• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good use for a Concealed Handgun Permit in Virginia

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cato wrote:
We'll lets just call July, "Jessy Jackson Buy a gun month" because I've already bought 4 this month and can't spend more today. Oh well, I'll just have to save for July 28th, 2008!

Buy a Jesse Jackson Gun Day is actually AUGUST 28.
I'm thinking those who can't afford one that day (believe me, I know how THAT goes) might buy ammo or accessories.

AbNo

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Come on, Virginians, you will never achieve the coveted F rating from the Brady Bunch that we enjoy! We are trying for Alaska carry right now, and maybe this will give us a rating of F minus!

Good luck with that!

I might move to TN if you do.

kle

imported post

Forty-five wrote:
The 625 is awesome. Mine is a real tack driver. If you're into 1911s and other .45s, it is a great addition to have.

A 1911 (or two!) is on my list of "to own someday", probably a 1911A1 or one with the more modern beavertail. Right up there with a Colt Python and the rest of the HK P7 series.

From what I've read, the 625 can take .45 Auto Rim--can it also take .45GAP with the moon-clips? I'm all about ammo versatility. That, and being able to fire the less expensive but major ammo--.22LR is fun, but the bigger stuff is a different kind of fun. And from what I've seen, .45ACP and 9mm are cheaper than .357 Magnum or even .38 Special.

If it's still there today, I think I will pick up that 625; the Ruger SP101 can wait =)

Forty-five

imported post

kle wrote:
From what I've read, the 625 can take .45 Auto Rim--can it also take .45GAP with the moon-clips?
I only use .45ACP (w/moonclips) with mine, as I always have plenty of it on hand. By the way, if you don't like dealing with the steel moonclips (especially at the range), you can try RIMZ which are plastic. Although, as you noted, the .45 auto rim gets around that issue.
http://www.beckhamdesign.com/html/rimz_products.html

lunghd

imported post

And on my birthday too! Reckon I'll have to he'p ol' Jessee out & buy one or three...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
So when you find three guns you really like, you can buy all on the same day.

Well, okay, I only bought two of them.

I bought the Rock Island Armory 1911 and a Bersa 9mm.

Found the Bersa .45 I've been looking for, almost.  It was 2-toned, and used.  VAOpencarry says he can get me one, though....so if he can, it'll be my Jesse Jackson gun.

How do you like the Rock? That's what I carry; haven't seen a single failure YET, even during break-in. Well over 750 rounds now...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Tess wrote:
So when you find three guns you really like, you can buy all on the same day.

Well, okay, I only bought two of them.

I bought the Rock Island Armory 1911 and a Bersa 9mm.

Found the Bersa .45 I've been looking for, almost. It was 2-toned, and used. VAOpencarry says he can get me one, though....so if he can, it'll be my Jesse Jackson gun.

How do you like the Rock? That's what I carry; haven't seen a single failure YET, even during break-in. Well over 750 rounds now...
Actually, I've only put about 50 rounds through it. Sweetest thing I ever shot. Straight out of the box, accurate within a 4" group in the 9 ring (outstanding shooting for me) at 20', nearly that good at 40 or so.

Not going to be my primary carry gun, though, unless I get a holster that carries it closer to the body, perhaps IWB. Scratched the crap out of the inside of my right arm when I carried it in the Serpa.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Tess, you sound like you shoot like I do. :D

Funny thing is, my groups are just as good if I'm stepping to the side....

One of those things that I probably would get better if I practiced more, and more faithfully. I figure 4" means I can consistently hit head, center of mass, or groin, so I don't fear being ineffective if I have to use it.

I dream of the day I can spend a few hours with a coach, or take a couple of refresher classes, and improve my actual aim. Over the past few years, both my eyesight and my weight fluctuated a lot, so I have a lot of work to do to get better.

AbNo

imported post

Say Tess, which RI 1911 did you get?

I've got the Tactical model on standby. :celebrate

Skeletonized hammer and trigger, dovetail'ed sights....

It's gonna be nice!

swatpro911

imported post

I didnt have time to read every post here so I am just going to ask u guys these questions, If I have my CHP I can go down to any gunshop and buy as many handgun as possible without any limitation? What if I am transferring from other states? Can I pick up my gun from the dealer day to day basis or I have to wait til next month. My partner and I have CHP but was told by the dept that its not required but anyway we got our CHP. :D

Scheetz

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
I didnt have time to read every post here so I am just going to ask u guys these questions, If I have my CHP I can go down to any gunshop and buy as many handgun as possible without any limitation? What if I am transferring from other states? Can I pick up my gun from the dealer day to day basis or I have to wait til next month. My partner and I have CHP but was told by the dept that its not required but anyway we got our CHP. :D

They will give you another form to fill out when you buy the second handgun. I cant remember what the form is called though.

I have no idea how the CHP works though if you are not a VA citizen. I know it will have to be shipped to the FFL in your home state. I guess from there you will have to follow your states laws on handgun purchases.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
Yes, you can go to a dealer and buy more than one handgun at a time if you have a VA CHL. I don't know about how other states play into it. The questions you'll run in to, of course, are how MANY you're going to buy at once, and why, and how the dealer feels about it. Remember, a dealer can refuse to sell if he has a reason to think you're not not on the up-and-up.

Just an example, if I were selling, and someone came in, examined wares, and decided he wanted to complete his collection - say, 3 or 4 models of the same line, or something - that probably wouldn't raise my suspicion. If someone wanted to buy 3 or 4 (or more) inexpensive 1911s, or a few of anything else, that would cause me to reconsider that sale.

I didn't have to fill out a DIFFERENT form; it was the same one (bought from two different dealers on the same day). If you buy from the same dealer, I think it's easier.

When you buy from two, you have to tell the second up front that you've purchased another within the previous 30 days, because if he doesn't enter the CHL information, the (computerized) system will reject you - at least that's my understanding from the people I've bought from less than 30 days after my last purchase.

30 cal slut

imported post

question on long guns ... say i'm a nonresident with a valid (NR) virginia CCW ... are there any restrictions on VAFFL's to sell to me (quantity and type)?

thx.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Shouldn't be, 30cal. However, some dealers will not sell long guns to non-residents, even though it's legal, because they are not sure of the laws of the other state and just don't want the hassle.

Virginia dealers also normally ask for additional ID (proof of citizenship / residence) for "evil black rifle" purchases.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Shouldn't be, 30cal. However, some dealers will not sell long guns to non-residents, even though it's legal, because they are not sure of the laws of the other state and just don't want the hassle.

Virginia dealers also normally ask for additional ID (proof of citizenship / residence) for "evil black rifle" purchases.
That is actually the law, so bring your passport, voter card, or birth certificate, etc. if you want to buy an "assault firearm".

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2
In addition, no dealer shall sell, rent, trade or transfer from his inventory any assault firearm to any person who is not a citizen of the United States or who is not a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence. To establish citizenship or lawful admission for a permanent residence for purposes of purchasing an assault firearm, a dealer shall require a prospective purchaser to present a certified birth certificate or a certificate of birth abroad issued by the United States State Department, a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, an unexpired U.S. passport, a United States citizen identification card, a current voter registration card, a current selective service registration card, or an immigrant visa or other documentation of status as a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

"Assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

AbNo

imported post

Oddly enough, Wally World has a good reference on this.

Go to the rifle case in the sporting goods area. There's a little green and red map of the US, with a list of states you can be from and buy longarms.

sjhipple

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Oddly enough, Wally World has a good reference on this.

Go to the rifle case in the sporting goods area. There's a little green and red map of the US, with a list of states you can be from and buy longarms.
How much you wanna bet 80% of the employees can't tell which state is which on that map ;)