• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great experiences openly carrying this week.

Cue-Ball

imported post

This week has been pleasantly uneventful, and gives me hope that open carry will be widely accepted all across our state (and nation) before long.

On Saturday my wife and I had to run a few errands. Our first stop was Fred Meyer (the Totem Lake location) where I spoke to no fewer than four employees, each time trying to find something that they didn't end up carrying. We actually left empty handed, but had an uneventful half hour or so in the store. Next stop was Denny's Pet World, where we made some quick purchases and didn't receive a second glance. After a quick stop-off at Discount Guns to buy a new Sig 232 and some ammo, we headed to the Kingsgate Safeway to buy some supplies for a B-day party on Sunday. Our shopping was short and sweet but, again, nobody batted an eye (I was wearing my full size XD 9mm this whole time). We stopped across the street at Subway on the way home. There were only a few customers but, again, nobody said anything or expressed any concern. I eat at this subway probably twice a week, and I've been openly carrying there for months now. Management/employees have never expressed any issues, and no customers have ever berated me.

Today I again went grocery shopping at the Safeway with my wife. This time we were stocking up for the week, so it took us about forty minutes. I had interactions with a few employees who were stocking shelves and whatnot - no negative comments at all. After dropping the groceries off at the house we hit the Jiffy Lube to get the oil changed in my car. When we went to leave, I noticed the "check engine" light was on. I had to get one of the guys to come pull the codes. He couldn't find the OBD port, so I ended up nosing around under the dash, and my gun was plainly visible to everyone concerned. :) Nobody said anything about my firearm and we eventually resolved the issue with the idiot light. After leaving the Jiffy Lube I stopped off at Schuck's to buy an air filter (didn't want to pay JL's price). Then we went back to Denny's Pet World, again, to buy more Bully Stix for our two boxer pups. We had a nice chat with one of the girls who worked there, and she even let me hold the bird that was perched on her shoulder (she looked like a model, but don't tell my wife I said that!). She didn't say anything about my gun, and was very pleasant the entire time.

Earlier this evening I decided to take one of our puppies for a walk around the neighborhood to get him some exercise. Note that I've carried openly around my neighborhood many times, but rarely have too much interaction with people since they are busy doing yardwork or getting their kids into the minivan. Today was different. After about the first block I heard what sounded like a car crash a few blocks over. I was going that direction anyway, and figured that I'd end up walking right past it. As I came around the next corner there was a gentleman out talking to his female neighbor. Both of them (and her daughter) noticed the puppy and, of course, wanted to pet him. We stopped and let everyone get in their pets when the woman asked me "why do you carry a gun"? I explained that I do it for my safety and the safety of others around me. She apologized for asking the question, but I told her I was more than happy to discuss it. She asked if it was legal and I said that it was, and that law abiding citizens don't even need a permit to openly carry a firearm. To my surprise, the neighbor supported my position and reiterated that a permit was only required for concealment. She seemed satisfied, and continued to chat with me about the accident up the street, neighborhood goings-on, etc. She didn't run screaming, and didn't whip out her cell and call the police. Franly, I was so pleasantly surprised that I was caught a bit off guard. :) Anyway, after exchaning a few more pleanantries, we left and continued on our walk. About half a block away, I came past the scene of the accident...just as the King County Sheriff was arriving. I'm not sure if
he saw my weapon or not, but nothing was said.

All in all, my best open carry experience so far. Not only did I have a positive interaction with a mama bear and her cub, but I met a neighbor who actually knows the law! So refreshing.

There are plenty of homes for sale in Kingsgate if any of you Tacoma residents feel like moving. :D

just_a_car

imported post

I'm very glad to hear this. Every one of these posts is just another example of what, I hope, is happening to our local, and perhaps national, mindset: it's okay to own guns and it's okay to bear them; only criminals use guns for nefarious purposes.

You mentioned a couple times that there were no negative comments. I didn't catch if all of the encounters at the businesses also lacked positive comments...? I only ask because if there was some positive reinforcement from employees/managment, then I'd be more than happy to add them to the Pro-Gun Businesses list on the Washington Businesses that Ban Guns thread.

Cue-Ball

imported post

just_a_car wrote
You mentioned a couple times that there were no negative comments. I didn't catch if all of the encounters at the businesses also lacked positive comments...? I only ask because if there was some positive reinforcement from employees/managment, then I'd be more than happy to add them to the Pro-Gun Businesses list on the Washington Businesses that Ban Guns thread.
Unfortunately, the only positive comments I received were from my neighbors. Honestly, I don't ever expect to get a positive comment from any business owner or worker. Most owners, I believe, would rather skirt the issue, and most employees probably believe they'd be putting their job at risk by "endorsing" a guy carrying a weapon. So, while I don't think any of the businesses that I mentioned are "pro-gun", I've had no issues after multiple visits to each, even when I'm fairly sure the employees knew I was carrying (I don't try to hide the fact, but we all know how unobservant most people are).

I think that a getting positive comment from a store employee would be like sighting a unicorn. :)

Cue-Ball

imported post

The Kingsgate Safeway on 124th Ave, and the Totem Lake Jiffy Lube on 124th St.

I really wish Kirkland had used named streets and numbered avenues. Using numbers for both is so damn confusing!

Mainsail

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:

I really wish Kirkland had used named streets and numbered avenues. Using numbers for both is so damn confusing!

KRAMER: I think it's over. We had a big fight, she threw me out, I started walkin', and now I'm lost downtown! I don't have any money. I don't recognize anybody. I miss home,and I don't even know how to get there.

JERRY: What's around you?

KRAMER: I'm lookin' at Ray's Pizza. You know where that is?

JERRY: Is it Famous Ray's?

KRAMER: No. It's Original Ray's.

JERRY: Famous Original Ray's?

KRAMER: It's just Original, Jerry!

JERRY: Well, what street are you on?

KRAMER: Hey, I'm on first and first. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.

xpun8

imported post

Mainsail wrote

KRAMER: I think it's over. We had a big fight, she threw me out, I started walkin', and now I'm lost downtown! I don't have any money. I don't recognize anybody. I miss home,and I don't even know how to get there.

KRAMER: Hey, I'm on first and first. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Stop...you're killin' me. That is an outstanding exchange, especially from a show about nothing. But they never seemed to discuss the restrictive gun laws of "the city".

DrewGunner

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Cue-Ball wrote:

Hahahaha!!