Thread: Another gem from our enemies at the Roanoke Times

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/wb/xp-125649

I've already LTEd them and the Pilot. Pile on folks.

Post imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
    http://tinyurl.com/2owzew

I've already LTEd them and the Pilot. Pile on folks.

Hi Mr. Y-

This is the same link contained in your other post on tasers. Did you mean to post another link instead, or is this correct?

CD

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Thanks CD. I had a tinyurl for it but it doesn't seem to be responding via the tinyurl. Corrected either way.

Post imported post

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

It appears that the Roanoke Times is rather slow. A month and four days between the June 22nd court date and the July 26th article. Icannot believe the only thing the RT thought of was the term "common-sense public safety rules".

Post imported post

CPL_in_WA wrote:
    Icannot believe the only thing the RT thought of was the term "common-sense public safety rules".
    Yeah, that part was lacking journalistic propriety. All RT had to do is make the one sentence come out:

Localities, though, are left powerless to make [what many would consider]common-sense public safety rules.

The rest of the editorial was fine. The RT is taking a position, and it's not an unreasonable one, given their POV. And it's debatable.

Overall,this editorial is something to celebrate. It clearly accepts and explains thepreemption situation vis a vis local laws in the general caseand with the specific case of the Chet S./Harborfest event.

That's good news. Very good news. Preemption is being acknowledged and accepted, in writing, by the RT. Hard for them to back down on that in the future.

Post imported post

The RT isn't helping their cause when they lie in their editorial.

Roanoke came up against the gun lobby back in 1995, and lost, when it asked the General Assembly for permission to amend its charter so the city could ban handguns in city parks. The bill died in the House of Delegates -- though Virginia bans guns in state parks.

Localities, though, are left powerless to make common-sense public safety rules. If Richmond insists on keeping its tight hold, it should exercise more control.

A ban on guns in all parks in the state, rather than just state parks, for instance, would be clear.
    Those parks are sooo dangerous now because of all us gun totin' lunatics.

Post imported post

I haven't checked the code lately, but I could swear that Virginia does NOT ban guns in state parks, only the open carrying of them. Yes? No?

Post imported post

Awww, the anti's got their feelings hurt again!!! They want to tell you when and where it's okay to practice freedom and use those pesky "rights."

Sounds like more people need to open carry!

Post imported post

Chopper Dad wrote:
    I haven't checked the code lately, but I could swear that Virginia does NOT ban guns in state parks, only the open carrying of them. Yes? No?
    Right!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

If they feel so strongly about "protecting the public", why didn't they ban beer. They do have the authority to ban that in the public area during the festival. Maybe that is just another one of those things that some places do.

Post imported post

At least they had the sense enough to print a correction.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/wb/xp-125794

Editorial: Correction
    Correction

An editorial in Thursday's edition, "Gun shy in Norfolk," incorrectly said Virginia bans guns in state parks. The ban on concealed weapons was lifted in 2002 when then-Gov. Mark Warner agreed with a legal opinion issued by then-Attorney General Jerry Kilgore that the Conservation and Recreation Department lacked statutory authority to prohibit guns in state parks. Regulations still prohibit openly carrying weapons, except in areas designated for hunting.

Post imported post

vt357 wrote:
    The RT isn't helping their cause when they lie in their editorial.

Roanoke came up against the gun lobby back in 1995, and lost, when it asked the General Assembly for permission to amend its charter so the city could ban handguns in city parks. The bill died in the House of Delegates -- though Virginia bans guns in state parks.

Localities, though, are left powerless to make common-sense public safety rules. If Richmond insists on keeping its tight hold, it should exercise more control.

A ban on guns in all parks in the state, rather than just state parks, for instance, would be clear.
    Those parks are sooo dangerous now because of all us gun totin' lunatics.
    I thought National Parks were the only place guns were banned. When did Virginia State Parks fall into that category, or is there even such thing as a "state park"? I've seen a lot of city parks, and I've seen national parks (and forests). But I don't think I've stumbled upon a state park.

Post imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
    I thought National Parks were the only place guns were banned.* When did Virginia State Parks fall into that category, or is there even such thing as a "state park"?* I've seen a lot of city parks, and I've seen national parks (and forests).* But I don't think I've stumbled upon a state park.
    Read post above yours... just OC is banned, CC with permit is still fine on State Park
    -Unrequited