• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is why I want to carry at church...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I can't see this ever happening in my church, but isn't that what most victims say after a horrible tragedy? Usually it's something like "We live in a good town, I just don't understand". It's best to always be prepared. Thank the Lord these guys were stopped before they were able to put their plans in action.

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=news&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200707/1227745161.html

Police: Teens Plotted To Bomb Church

Jul 26 2007 6:37AM

WESTERVILLE, Ohio - Police arrested a pair of teenagers whom they said devised a plot to blow up a church and two restaurants in this Columbus suburb.

Daniel Woodrum, 15, and Scott Ennis, 16, were being charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated arson. Investigators said the two Westerville North High School students went as far as climbing onto the roof of St. Paul's Catholic Church to plan where they would plant pipe bombs.

[align=center]SLIDESHOW: Images From Case[/align]
Police said a 15 year old who had contact over the Internet with one of the teenagers led them to uncovering the plot.

This girl, whom 10TV was not identifying for her own safety, said she was chatting with Woodrum at myspace.com when the conversation turned so scary, she was prompted to contact police.

"I was really weirded (sic)out. I didn't know what to do or how to react to him."

The girl said Woodrum told her he had an accomplice.

Police documents indicated Ennis as that second suspect. Details of the police report spelled out Woodrum's plan to shoot people at two local restaurants and plant pipe bombs at St. Paul's Catholic Church and School.

The girl told 10TV News the instant message exchange she had with Woodrum suggested an even more disturbing plot.

"Just chain up the church doors during mass and kill everybody inside so no one could get in or out."

She said Woodrum indicated he and Ennis would then kill themselves.

Westerville Division of Police Lt. Tracey Myers said the teens admitted they planned to carry out an attack.

"They went as far as climbing up on the roof of the church and planning where they were going to put pipe bombs, and figure out how they were actually going to do this."

The girl who contacted police said she could not have lived with herself if an attack on the scale of what happened at Virginia Tech University or Columbine High School took place in central Ohio.

"I know its a huge problem now," she said. "A lot of things like that have happened in the past years and nobody has really been able to stop it. And I thought I'll try and be the first."

She said she printed a transcript of the chat and called a friend to drive her to the Westerville Municipal Building since her father was not at home in order to get the information to police as soon as possible.

Investigators did not reveal which restaurants may have been the target of the plot.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for the latest details on this investigation.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
The girl told 10TV News the instant message exchange she had with Woodrum suggested an even more disturbing plot.

"Just chain up the church doors during mass and kill everybody inside so no one could get in or out."

Scary.

I don't see the basis for various laws that restrict carry in places of worship. The church is just another public place where people live life. Nothing particularly special about it besides the obvious purpose of the place.

Let the individual church prohibit carry if it so desires. That's fine.

But keep the gubmint out of it.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

BTW, in Ohio, you are allowed to carry with the clergy's permission. I have not spoke with my pastor yet because I still haven't figured out how to ask the "can I bringmy gun to church" without coming off as crazy. I am going to ask, but I know several people would not be happy about it, and I'm not sure yet what my pastor will think of the idea. So I might wait until I get a CCW. Yeah, I know what everyone is thinking! :DChicken!Ask already! Geez, give me a break!:D

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
Yeah, I know what everyone is thinking! :DChicken!Ask already! Geez, give me a break!:D

Nah, you're just being considerate about your fellow parishioners and the pastor.

Nothing wrong with that. I say you get some social consideration points, actually.

Maybe some brownie points from the big guy, too. ;)

ralphb72

imported post

Well, here in Indiana it is NOT illegal to carry in a Church, HOWEVER, any of the 3 churches I attend have a school on the same property. One is connected to the Church by a breezeway and shares a parking lot, one is connected by an underground tunnel and shares a parking lot, one is a totally separate building but shares a parking lot.

A book I read recently by the Indiana Lawyer Bryan Ciyou, ( http://www.indianahandgunlaw.com/) says that most any church can or may be considered a school if there are even sunday school classes held there, but for the most part, his opinions in this book seem to err on the cautious side which is to be expected.

So, I'm really not sure about the leaglity of carry in a Church here, or evenleaving it in a vehicleand parking on a public street or lot near the Church.

I am 99.9% sure what the reaction of the pastor would be if I had to ask him first though.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

This is the EXACT reason why I don't go to Church.

The good Lord would not be able to Protect me anyways,him Personally anyways. He just gave me the means to Protect my family, myselfand the fellow Church goers. So indirectly he would be considered Protecting me since he insipred somebody once upon a time to "create" firearms.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

This is the EXACT reason why I don't go to Church.

The good Lord would not be able to Protect me anyways,him Personally anyways. He just gave me the means to Protect my family, myselfand the fellow Church goers. So indirectly he would be considered Protecting me since he insipred somebody once upon a time to "create" firearms.

Thiskind of threat isnot enough to make me quit church. My faith is more important than my gun beliefs. I know this is not a religious forum, but Christians many years ago still met together even when the risks were much greater. If they could do it back then when it was a good possibility they could be killed, I can make it to church and put up with the remote chance some crazy people like these teens might target my church. It reinforces the fact that having a way to defend yourself is important. Churches are "soft" targets, and I think it would be wise for the law to be changed to allow firearms in the states that don't allow it.

I understand where you are coming from, this is just my 2 cents.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I find it VERY interesting that they (Churches) want to EXERCISE their 1ST AMENDMENT right, and would feel offened if they couldn't cuz that would be discriminatory:what:.

Yet they ( Churches ) denies me (US ) to EXERCISE our 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS.

"NO GUN - NO $$$" is still the Principle.

Nobody has to go to Church to be religious. Just take a look at all the Faithful Priests from the Catholic Church as an Example + ALL the OTHER RIGHTEOUS RELIGIOUSLEADERS that do all kinds of Crimes.

To me there are more Honest and Sane People OUTSIDE of any CHURCH than inside.

Just don't get me started on Rev. Jackson, who to me does NOT deserve his title.

( I'm feeling that Bulge growing in my Head....Ooosa. I need to find the Pressurepoint)

Just my .45