• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silly Question

G27

imported post

Now, while I am pretty versed in the laws of Washington pertaining to guns, is there any law that prohibits against concealing my weapon in public if I feel the need to? I know that unconcealing my weapon could be used in violation of RCW 9.41.270. which is one of the most broad laws I've read so far. :rolls eyes: Just curious as to your guys take on that. I know in a lot of states it is illegal to do that, so didn't know if Washington had a law like that, too. Maybe I'm missing something.

G27

imported post

Who doesn't? :lol: I know it seems like a stupid question but I remember talking to an officer about it before I even got a gun/license and he said it was illegal. Now, after being a member on these forums for awhile I can take what an LEO says with a grain of salt but still, just making sure. :)

just_a_car

imported post

As long as you have a WA CPL, there's no reason why it would be illegal to go from OC to CC....

Heck, I did so at the BBQ this last 21st! Was OC'ing "mexican" and Lonnie thought it best to not provoke the TacPD, since that form of carry is usually frowned upon, though so is OC, but I agreed and immediately untucked my shirt and covered my Glock, in full view of the officers.

Now, do I know of any law specifically making that illegal? Nope, I don't think there is, but I'm not 100% sure.

just_a_car

imported post

ROFL!

Yano, it's probably the best way for me to carry in some places, especially where OC is absolutely not and option. Not that it's illegal in those places, it's just that I risk being kicked out. If you're curious about what I'm referring to, check out this thread.

As for OC, I've decided on probably picking up a Serpa CQC from Sam's, where I'm also a member of the range... hopefully that will get me a discount or something, since the rangemaster knows me on a first name basis.

G27

imported post

And get this, I just found a law not even in the firearms portion of our RCW 9.4 that bans firearms from an outdoor music festival!! I have to look it up again for sepcific stature number, but I was shocked. I wonder if there are any other gun banned events and or areas that are not in the firearms section hiding about state law. Anyone find anything yet? I'm sure Ronnie is the main man to ask.

uncoolperson

imported post

G27 wrote:
And get this, I just found a law not even in the firearms portion of our RCW 9.4 that bans firearms from an outdoor music festival!! I have to look it up again for sepcific stature number, but I was shocked. I wonder if there are any other gun banned events and or areas that are not in the firearms section hiding about state law. Anyone find anything yet? I'm sure Ronnie is the main man to ask.

yeah, but arn't there size (how many people) restrictions.... seemed to me when i read that i was almost specific to things like the gorge.

(with as out of control as those pits get, makes sense to me... kinda like bars)

joeroket

imported post

RCW 70.108.020
Definitions.

[/b]For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

There are quite a few laws that involve firearms that do not reside in 9.41. I have said this in the past but apparently it was ignored.

The key to this is the last sentance. This RCW is applicable to, typically, private outdoor festivals. The State Fairs do not fall under this RCW.

Phssthpok

imported post

......PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.
Reads to me like anything that requires the ...producers?.... to aquire a permit for their event would be excluded from this section.

[yoda]Thinking like a lawyer, I am...yesss...[/yoda]

joeroket

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
......PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.
Reads to me like anything that requires the ...producers?.... to aquire a permit for their event would be excluded from this section.

[yoda]Thinking like a lawyer, I am...yesss...[/yoda]

Yes you are Yoda. :p

I am curious about this part of it as well. I have not yet looked for the other required licensing RCW's and WAC's. Basically though all concerts, the venues themselves, ban firearms from thier premises.