• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non resident Florida Concealed permit

JeffersonDavis

imported post

To get a Fla non-resident Concealed handgun permit the application asks for proof of training. Will a copy of my Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit work as the proof of training?

Also if I just use that permit can I get rid of my VA permit so it wont show up on my profile when my tags are run?

JeffersonDavis

imported post

I got the idea off this thread. A lot of Virginians are getting the FLA permit because it has more reciprocity then ours. I was asking anyone HERE who did it to give me some info...

SIGguy229

imported post

I believe VA residents still keep their VA permit, but have the FL permit to carry in the states VA does not have reciprocity with (yet). To clarify, the FL permit is in addition to, not in lieu of a VA permit.

nickerj1

imported post

I have a FL permit. Please be advised there is no distinction between a FL resident and a FL non-resident on the physical permit except for your home address.

I used the MSP (Too many 'M' states, right? Maryland) training "thingamajig" for my proof of competency.

What is the MSP thingamajig?

The MSP thingamajig is an official looking piece of paper from the MSP that says you know basic firearm laws in Maryland. It is required to purchase a handgun in Maryland from an FFL dealer. It looks official and is issued by the Maryland Police Training Commission. Did I mention it looks very official?

How do you get the MSP thingamajig?

There are certified instructors throughout Maryland (Generally every FFL dealer is one). You go in, tell them you need to get your certificate to allow you to purchase a handgun, and they'll set you up with a nice 30 minute video session. Watching this 30 minute video is all that is required to obtain the MSP thingamajig and teaches you vital information such as Maryland's "duty to retreat" (ie, run away as fast as you can, and never use your gun in self defense), Maryland's "castle doctrine" (ie, only use your gun when defending your home, any other location and you'll likely be charged) case law, and to always point your gun in a safe direction.

The FFL dealers should let you watch the video free of charge.

Goliath

imported post

JeffersonDavis wrote:
Also if I just use that permit can I get rid of my VA permit so it wont show up on my profile when my tags are run?

Your concealed status only comes up when your drivers permit is run, or your name and date of birth is run to check for wanted. It doesn't come up when the tags are run.

Goliath