• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Duracoat DIY

doug23838

imported post

Does anybody have any experience with Duracoat? Done it ?

I think I'd like to try it and I'm looking for any feedback anyone has with positive or negative experiences.

thanks in advance

Doug

JD

imported post

I know a couple of guys who've done it and been happy with it, it looks pretty good. As for durablity, I've gotten mixed reportrs, some say it lasts well and some say that it doesn't. I am willing to bet that the guts who don't have a problem had it done by someone else, and the guys that don't like it did it themself.

The one comment they make is to get a real air compressor for the air brush, not the cheapo one from Duracoat.

Another good finsish that I've heard good things about is Norells.

amlevin

imported post

Any paint type finish for a handgun, rifle, or for that matter anything metal needs proper prep or the durability suffers. Most people I know that use paint finishes usually do it on shotguns for camouflage or on AR-15/M-16 receivers.

Start with a good blast finish using either glass beads (beads, not ground glass) or walnut shell. De-grease well and apply paint evenly with a good airbrush. Then for the oven curing. For this, leave plenty of time for a "self clean" cycle afterwards and make sure the house is aired out before your wife/girlfriend returns home.

ChrisS819

imported post

Hi Doug. I have used Duracoat to refinish my Ak47 and was very pleased with the results. The most important step is prepping your weapon correctly and using a decent air brush gun with a small compressor to apply it. Here is a picture of the Ak I used it on. If you have any other questions let me know.

Chris

Attachments

• ak47.jpg
    ak47.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 482