• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC from WA to CA via OR

StanSoph

imported post

Newb from WA. Glad to be a part of the group and will help out anyway I can.

I travel for business by car from Seattle to Sacremento roughly every 2 weeks. I am a WA CHL holder so the WA portion of the trip is fine; it is the OR and CA part that I am not sure of. I think I can OC in the car in OR as long as it is in plain view? The CA leg is a lost cause; I put a lock on the gun and stash it seperate from the ammo.

Can someone help out with OR or CA? The figgin gun does me no good in CA until I get to the hotel. I wish I travelled to Montana or Idaho.

John

Cue-Ball

imported post

IANAL, and I'm only repeating what I've gathered from this very site. You should check state and local laws first. You're responsible for your own actions. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

According to the Oregon section of the opencarry map, you can openly carry in a car, but only in those areas which don't require a permit.
Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence are such places. To carry openly in any of those cities, or to carry a loaded handgun in a car through any of those cities, you would need a license. Otherwise, as long as you are openly carrying, it looks like you're in the clear.

Hopefully someone who actually lives in Oregon can tell you more. You might try posting this same question in the Oregon specific forum.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

StanSoph wrote:
Can someone help out with OR or CA? The figgin gun does me no good in CA until I get to the hotel. I wish I travelled to Montana or Idaho.

John

General California Open Carry Restrictions

Carry of an unloaded and exposed handgun is lawful without a license or permit anywhere except:

Where someone would reasonably know they were within 1000 feet of a school. (626.9)

In any State or local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the public. (171b)

A State Park (CCR Title 14, Div.3, chap. 1, s 4313 (a)) or National Park (36 C.F.R. 2.4(a))

A Post Office (39 CFR 232.1)

Carry of a loaded and exposed handgun is lawful without a license or permit anywhere except:

In any public place or public street in an incorporated city (ie: inside city limits) or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory. (PC12031)

Where someone would reasonably know they were within 1000 feet of a school. (626.9)

In any State or local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the public. (171b)

A State Park (CCR Title 14, Div.3, chap. 1, s 4313 (a)) or National Park (36 C.F.R. 2.4(a))

A Post Office (39 CFR 232.1)

On a public road or highway. (374c, 12031 qualifies as 'prohibited area')

Any other area where local ordinance prohibits discharge of firearms.

It is a misdemeanor (not lawful) to carry concealed- a firearm carried openly in a belt holster is not considered concealed (12025 (f)).

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

StanSoph wrote:
Newb from WA. Glad to be a part of the group and will help out anyway I can.

I travel for business by car from Seattle to Sacremento roughly every 2 weeks. I am a WA CHL holder so the WA portion of the trip is fine; it is the OR and CA part that I am not sure of. I think I can OC in the car in OR as long as it is in plain view? The CA leg is a lost cause; I put a lock on the gun and stash it seperate from the ammo.

John
Please use the database - each state is clickable.