one. I sure hope it wasn't designed for paint balls!:what: