• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hoffman Theater in Alexandria

echo6tango

imported post

Has anyone OC'd at the Hoffman theater in Alexandria? Although I live in MD, sometime ago I decided I could no longer stomach taking my family to the movies at MD theaters (if you've been to the Waldorf theater at night recently, you understand). I've been to the Hoffman theater many times, and every time I went through the door, there was a uniformed Alexandria officer standing just inside the door by the ticket takers. I was wondering if anyone had carried and if so, what your experience was. I've looked and have yet to see a "No Guns" sign at their entrance.

Thanks!

rebelunion

imported post

I was at Hoffman last month and recall spotting a small circular sticker in the corner of one of the doorsat the main entrancethat has a revolver with a red line drawn over it. If I'm not mistaken, it was way down at the bottom of the window pane on an exterior door, and not duplicated onthe second set of doors just inside.Based on what other retail places believe such wordless stickers imply, my guess is it's their way of saying "Open and Concealed Carry Prohibited".

echo6tango

imported post

I'll have to look for that next time I'm there. I wonder if that means that only revolvers are not allowed and anything else is...okay? :D. I usually pride myslef in looking for the obvious signs, but I won't stop and read a "Rules" poster in a 4-point font with 10,000 words (i.e. Potomac Mills Mall). Thanks for the heads up!

Ghettokracker71

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Wait, what's a uniformed LEO doing hanging out in a movie theater?
Your kidding me,...right. Man there is uniformed LEOs all over the place, nowadays. I personally know one who sits at the bar in T.G.I. Fridays on friday and saturday nights. Sheetz used to have one at all times,now alot of them are just security gaurds. The movie theatre I used to goto alot more, commonwealth 20 off of hull street in chesterfield/midlothian, ...wait,is that brandermill? Either way,theres always at least one LEO sitting outside uniformed with his patrol car,and another inside. I've been stopped there and asked to put my fixed blade in full veiw away,and other times I've had the LEO clearly notice it,and just nod to me.:banghead:

Tomahawk

imported post

I was there last night, there is a "No weapons allowed" sign with a crossed-out handgun picture on the bottom corner of several, if not all, of the doors at the entrance. And, as usual, there is an APD cop standing inside. There is usually a cruiser parked right in front, too.

Bottom line: Hoffman Center is anti-gun.

Oracle

imported post

Movie theaters in Alexandria are required to hire off-duty police as security. The requirement is part of their special use permit issued by the City of Alexandria.

SIGguy229

imported post

Gee....does that sound likea scam? So employers with a special use permit are required to provide off-duty employment for police officers? I say that without disdain for police officers, but shouldn't the owner decide what kind of security he/she should provide vs the gov't dictating the requirement (i.e. "must have physical security in place", etc)

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Wait, what's a uniformed LEO doing hanging out in a movie theater?
Probably the same reason a LEO was working security at the IHOP in Alexandria
Around here, IHOPs hired off-duty cops (in uniform) for security during the midnight+ hours, as the places fill up with drunkards as the bars close.

Cops guarding a movie theater seems odd to me, but then a lot of things in NoVA seem odd to me. ;)

AbNo

imported post

Oracle wrote:
Movie theaters in Alexandria are required to hire off-duty police as security. The requirement is part of their special use permit issued by the City of Alexandria.

Ok, so they are off-duty LEOs?

I was going to have a large problem is on-duty cops were playing security guard.

unrequited

imported post

AbNo wrote:

I was going to have a large problem is on-duty cops were playing security guard.
They're on-duty I'm assuming because they're in full uniform, and a car is parked constantly in the fire-lane right in front of the theater.

AbNo

imported post

unrequited wrote:
AbNo wrote:

They're on-duty I'm assuming because they're in full uniform, and a car is parked constantly in the fire-lane right in front of the theater.

Then it might be time to file a complaint somewhere.

JustACitizen

imported post

AbNo wrote:
unrequited wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Then it might be time to file a complaint somewhere.
Im not sure about FFX county, but in PWC, off duty LEO's working details off duty are always in full uniform, and 99% of the time driving their cruiser. Bowl America just off Rte 1 in woodbridge has one every friday and saturday night. I've spoken with them many a times. Perks of the job maybe, getting to use the car that we pay for gas in, for their off duty details?? Who knows.... :p

JustACitizen

imported post

AbNo wrote:
And that's why it PO's me.

He wants to play po-po in his spare time, I shouldn't be paying for it.
Maybe next time, we should just siphon off our portion of gas from the tank.... although.... maybe thats not such a good idea. :lol: Im sure there is something in the VAC about stealing fuel from a county vehicle. :banghead: