• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beaver Stadium

Diesel23

imported post

Hello all,

I live in VA but I'm coming up to PA in Sept and going to a Penn State game. Can you CC or OC at the game? Has anyone done either and if so I just want to make sure it's legal as I don't know PA laws the way I do with VA. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Diesel23 wrote:
Hello all,

I live in VA but I'm coming up to PA in Sept and going to a Penn State game. Can you CC or OC at the game? Has anyone done either and if so I just want to make sure it's legal as I don't know PA laws the way I do with VA. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Weapons, along with many other things are not allowed in the Statium, let alone in the parking lot.

Go to the link I provided below, scroll down quite a bit and you will find their official policies regarding what you can and cannot have.

Hope this helps!

http://www.psu.edu/sports/football/99stadiumrules.html

Steve in PA

imported post

I've carried concealed there several times.

There is no law against carrying at PSU only their policy not to allow it.

Tomahawk

imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
I've carried concealed there several times.

There is no law against carrying at PSU only their policy not to allow it.
So then it's like Virginia, where you can get expelled by the school but it's not against the law?

Diesel23

imported post

Steve,

At Beaver Stadium do they have anything to detect the firearm? Also, are any searches done when you go to the game?

Steve in PA

imported post

No searches whenever I was there. I've been down to PSU many times as my kids go to school there. My daughter, who was on the PSU Blue Band graduated last year, and my son graduates this year.

Correct about the school. If you are a student, you could very well get expelled because it would be seen as a violation of the school policy.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
No searches whenever I was there. I've been down to PSU many times as my kids go to school there. My daughter, who was on the PSU Blue Band graduated last year, and my son graduates this year.

Correct about the school. If you are a student, you could very well get expelled because it would be seen as a violation of the school policy.
No, it would probably be a trespass, if they wanted to push the issue. But not unlawful, to my knowledge.

If you decide to carry anyway, make sure you have a good holster, getting up and down a lot may cause printing or some of the firearm to show.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

openryan wrote:
Steve in PA wrote:

No, it would probably be a trespass, if they wanted to push the issue.
How can it be "tresspass" when entering state property carrying a gun pursuant to a state license to carry a gun throughout the commonwealth - these types of haphazard comments about "tresspass" need to stop.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I was under the impression that if it was posted, and the owner or the venue or someone acting on their behalf were to catch wind of it, that you could be asked to leave or if the police wanted to, arrest you for a trespass.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

openryan wrote:
I was under the impression that if it was posted, and the owner or the venue or someone acting on their behalf were to catch wind of it, that you could be asked to leave or if the police wanted to, arrest you for a trespass.
In PA rules signs (including "No Guns" signs carry no legal weight.

You can not be tresspassing until and if you are asked/told in person and you refuse.
The next day the process starts over again :)

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Diesel23 wrote:
...So do you think I can CC while at the game? I just want to make sure I am following the laws.

In a nutshell:

1) There is no "law" preventing you from carrying at the games.
2) It is known that the property owner doe snot allow frearms.
BUT
3) The most they can do is ask you to leave IF you get caught. ;)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Diesel23 wrote:
Hi Mike,

So do you think I can CC while at the game? I just want to make sure I am following the laws.

Thanks
if you have a PA LTCF or fully accepted CHP, I do not see how you would be violating any PA criminal law at all.

Steve in PA

imported post

Its not trespassing.

Signs saying "no guns" mean nothing in PA. If you are found carrying, asked to leave then refuse.....then its trespassing.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
Its not trespassing.

Signs saying "no guns" mean nothing in PA. If you are found carrying, asked to leave then refuse.....then its trespassing.

Possibly yes, however, PSU is a state college and is bound by PA state law - PA state law provides LTCF the universal privilege to carry htruought the commonwealth. Whether PSU could evict upon threat of tresspassing a LTCF holder from an event open to the public is an open question.

Localities of course are explicitly preempted. State agencies are not explicitly preempted, but by implication, in my opinion, are preempted.

Steve in PA

imported post

Wrong. Its still considered private property. If found carrying you can be asked to leave. Refuse and you are trespassing.

There is no provision or exception for a "state school" whatever that is. Its the same thing as carrying in a mall. They cannot charge you with a crime for carrying in a mall, but you can be asked to leave. Refuse and you are trespassing.

PSU says no coolers allowed inside. There is no law against taking a cooler inside, but you won't be allowed in. Refuse to leave and you are a trespasser.

PSU says no knives either. There is no law against carrying a knife, but if security sees you with one you'll probably be asked to leave or give it up. Refuse to leave and you are now trespassing.

Diesel23

imported post

This maybe a newbie question but what is LTCF?

I have a VA CHP and since PA has a recpritory agreement with VA I should be fine?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Diesel23 wrote:
This maybe a newbie question but what is LCTF?

I have a VA CHP and since PA has a recpritory agreement with VA I should be fine?
In short LTCF = License To Carry Firearm.

Some states issue CCW's Carry Concealed Weapons permit, Indiana as well as many other have LCTF's