• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good use for a Concealed Handgun Permit in Virginia

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So when you find three guns you really like, you can buy all on the same day.

Well, okay, I only bought two of them.

I bought the Rock Island Armory 1911 and a Bersa 9mm.

Found the Bersa .45 I've been looking for, almost. It was 2-toned, and used. VAOpencarry says he can get me one, though....so if he can, it'll be my Jesse Jackson gun.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The BAG (Buy a gun) Day for Jesse Jackson is on the 28th right? I think that deserves its own thread. Heck all the gun forums should have a competition to see who can generate the most gun in civilian hands.

Tomahawk

imported post

longwatch wrote:
The BAG (Buy a gun) Day for Jesse Jackson is on the 28th right? I think that deserves its own thread. Heck all the gun forums should have a competition to see who can generate the most gun in civilian hands.
Awesome. :dude:

kle

imported post

Tess wrote:
Aye--that's why I got my CHP in the first place, and not to be able to carry a gun concealed. I don't live or work in a "bad neighborhood", so I wasn't initially thinking of carrying for self-defense. But I recognize the need to be prepared (S can HTF without warning), so I carry a small revolver in my pocket.

And if I happen to see some hardware I'd like to buy, well, I don't have to choose just one =)

I bought a nice toy today: a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible, 4 5/8", .357 Magnum/.38 Spl/9mm. And Trader Joe's got a pretty nice-feeling used S&W 625 (5", .45ACP) that I'm on the fence about...I like wheelguns in autoloader calibers =)

ParaWarthog

imported post

Congratulations on your new purchases, Tess! Let us know how you like each gun at the shooting range. I prefer shooting 1911s like the Rock Island at the range, but others like the DA / SA configuration like the Bersa. Also, keep an eye out for the thin metal pin that connects the trigger to the hammer actuator on the Bersa. It's located under the right removable grip plate, and becomes worn and needs to be replaced after some time.

And this is slightly OT, but is the VCDL working to eliminate the one handgun per month rule? I think we can all agree that since one can buy unlimited amounts of guns from private sales with no time limit, the one handgun per month (especially with the NICS check) is a little overstepping.

AbNo

imported post

longwatch wrote:
The BAG (Buy a gun) Day for Jesse Jackson is on the 28th right?

Wait, today? Or next month?

'cause if it's today, it's a good thing the Co-Op has a decent layaway program... :lol:

Edit: Whew, it's next month. I should have a bit of extra cash in line by then.

I'll talk Shayne into it, as well... :lol:

Goliath

imported post

Congrats on the purchases. I think your gonna like the Rock Island. I have had one for a while and carry it every day. A good little gun for the money.

Goliath

Ghettokracker71

imported post

AbNo wrote:
longwatch wrote:
The BAG (Buy a gun) Day for Jesse Jackson is on the 28th right?

Wait, today? Or next month?

'cause if it's today, it's a good thing the Co-Op has a decent layaway program... :lol:

Edit: Whew, it's next month. I should have a bit of extra cash in line by then.

I'll talk Shayne into it, as well... :lol:
I hope its next month,then I'll be 21:celebrate w00t. I was planning on picking up a kel-tec on my birthday,and I want a SA XD40 ,too. Man I'm getting deep...I only got my first (hand) peice like a month ago

anybody have any other info about the BAG day?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I bought a nice toy today: a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible, 4 5/8", .357 Magnum/.38 Spl/9mm. And Trader Joe's got a pretty nice-feeling used S&W 625 (5", .45ACP) that I'm on the fence about...I like wheelguns in autoloader calibers =)

You need to talk to my husband. He can't say anything about me owning the Bersa in all the calibers, because he owns all the Blackhawks!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I hope its next month,then I'll be 21:celebrate w00t. I was planning on picking up a kel-tec on my birthday,and I want a SA XD40 ,too. Man I'm getting deep...I only got my first (hand) peice like a month ago

anybody have any other info about the BAG day?

Yes, "Buy a Jesse Jackson Gun" day is AUGUST 28.

I'd really like to try to get some nationwide publicity started on these little movements to buy a legal gun that day. I'd like some national news agency to report an uptick in gun sales that day!

Longwatch is right - it needs itw own thread.

Forty-five

imported post

kle wrote:
...And Trader Joe's got a pretty nice-feeling used S&W 625 (5", .45ACP) that I'm on the fence about...I like wheelguns in autoloader calibers =)
The 625 is awesome. Mine is a real tack driver. If you're into 1911s and other .45s, it is a great addition to have.

vtme_grad98

imported post

Tess wrote:

You need to talk to my husband. He can't say anything about me owning the Bersa in all the calibers, because he owns all the Blackhawks!
My wife made a rule a while ago that I couldn't buy any new caliber guns anymore. That lasted until I got a 1911 and started dipping into our stash of .45 ammo. Now it's "hey, look at that .40 there. I bet you'd have a lot of fun shooting that gun. Oh, and a .270. You should get both."

zoom6zoom

imported post

It is nice not to have to worry about the 30 days. The week before I got my CHP, I found a beautiful Ladysmith at the Dulles show - and remembered at the very last minute that it had been 26 days since my last pistol purchase. And of course I haven't seen one as nice at an equivalent price since.

TrueBrit

imported post

Tess wrote:

Well, okay, I only bought two of them.

I bought the Rock Island Armory 1911 and a Bersa 9mm.

Found the Bersa .45 I've been looking for, almost. It was 2-toned, and used. VAOpencarry says he can get me one, though....so if he can, it'll be my Jesse Jackson gun.

May I take it, then, that a VA CPL holder is exempt from the silly "one gun a month"rule? Does this rule apply to long guns also? Seems like here in KY, we can buy as many as we like, pack as many as we can manage, nor are we restricted to guns, since our CDWLs allow us to carry switch blades, bowie knives, brass knuckles, blackjacks, nunchukas and ninja throwing stars concealed!

Come on, Virginians, you will never achieve the coveted F rating from the Brady Bunch that we enjoy! We are trying for Alaska carry right now, and maybe this will give us a rating of F minus!Please try harder!:lol:(Just having fun with y'all!)

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.

blk

imported post

I have purchased 4 hand guns in the last 2.5 months. 2 Rock Island 1911s and 2 Kel-Tec PK32s.

Tennessee and guns go together even though Al Gore is from here and his buddy the Dope from Hope is from across the river.

I bought the Kel-Tecs last week. Does that count for Jesse Jackson Buy A Gun Day?

kle

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
May I take it, then, that a VA CPL holder is exempt from the silly "one gun a month"rule? Does this rule apply to long guns also?
generally, in VA an elligible person is restricted to buying one handgun every 30 days (30 days between purchases). Exceptions are for CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) holders, and a few others (can't remember off the top of my head).

Long guns are not so-restricted--one can buy as many as they want, whenever they want.

dichamw

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA
imported post

kle wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
May I take it, then, that a VA CPL holder is exempt from the silly "one gun a month"rule? Does this rule apply to long guns also?
generally, in VA an elligible person is restricted to buying one handgun every 30 days (30 days between purchases). Exceptions are for CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) holders, and a few others (can't remember off the top of my head).

Long guns are not so-restricted--one can buy as many as they want, whenever they want.
Believe it isunlimited hand gun purchasefor VA CHP holders.

cato

imported post

We'll lets just call July, "Jessy Jackson Buy a gun month" because I've already bought 4 this month and can't spend more today. Oh well, I'll just have to save for July 28th, 2008!

TrueBrit

imported post

kle wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, Sir, I think that I will stick to my Old Kentucky Home when it comes to buying a Jesse Jackson Special!;)Maybe another revolver, maybe a bit "cowboy" looking! Jesse will be proud of me!

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.