• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to carry

xmirage2kx

imported post

I am looking for a good carry handgun. I am looking for something small, large capacity, durable and reliable, and meant to be shot. There are so many options out there and I would prefer the input of someone who isNot trying to make a sale. I am not too concerned with cost, although I do want to keep it under $1000. I am thinking about a Glock 23 (40cal, compact) as thisseems about what I am looking for, but I am not a huge fan of Glock due to the trigger. It will spend its life as a concealed carry gun always "cocked and locked" and will probably be abused as it will always be attached to various parts of my body (hip, ankle, shoulder, smart carry, etc). What are some other options out there that I can check out before I decide?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
I am thinking about a Glock 23 (40cal, compact) as thisseems about what I am looking for, but I am not a huge fan of Glock due to the trigger.
Great choice particularly considering your desire for utility.

I'm a 1911 guy, and build custom guns but I carry a G23 daily.
The trigger does take getting used to. Took me a couple years before I carried a Glock but it is simply the tool I most often pick now.

nickerj1

imported post

SiG p229. Used by federal agents everywhere.

My advice is to create a list of 4 or 5 potential guns you would want to buy. Go to a range, rent those guns, and shoot 100 rounds through each of them, alternating every clip or two and comparing. Figure out which one feels the best and go with it.

AbNo

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
SiG p229.  Used by federal agents everywhere.

My advice is to create a list of 4 or 5 potential guns you would want to buy.  Go to a range, rent those guns, and shoot 100 rounds through each of them, alternating every clip or two and comparing.  Figure out which one feels the best and go with it.

+1 on this.

Now, if you can go to a range with a buddy and try his.... Even better!

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Do as stated above, get your hands on a lot of guns, shoot them, and see what you can control and shoot the best.

It doesn't matter what you carry, if you miss with it, its useless.

I am only recommending this based on my experience, I urge you to try others as well. My SW9VE Sigma S&W is great, every time I go to aim I don't have to do much, it is accurate and easy to use.

para_org

imported post

The original question has no correct answer if we restrict the answer to specific equipment...so I suspect this thread will have a life of its' own where we all talk about what we do or die from a lack of viability.

What do I mean ?

Well when I carry an XD it is my gun of choice.

When I carry a 1911, IT is my gun of choice.

When I carry my Taurus 85 concealed, well THAT is my gun of choice.

When I use my (fill in the blank), it is my choice for the moment. And when I am OC, that is my mode of choice at that time.

**** Having said all of the above, I FULLY agree that what is MOST important is being able to make a fist size grouping at 25 yards in a paper target. <- You all are correct that that is *the* answer to the original question.

para_org

imported post

Sorry....this was a repeat of the previous message.... due to some server glitch I guess.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Its hard to explain what I don't like about the trigger, but it just doesn't feel right to me. It may just take getting used to.

I like the .40 because it is a good balance between mag size and stopping power and it is still cheap enough to shoot a ton of it while .45 starts getting expensive. 40 ammo only cost $1-2 more for a box than 9mm, while 45 is closer to 50% more.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Okay, not trying to pick a fight, but do you understand that 'stopping power' is based on a single shot? Also consider that there is an extremely high chance that you not going to shoot just once.

para_org

imported post

Interestingly...the XD in .45 acp holds one more shot in the same sized gun than the XD .40 s&w. i.e. The "compromise" spoken of above does not pertain to the more modern XD design !!

I load my own ammo, and the cost difference between .40 s&w and .45 acp is less than 0.5 cent per round. AND I find the recoil (curve) much more pleasant in .45 acp.

The .45 acp is also much easier to reload for, if you run a progressive press, but the reasons why are not readily apparent to most people/reloaders.

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Okay, not trying to pick a fight, but do you understand that 'stopping power' is based on a single shot? Also consider that there is an extremely high chance that you not going to shoot just once.
There is an even higher chance that you won't fire a full mag (be it a seven round mag or a sixteen rounder). Also, the much-debated stopping power is largely irrelevant. You use whichever defensive caliber you are most comfortable with, since that's the one you'll do best with. A well-placed shot from a .38 is far more useful than a miss with a .45. And, of course, getting shot isn't a pleasant situation, regardless of caliber.

That said, I go with a .45, and I tend to carry my XD45. As for cost, I find that .40 and .45 are only a dollar or two apart, generally. At least in my neck of the woods.

I don't feel outgunned with anything that's .380 or better. And I don't feel outgunned with a five shot revolver. If I've used more than 5 rounds in a defensive situation, something has gone horribly awry.

To each his own, of course. I know 9mm folks, .40 folks, .357 folks, and, of course, fellow .45 folks. It's not what you carry, but the fact that you carry that matters.
[/align]

AbNo

imported post

Drewesque wrote:
If I've used more than 5 rounds in a defensive situation, something has gone horribly arwy.

Or you're very lucky, at least for the moment.

Some people don't get TIME to let off 5 shots....

That being said, I'd like to have more than I "need", because, well, we know what people that talk about what others "need" are trying to do....

Oracle

imported post

Your initial choice of the GLock 23 is an excellent one. The model 27 is another good performer if you add the magazine extension so you little finger is kept on the grip and not under it. I have owned and carried many makes and models over the years and the 27 has been my favorite. It isas easy to shoot as the 23 and slightly more concealable. With 10 rounds in a very compact package, it is hard to beat.

xmirage2kx

imported post

To start thanks for all the suggestions. I know I need to go and try a bunch of different guns out before I buy one. And this list has helped me compile a few more to look at. There are so many different models and brands to choose from that making the best choice can be difficult.

Are there any models that you would suggest to stay away from? I don’t want to open a can of worms or start a my gun is better than your gun battle, rather just find out issues people have had so I know what to look out for.

AbNo

imported post

Well, I don't know what to AVOID, but here's a couple to try out....

Springfield XD - Compared to a Glock constantly, it was originally named the HS2000. Comes in four or five calibers, three barrel lengths, as well as three frame sizes. I carry the 4" .40 cal model, myself.

Taurus/Beretta 92FS (same gun, literally same plant, just different names and price tags) - Essentially an M-9, as used by our DoD forces. Nice trigger, "evil black gun" appearance in a handgun form.

Desert Eagle .50AE - I'm serious. Remember, I said "try out"... Learning how to handle one of these will help you use just about anything. Just don't break your thumb on the slide by leaving it (your thumb) up.

1911A1 - Any stock 1911A1 should be, from when I tried one, a tiny bit top heavy, with a trigger like butter. I'm looking at a Springfield Armory or Rock Island model myself...

Bersa Thunderer - Again, a variety of sizes and calibers. The Thunderer, and the Thunderer Ultra Compacts can be carried as pocket pistols.

Drewesque

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Drewesque wrote:
If I've used more than 5 rounds in a defensive situation, something has gone horribly arwy.

That being said, I'd like to have more than I "need", because, well, we know what people that talk about what others "need" are trying to do....

If you've had time to fire 5 times and you have not stopped the threat, chances are you're in over your head. Mind you, I'm not advocating a policy of having only five bullets on you, just saying that capacity is not a huge issue in handgun selection. Especially since you should have found cover by the time you need to reload.

daniel.call

imported post

Drewesque wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Drewesque wrote:

If you've had time to fire 5 times and you have not stopped the threat, chances are you're in over your head. Mind you, I'm not advocating a policy of having only five bullets on you, just saying that capacity is not a huge issue in handgun selection. Especially since you should have found cover by the time you need to reload.
If you even have to use one round in defensive situation something has gone terribly wrong. I agree that most of the time you will never need more than five shots. I also agree that most of the time I don't even need a gun. I like to have lots of bullets in my mag. I don't carry spares for the most part. I should but I don't. I'm not too terribly fast on my mag changes either. Need to practice more. Lets say after five shots I have found cover. What do I do now? I still need bullets to protect my position. Capacity is important to me. If I only plan for most situations I wouldn't even carry. If I do find myself in over my head I woulnd't mind surviving. Need to get around to carrying my spare mags.