• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC w/a BSIS-issued exposed firearm permit and guard card

Poncho

imported post

Can you legally carry your firearm in the open with the above mentioned permit when not actually on the job?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

No expert on the law here- but I think that the bureau would probably pull your guard card and permit if they were notified by law enforcement that you were carrying outside the scope of your duties.

I found the application for a firearm permit- here. It says:

5. Read carefully before signing below: I understand that my firearm permit will authorize me to carry an exposed loaded firearm of the caliber(s) listed on my permit only while on duty or while directly en route to or from my home, to my worksite or a firearm range (PC 12031 ( d ) (5)). I also understand that no private patrol operator licensee or registered security guard shall use or wear a firearm unless he or she is wearing a uniform. At all other times, the firearm shall be unloaded and kept in a locked container during the course of travel (PC 12026.2 (a) and (b)). If not wearing a uniform, the firearm must be unloaded and locked during the course of travel. Persons authorized to carry a concealed weapon are exempt from these requirements.

What may be important to note here is that there are six restrictions that affect exposed carry statewide in California. Technically, if you adhere to the limitations of those six restrictions, you can lawfully open carry a firearm without alicense or permit issued by any agency. Local ordinances may apply however.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree is absolutely correct here.

Also of note, your employer should get the permission of the property owner/manager where you will be working. When I first started carrying as a guard, we ran into some problems when the management at one of my assigned posts. Apparently, she had some unreasonable fear of guns because her ex-husband had held her at gunpoint once. (Ironically, I would have been her only protection if said ex-husband had shown up in the middle of the night.)

Anyhow, be aware that there may be a legal issue if the property owner is not aware you are carrying on their property. In most cases, your employer won't want to pay you to carry if she/he is not getting paid for such by the client. However, I know how ineptly some of the securtiy companies are run. CYA.