• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 18 OC w/ parents concent

Revolverr00

imported post

I was told by a gun shop owner that someone under 18 could open carry, but they had to carry a letter signed by the parents that they are allowed to carry a firearm. Is this true?

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Revolverr00 wrote:
I was told by a gun shop owner that someone under 18 could open carry, but they had to carry a letter signed by the parents that they are allowed to carry a firearm. Is this true?
When an officer stops you,how are you proving said consent? I am NOT saying it is, or is not legal. I personally wouldn't. I turn 21 on August 14th, and I've been waiting this long to carry,so whats a couple more weeks? As many stories specifically in the "great" state of virginia of LEOs unlawfully harrassing,and arresting folks OCing, I
wouldn't do it.

EDIT: I realized how horrible of english I used,sorry folks. I think I fixed it.

Drake

imported post

Revolverr00 wrote:

Your parents ..... lol what a bunch of bullshit :banghead::banghead::banghead:

As you are probably aware, you need to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer. BUT, it is still perfectly legal to buy one from a private sale at 18 years old OR have your parents gift you one.

Secondly, it is perfectly legal to open carry at the age of 18. While this may get you some harassment, esspecially if you look real young, it is still within the law. Some may go as far as to say there is a "loop-hole" in this matter but there isn't.

Parents do not matter, you are an adult. They have absolutly no responsibility for you under the law and there is one thing all gun owners should know ....... GUN STORES TELL LIES all the time.

If you plan to open-carry, you have more guts then I do. I wish you best.

Drake

imported post

Revolverr00 wrote:

Your parents ..... lol what a bunch of bullshit :banghead::banghead::banghead:

As you are probably aware, you need to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer. BUT, it is still perfectly legal to buy one from a private sale at 18 years old OR have your parents gift you one.

Secondly, it is perfectly legal to open carry at the age of 18. While this may get you some harassment, esspecially if you look real young, it is still within the law. Some may go as far as to say there is a "loop-hole" in this matter but there isn't.

Parents do not matter, you are an adult. They have absolutly no responsibility for you under the law and there is one thing all gun owners should know ....... GUN STORES TELL LIES all the time.

If you plan to open-carry, you have more guts then I do. I wish you best.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Revolverr00 wrote:
What state?

OK, so, assuming VA, what research did you do in the VA code before posting this question?

Have you looked thru Title 18 for such a requirement?

Legba

imported post

Gun stores tell lies all the time? I daresay I'm a better resource for information that the police are, and anything untrue I might have ever said to anyone falls under the category of an honest misunderstanding and nota lie (e.g. esoterica about hunting game birds, say). Go to different stores if that's your experience.

As for anyone under 18 having or handling a handgun, this is directly forbidden by the Youth Handgun Safety Act (q.v.), with few exceptions.

-Legba "the Gun Guy" Jean Petro

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Revolverr00 wrote:

Well, Boys and Girls...

As for the State of Utah a Person CAN be as young as 14 WITH Parental/Legal Guardian "Consent". But can "only" carry Long Guns.

"Consent" is usually recommended by writing a Letter with with Parental/Legal Guardian Personal ID,Quotes of State Law and of course the "juvenile" should carry State Id.

(After 18 a Persona can Carry Handguns as a "Gift" to them since they cannot Purchase til 21).

Here are the Following Sections of Utah State Firearm Laws:

Utah Code Section 76-10-509

[size=-1]76-10-509. Possession of dangerous weapon by minor. (1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a dangerous weapon unless he: ...
le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C039.htm - 3k - Cached - Similar pages[/size]

[size=-1] 76-10-509. Possession of dangerous weapon by minor.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a dangerous weapon unless he:
(a) has the permission of his parent or guardian to have the weapon; or
(b) is accompanied by a parent or guardian while he has the weapon in his possession.
(2) Any minor under 14 years of age in possession of a dangerous weapon shall be accompanied by a responsible adult.
(3) Any person who violates this section is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense. [/size]

[size=-1][/size]

[size=-1]

Utah Code Section 76-10-509.4

[size=-1]76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors. (1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun. ...
le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C040.htm - 3k - Cached - Similar pages[/size]

[size=-1] 76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.
(2) Except as provided by federal law, a minor under 18 years of age may not possess the following:
(a) a sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or
(b) a fully automatic weapon.
(3) Any person who violates Subsection (1) is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.
(4) Any person who violates Subsection (2) is guilty of a third degree felony.[/size]

[size=-1]Utah Code Section 76-10-509.9

[size=-1]76-10-509.9. Sales of firearms to juveniles. (1) A person may not sell any firearm to a minor under 18 years of age unless the minor is accompanied by a ...
le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C044.htm - 2k - Cached - Similar pages[/size]

[size=-1] 76-10-509.9. Sales of firearms to juveniles.
(1) A person may not sell any firearm to a minor under 18 years of age unless the minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian.
(2) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a third degree felony. [/size]

[size=-1][/size]
[/size]
[/size]

Just my .45

Drake

imported post

Legba wrote:
Gun stores tell lies all the time? I daresay I'm a better resource for information that the police are, and anything untrue I might have ever said to anyone falls under the category of an honest misunderstanding and nota lie (e.g. esoterica about hunting game birds, say). Go to different stores if that's your experience.

As for anyone under 18 having or handling a handgun, this is directly forbidden by the Youth Handgun Safety Act (q.v.), with few exceptions.

-Legba "the Gun Guy" Jean Petro

What I ment is, if you go to a gun-store... there are always people in there (or working there) with some great stories. Like how AR-15s will be banned next week and you better pick one up now =p Or some conspiracy theory about how the US government is going to pass a handgun ban like the UK.... or how the UN is going to force the USA to remove the 2nd amendment.

Legba

imported post

I've found the customers to be the conspiracy minded ones - I'm usuallyin the position of having to reassure them that the assault weapons ban isn't even scheduled for a vote, so there's no urgency about stockpiling stuff. Maybe that's an admission against interest, but I find it better policy than bullshitting people. I know what you mean though: I've met "personal friends" of the likes of Carlos Hathcock ("Marine Sniper"), who didn't know that he died years ago... "law enforcement" who incorrectly identified the precinct of downtown Cincinnati... "ex military" who were denied firearms purchases because of the "black ops" stuff they did (and not because they were whack jobs), etc.

There's no end of people talking nonsense, to be sure. I'm reminded of the theory about a million monkeys eventually randomly typing out the works of Shakespeare being soundly disproved by the Internet.

-ljp

kurtmax_0

imported post

Gun stores do have some funny things to say. One guy told me that Kel-Tecs are hard to find because "they are building space shuttle stuff now" or something like that.

1. What does that have to do with guns?
2. I haven't had a hard time finding Kel-Tecs...
3. Does that mean it will blow up in my hand? I don't have much faith in space shuttles.

VAopencarry

imported post

Firearm laws vary from state to state. You might get an answer if you provide the information needed to answer your question.