• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Small Problem, Need Help!

nextlevelcell

imported post

Ok I am going to try and make this as short as possible.

I have just recently found this site as a referral from defensivecarry.com

Now that being said I have been looking into things all over about open carry and have gotten excited. So last night open carrying at home the wife says lets go get some Mountain Dew for you at the corner store. I said ok. Then the bomb. She wants me to lock up the gun. Now keep in mind I have no CPL and also can not get one until next year from being dumb a few years back. With that said she was nervous that "SOMETHING" would "HAPPEN" if I did. Now also keep in mind I know the owners son or nephew that works there more then full time hours.

Even if that was not the case I am still aloud to Open Carry.

So what can I print off to keep on my person to show that it is ok and make her feel more comfortable? Also my OTB holster does not have retention, not sure if that matters that much though.

Side Note: I Live in Grand Rapids the N.E. side of Grand Rapids.

The corner store is like literally a stones throw away; maybe even a pebble throw away.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! (Don't want an unhappy home)

unrequited

imported post

Please read this:
http://opencarry.org/mi.html

also note, "Firearms may be openly carried in cars only with a permit/license." So if you're walking to the corner store, that's okay, just print out the preemption clause from the state code (from that page) so in case you're walking through a town which has old laws on the books which aren't enforceable. Other than that, there's no open carry law that I'm aware of that you could carry with you such as there's no law that says you're allowed to wear a red shirt... if it's not illegal, it's legal.

Lew

imported post

Hey, glad you're excited. We're excited too! It's a great thing, and you'll find lots of people here that work everyday to secure our rights. The onus of working out the details with your fine lady is on you, but welcome to Open Carry. Remember, you're the man of the house. :monkey
:uhoh:

ghostrider

imported post

Hello,

Let me know how it goes (if you cross the path of LEO or not, any comments, etc...). I also live on the N.E. side of GR (not one of the better areas. By Lookout Park). I wouldn't exactly consider GR a gun friendly town.

nextlevelcell

imported post

I live near college and leonard intersection.

we should get together and open carry....lol :celebrate

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nextlevelcell wrote:
She wants me to lock up the gun...

...PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! (Don't want an unhappy home)

I hear there's a sale on backbone at the Piggly Wiggly. Why don't ya go get some?
;)
Just ribbing you, man. I know that in my house if mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy. Good luck on convincing her that everything will most likely be fine if you open carry to the store.

ghostrider

imported post

nextlevelcell wrote:

we should get together and open carry....lol :celebrate
We aren't far apart. While I'm not against OC, as a matter of security I don't want the gangbangers and crackheads in my neighborhood knowing that I have a gun. I make an effort to keep it that way, and OC would defeat that purpose. If I lived somewhere else where crime wasn't as bad, things may be different.

AbNo

imported post

nextlevelcell wrote:

we should get together and open carry....lol  :celebrate

Well, you could arrange an "accidental" run in with someone while you're out with your girl.

Also, there's some phrase I'm thinking of.

Kitty Whipped, or something that sounds like it. I can't put my tounge on it, though. :lol: