• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATTN:Military wanting a CCW Permit

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

I've been seeing a lot about non-resident Flordia permits lately, and decided to research it a little farther. I've already got my Texas permit but will probably be getting a Flordia one along with my wife.

Where this post applies to military is that you don't have to have any special training to get a Flordia CCW permit. Just make a copy of your Military ID Card and send it in with the package. The state of Flordia considers you being in the miltary to be enough training to qualify for a permit. This makes things a lot cheaper for us also.

Directly from the "how to apply page"

Get verification of training that satisfies the training requirement. The application lists acceptable documents. Make a photocopy to send with the application as an original cannot be returned. Persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card to satisfy the training requirement.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

My wife is also Military so this will simplfy the process and also make things cheaper for her/us.

Just thought some of ya'll might like to know this.

While on the topic of CCW permits in Texas if you are a member of the Armed Services (National Guard, Reserve, Active, Ect.) you can apply and hold a Texas concealed carry permit at the age of 18.
icon_cool.gif

Paratrooper82

imported post

Wow. I need to move to Texas...or get stationed there...

hmmm...

My real question is this.

I am 18, stationed at Ft Bragg, North carolina (Iraq at the moment, home soon), and a resident of washington. Now, can I apply for a texas CCW permit, being a non-resident? and if so, could I use this permit in other states? (looking up recipcrosity as i type this)

-John

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FL is a great state to have and I just sent for my application also! I'm getting my Utah as well and will have "The Big 3"; Virginia, Utah and Florida. Florida costs more, but you can get it in the mail, like you said. The Utah permit has a mandatory training requirement for everyone, but costs less. Training is always good, so it's really no big deal.

OBW, Utah DOES have a list of out of state instructors whose training they accept!

Here's their page: http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPHome.html

Attached is the list of out of state Utah Instructors.Get a course by one of them, send in the complete application with fingerprint cards and paymentand you're good to go!

OBW, on the list of Utah out-of-state instructors, you'll find our very own Philip Van Cleve (VCDLPresident), VCDL EM Bruce Jackson and VCDL Treasurer Kenneth Elliot!

EDIT: I just spoke to EM Bruce Jackson and he DOES still do training for both Virginia AND Utah (alternating weekends), so if you're in NOVA and interested in training for either (or BOTH),contact Bruce!

Attachments

• UTAH Instructors Out Of State.pdf
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,954

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Thank you for the information. I was going to geta Louisiana CCW, but if I can skip the training (which I've had over and over) and save some money, this is great. i just requested an application. Thanks!

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Paratrooper82 wrote:

hmmm...

I am 18, stationed at Ft Bragg, North carolina (Iraq at the moment, home soon), and a resident of washington. Now, can I apply for a texas CCW permit, being a non-resident? and if so, could I use this permit in other states? (looking up recipcrosity as i type this)

-John

I am unsure of Texas non-resident permits I've never really looked into it but if you go to this website you should be able to find an awnser somewhere.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

It appears that Louisiana has a military deal too. But you must show proof of training inorder for them to qualify you.

dlnwoody

imported post

Paratrooper82 wrote:

hmmm...

-John
The main thing you need to look at is the age requirement. Most states are 21 even if you are military.

dlnwoody

imported post

I was told the only way you get you DD214 is if you are seperated or retired from the service. In FL all I did was send a copy of my ID card.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
I was told the only way you get you DD214 is if you are seperated or retired from the service. In FL all I did was send a copy of my ID card.
Exactly. Active Duty only requires copy of ID card, correct. Separated or retired needs DD-214. Getting my prints for FL non-res tomorrow!

Joe Sixpack

imported post

this is how it works in ohio also..

if you're in the military or le all you have to do is file the paper work no need for a training class.

charlie12

imported post

Louisiana has a crazy way of doing it. When I first got my permit I used my DD-214 and since I've had to take refresher course twice to renew mine. Over a period of 11 yrs.

Giustiniani

imported post

Okay, Im trying to understand this, but it is a little confusing.

I am a resident of the state of Delaware. I want to get my CCDW. I am in the Air Force. If I want my CCDW from Florida, all I have to do is send them the packet and a copy of my Military ID card? DE and FL have reciprocity so that's not an issue.

Please advise.

Gwee

thnycav

imported post

Well if I had the power to do so I would make a national canceled carry permit that would be good in all 50 states. I would go by the basic standards of VA and other similar states. I would make a exception for the military. They could be under 21. If we can trust them with M16's and all the other firepower we can trust them with a handgun.

dlnwoody

imported post

The first part about a CPL good for all 50 states I agree with. The one about under 21 for military just because they shoot M16s and all the fire power. I highly disagree. I am in themilitary and have seen people shoot. I would not trust them carrying a BB gun but there are people under 21 that I could see giving them their CPL. I just don't think because they are military they should get one. I'm glad to see someone giving the troops some support.