• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Skipper's

cut_cutta

imported post

Today I went to Skipper's in Mt. Vernon with my girlfriend and her friend. As soon as I entered the store (OCing, of course), I went straight to the bathroom. When I came out of the bathroom, my girlfriend handed me the keys to her car. I asked "What are these for?", and she said, "you have to go put your gun in the car". I went to the car without arguing, but Mt. Vernon is definitely the last place I want to be unarmed... Later my GF told me that while I was in the bathroom, one of the employees asked her "Is he with you? He cant have a gun in here".

Then my girlfriend's chowder tasted worse than canned clam chowder, so she got a refund. Definitely not a restaurant I will miss going to, ever.

I'm not sure if this is a corporate policy, or just an employees idea, but I'm still going to add it to the do not patronize database thread.

I am sure a lot of you guys will say "even if they allowed firearms, they were already on my do not patronize database", LOL, that place is gross, and massively overpriced.

joeroket

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
Today I went to Skipper's in Mt. Vernon with my girlfriend and her friend. As soon as I entered the store (OCing, of course), I went straight to the bathroom. When I came out of the bathroom, my girlfriend handed me the keys to her car. I asked "What are these for?", and she said, "you have to go put your gun in the car". I went to the car without arguing, but Mt. Vernon is definitely the last place I want to be unarmed... Later my GF told me that while I was in the bathroom, one of the employees asked her "Is he with you? He cant have a gun in here".

Then my girlfriend's chowder tasted worse than canned clam chowder, so she got a refund. Definitely not a restaurant I will miss going to, ever.

I'm not sure if this is a corporate policy, or just an employees idea, but I'm still going to add it to the do not patronize database thread.

I am sure a lot of you guys will say "even if they allowed firearms, they were already on my do not patronize database", LOL, that place is gross, and massively overpriced.
Your GF should have told the employee that they needed to tell you themselves.

cut_cutta

imported post

joeroket wrote
Yeah, or I could have started a scene, but really didn't think it was necessary. Arguing would do no good, and I respect the fact that it's private property. Obviously they would have just told me the same thing, "It's not allowed".

metricinch

imported post

Express your dislike of their policy with your dollar! Besides as you know I prefer Ivar's, better chowder, and the fish doesn't taste like it has been battered in cardboard!

joeroket

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
joeroket wrote
Yeah, or I could have started a scene, but really didn't think it was necessary. Arguing would do no good, and I respect the fact that it's private property. Obviously they would have just told me the same thing, "It's not allowed".
Well as you said it would not do any good by you starting a scene but at least they would have had to tell you yourself that they did not want you in thier store. Besides it is not trespassing or illegal in any manner unless you are notified personallyby someone with authority over the property.

just_a_car

imported post

As the DO NOT PATRONIZE thread states, you have to have seen a NO GUNS/WEAPONS sign or been shown written policy to go on the list. I have no problem with putting it on the Watch List, though. Next time you're near that one, feel free to ask to see their policy on that. Otherwise, it stays on just the Watch List.

amlevin

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
Then my girlfriend's chowder tasted worse than canned clam chowder
Actually, their chowder is canned chowder.

As for their policy on guns, it smells worse than a bad clam. I go to Ivar's regularly in Marysville, gun and all. The only thing they care about is whether I would like anything to drink with my order and will it be "for here or to go". THEY get my business, not the Skippers down the street.

joeroket

imported post

amlevin wrote:
cut_cutta wrote:
Then my girlfriend's chowder tasted worse than canned clam chowder
Actually, their chowder is canned chowder.

As for their policy on guns, it smells worse than a bad clam. I go to Ivar's regularly in Marysville, gun and all. The only thing they care about is whether I would like anything to drink with my order and will it be "for here or to go". THEY get my business, not the Skippers down the street.
The Skippers down the street has got to be the most disgusting restaurant in Marysville.

just_a_car

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
Sorry, didnt know the rules.
No worries, bro. I just want the list to reflect the business policies of the sites, rather than the opinions of the employees. But, those opinions put it on the watch list and that can be just as bad, since they're right there under the DO NOT PATRONIZE list. Good on ya for reporting them so we can avoid them (not like I didn't before though).;)

gregma

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
Later my GF told me that while I was in the bathroom, one of the employees asked her "Is he with you? He cant have a gun in here".
I'm sure you would have mentioned this if you knew, but I wanted to ask anyway. Did your GF ask why? Was it just because the employee wrongly throught that it was illegal to carry openly? Was it store policy? Was it because that particular employee didn't like guns?

I might suggest for next time a polite "May I ask why I can't?" It might open doors to educating someone who isn't familiar with the law, and create a positive encounter.

I know, I know. Hindsight is 20-20 :D

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
Today I went to Skipper's in Mt. Vernon with my girlfriend and her friend. As soon as I entered the store (OCing, of course), I went straight to the bathroom. When I came out of the bathroom, my girlfriend handed me the keys to her car. I asked "What are these for?", and she said, "you have to go put your gun in the car". I went to the car without arguing,
You did everybody a disservice by not asking to see a manager about this command of an employee, before explaining to the manager that you were going to leave and not return.

cut_cutta

imported post

Mike wrote:
You did everybody a disservice by not asking to see a manager about this command of an employee, before explaining to the manager that you were going to leave and not return.

Dude, I know you're a moderator here on this board, but your statement seems very disrespectful. I was with my girlfriend and her friend who had already ordered and payed by the time I got out of the bathroom.After my girlfriend told me to go put my gun away, I started to question the reasoning, but the look in her eyes told me to "just do it". If you have ever had a relationship with a woman, you will know what I'm talking about.
I didnt want to start any drama that could possibly affect or cause embarassment to my girlfriend and friend. We were headed down to meet all her old high school friends at a festival/carnival in Lake Stevens, and the last thing I needed to do was to start drama and mess up all her plans.

I did you, or the community no "disservice". All I did was do what my girlfriend asked me to do, and avoided causing a scene. I DID the community the service of coming onto this board and warning people that Skipper's might not be a gun-friendly store. How could you say I did the wrong thing? You weren't there, and you couldn't understand all the circumstances behind my actions. A manager wasn't even IN the store. When my girlfriend demanded a refund for her sub-par clam chowder, the girl at the counter had to call a manager and wait 10 minutes for her to arrive. That means if I remained in the store armed while arguing with an employee to speak with a manager, they probably would have called the police, which would have arrived far before the manager. Great plan there, Einstein. In your case, hind sight isn't 20/20 through your computer screen.

And quite frankly, I could really care less about their official policy, because I will never patronize that establishment ever again, based on the taste of their food alone, nothing to do with their firearms policy.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

An example like this is why I'm always careful before criticizing an action. I'm in a relationship too so I'm rather sensitive to this subject.

You did the right thing, cut_cutta. Besides, Ivars is better. Keep Clam! :)

just_a_car

imported post

Like I said, cut_cutta, good on ya for reporting them! Otherwise, they wouldn't even be on the Watch List I'm trying my best to keep updated.

When I wrote up the "guidelines" for those lists, I tried to be as specific as possible so that everybody knew what certain things meant and why they were on certain lists. I'm no moderator, and I'm not trying to be; I'm just a regular member trying to help out our local state-wide community forum with a list of places that we probably shouldn't be giving our money to... and ones that we also should.

And, though I was kinda vague about it, when I said "not like I didn't before though", I meant that I stopped going to Skipper's a long time ago, due to their crappy food. I love Ivar's and will always go there for top-quality seafood.

Thanks again for the report and if you have any others, good or bad, feel free to relate them to us here, I'm more than happy to read 'em and if they warrant going on one of the lists, I'll do my best to get them up there quickly.:)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

cut_cutta wrote:

Mike wrote:

Dude, I know you're a moderator here on this board, but your statement seems very disrespectful. I was with my girlfriend and her friend who had already ordered and payed by the time I got out of the bathroom.After my girlfriend told me to go put my gun away, I started to question the reasoning, but the look in her eyes told me to "just do it". If you have ever had a relationship with a woman, you will know what I'm talking about.
I didnt want to start any drama that could possibly affect or cause embarassment to my girlfriend and friend. We were headed down to meet all her old high school friends at a festival/carnival in Lake Stevens, and the last thing I needed to do was to start drama and mess up all her plans.

I did you, or the community no "disservice". All I did was do what my girlfriend asked me to do, and avoided causing a scene. I DID the community the service of coming onto this board and warning people that Skipper's might not be a gun-friendly store. How could you say I did the wrong thing?
Just calling it like I see 'em - this is a discussion thread - you (1) missed an opportunity to cause the manager to confirm or deny some random employee's remark; (2) show them that they will lose $ for their policy. Further, leaving loaded guns in cars when the general public can see you do ing so is not smart - and if you unloaded, that's unnecessary gun handling in a public place - not good.

So you already paid? Fine - ask for a refund before leaving; and if they refuse, refute the credit card charge after the fact - this is easy to do.

I recommend that everybody clarify with their dining partners what will go down if a restaurant harasses you over lawful gun carry.