Thread: Duracoat DIY

Post imported post

Does anybody have any experience with Duracoat? Done it ?

I think I'd like to try it and I'm looking for any feedback anyone has with positive or negative experiences.

thanks in advance

Doug

Post imported post

I know a couple of guys who've done it and been happy with it, it looks pretty good. As for durablity, I've gotten mixed reportrs, some say it lasts well and some say that it doesn't. I am willing to bet that the guts who don't have a problem had it done by someone else, and the guys that don't like it did it themself.

The one comment they make is to get a real air compressor for the air brush, not the cheapo one from Duracoat.

Another good finsish that I've heard good things about is Norells.

Post imported post

Any paint type finish for a handgun, rifle, or for that matter anything metal needs proper prep or the durability suffers. Most people I know that use paint finishes usually do it on shotguns for camouflage or on AR-15/M-16 receivers.

Start with a good blast finish using either glass beads (beads, not ground glass) or walnut shell. De-grease well and apply paint evenly with a good airbrush. Then for the oven curing. For this, leave plenty of time for a "self clean" cycle afterwards and make sure the house is aired out before your wife/girlfriend returns home.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I don't know about Duracoat, but I think Armalloy is a superior coating and it's been around for MANYyears now.

Check it out: http://www.armoloy.com/

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

Hi Doug. I have used Duracoat to refinish my Ak47 and was very pleased with the results. The most important step is prepping your weapon correctly and using a decent air brush gun with a small compressor to apply it. Here is a picture of the Ak I used it on. If you have any other questions let me know.

Chris

Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

I'm actually getting ready to mess with home Parkerizing.

What's a good way to degrease things before treating them?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Bead blast in a cabinet. Then wash with MEK or Acetone.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"