• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nations Gun Show

possumboy

imported post

Just got back, was very disappointed... with the amount I had in bank account.

I almost bought a Glock 22c for the wife. After the CT rapes and murder, she is considering starting carrying. She is going to start CC then move to OC - I'm sure. Only taken me 13 years to get her to even touch my guns.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Took 11 years to convince my family, well the DC snipers and September 11th really did, just proved what I had been saying was right.

Back to the topic at hand, I went Friday, today and will go again tommorrow. I make that 3 day pass pay. :lol: A GLOCK 27 followed me home today. A M70 underfolder Kalashnikov almost did but I forgot to bring proof of citizenship to buy the 'assault rifle', no proof of citizenship needed for the pistol :banghead:.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2
In addition, no dealer shall sell, rent, trade or transfer from his inventory any assault firearm to any person who is not a citizen of the United States or who is not a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence. To establish citizenship or lawful admission for a permanent residence for purposes of purchasing an assault firearm, a dealer shall require a prospective purchaser to present a certified birth certificate or a certificate of birth abroad issued by the United States State Department, a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, an unexpired U.S. passport, a United States citizen identification card, a current voter registration card, a current selective service registration card, or an immigrant visa or other documentation of status as a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C01

For purposes of this section, "assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
VCDL does not pay for the table at the Chantilly show. It's donated for free by the show promoter for the efforts VCDL undertook to get laws changed and hence, allow a gun show in Ffx Co. Years ago the law was you had to wait 3 days before taking possession of a gun, which caused the closing of gun shows.

If I am wrong on any of the above info, please correct me.

So, we get a free table, but seem to get relegated to a less popular area of the show. You win some, you lose some. Also, you'll notice that most returning vendors are in the same spot at every show.

The three day waiting period that used to be imposed in Fairfax County was the result of a murder/suicide that took place on February 22, 1964 close to Seven Corners in a house on Carolyn Drive off of Sleep Hollow Road.

A woman who had a history of mental problems, purchased a revolver at Montgomery Wards in Seven Corners. On the 22nd, as three of her children returned home from school, she shot them to death. The baby was killed in the crib.

My wife and I both have a connection to this tragedy. She dated a boy whose family later bought that house. For me, the family was that of my 5th and 6th grade school principal. I saw him about 6 weeks after this. Talk about aging! Anyway, after this incident, Fairfax adopted the three day wait as a "cooling off" period.

IanB

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The three day waiting period ...
Thanks for that writeup, SB. I knew I had heard the reasoning before, but you added much more info to the story.

longwatch

imported post

Interesting I didn't know that Fairfax's waiting period went so far back. As for the proof of legal status law on 'assault weapons' that was enacted right after the CIA shooting in 1993.

Tomahawk

imported post

Okay, I was looking to see if it was mentioned anywhere else, but not so far, so I'll ask:

Bohdi and I were standing over by Sen. Cucinelli's table Sunday afternoon talking when suddenly there was a very loud crack from somewhere near the center rear of the floorspace. Several people ducked, and a few seconds later some of the convention center staff ran in that direction.

Strangely, most people just went back to browsing merchandise. Bohdi and I were done shopping and figured it was a good time to leave, anyway. We both assumed it a was negligent discharge, but when we got to the door it was a raging thunderstorm outside, so we thought maybe it was lightning after all. Thinking back on it, it was more of a crack than a bang, so maybe the building got struck.

Was anyone else there at the time? Anyone got the scoop?

longwatch

imported post

Wow I was about 20 yards from you over by the back wall. They anounced later it was lightning.

Tomahawk

imported post

Okay, that makes sense. I don't think I've ever been in a building struck by lightning before. Sure was loud.

One thing no one wants to hear at a gunshow is loud noises...

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Okay, I was looking to see if it was mentioned anywhere else, but not so far, so I'll ask:

Bohdi and I were standing over by Sen. Cucinelli's table Sunday afternoon talking when suddenly there was a very loud crack from somewhere near the center rear of the floorspace. Several people ducked, and a few seconds later some of the convention center staff ran in that direction.

Strangely, most people just went back to browsing merchandise. Bohdi and I were done shopping and figured it was a good time to leave, anyway. We both assumed it a was negligent discharge, but when we got to the door it was a raging thunderstorm outside, so we thought maybe it was lightning after all. Thinking back on it, it was more of a crack than a bang, so maybe the building got struck.

Was anyone else there at the time? Anyone got the scoop?

i saw bohdi at the Va guns and ammo tables around 2ish give or take half an hour. We chatted for a few but i did hear the crack you speak of, but i have no idea what it was (i was filling out my VCDL paperwork at the time).

happy carrying,

jason

zoom6zoom

imported post

One of the guys at ar15.com posted that it was a transformer just outside the building that blew.

I didn't go to the show since my discretionary funds were severely depleted this month. On the good side, I was finally able to pick up my S&W 617 that was transfered in to me - turns out it's been sitting at the dealer for two weeks but the guy who sent it neglected to put any paperwork in with it or even write my name on the box. Sweet revolver, though, trigger pull is like buttered glass. Can't wait to get it to the range.

bohdi

imported post

I wasn't going to bring it upand I didn't see anything in any papers, didn't want to give any ammo to any of our friends who are silent lurkers looking for ammo. Glad it turned out to be a lightning strike after all. After we left Tomahawk I began thinking that it probably was just lightning and not an AD. Still it was a bit unnerving :D

Glad to have run into you and Kodiak.

bizziemulz

imported post

Thats funny, cuz I heard that same "pop" at the show on Sunday. It was right around when the rain was pouring. At first I thought some dumb f**K put a live round in the chamber, but then it was clear it was either the lightening (freaky!!) or a breaker.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
i saw bohdi at the Va guns and ammo tables around 2ish give or take half an hour. We chatted for a few but i did hear the crack you speak of, but i have no idea what it was (i was filling out my VCDL paperwork at the time).
Congrats Kodiak! I think it'll be $25 well spent. I just re-upped my membership via snail mail.

DoubleR