Thread: Does Wisconsin allow alderman to carry

Post imported post

I came across an oldcity of Racine Wisconsin alderman badge offered for sale. This made me wonder is there an obscure law that allows Wisconsin alderman to carry just like Illinois allows alderman who have gone thru a training course to do so, and some Chicago alderman do?

Post imported post

We wore badges when I was a kid and on the school safety patrol! I believe that in Wisconsin aldermen (and women) have the same gun rights as anyone else. Nothing more, nothing less.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

I hate to open this can of worms, but....!:shock:

Wisconsin 941.23 states that only peace officers can carry concealed weapons. Notice it says "Peace Officers" and not "Police officers" or "Law Enforcement Officers".

The reason that is important is because Wisconsin statute 939.22(22) defines peace officer as any person vested by law with a duty to maintain public order OR make arrests for crime.

In other words cops aren't the only "peace officers" in this state. But who are non-police people who are "vested by law to maintain public order" yet doesn't make arrests?

That may depend on the legal definition of certain government positions. If a citys charter were to include that part of an Aldermans duties were to maintain public order, would that make him a peace officer under the law?

Now what happens if a municipality hires security guards and tells them their duty is to maintain order at a parade. Does than make them a Peace Officer? Can they legal conceal a weapon?

Wisconsin law is screwy!!

State Researcher

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    I hate to open this can of worms, but....!:shock:

Wisconsin 941.23 states that only peace officers can carry concealed weapons. Notice it says "Peace Officers" and not "Police officers" or "Law Enforcement Officers".

The reason that is important is because Wisconsin statute 939.22(22) defines peace officer as any person vested by law with a duty to maintain public order OR make arrests for crime.

In other words cops aren't the only "peace officers" in this state. But who are non-police people who are "vested by law to maintain public order" yet doesn't make arrests?

That may depend on the legal definition of certain government positions. If a citys charter were to include that part of an Aldermans duties were to maintain public order, would that make him a peace officer under the law?

Now what happens if a municipality hires security guards and tells them their duty is to maintain order at a parade. Does than make them a Peace Officer? Can they legal conceal a weapon?

Wisconsin law is screwy!!
    I am assuming they would have to be sworn into a position to have to be vested by law...

If they hired outside help for a parade or any other sort of event where extra security is needed, it would be on an as needed basis only, therefore these people are not vested by law, their only connection would be them working for the city.

Post imported post

openryan wrote:

I am assuming they would have to be sworn into a position to have to be vested by law...
    Alright, good point, IF it's correct. I cannot find anywhere in my statutes book that indicates one must be sworn into the position in order to be vested. Not saying it's incorrect, just saying I can't find it.

Which brings us back to the Alderman issue. Alderman are sworn into the position. Some city charters still have wording that may in fact define them as peace officers.

Post imported post

In Illinois some animal control officers (dog catchers) are allowed to carry, is it the same in Wisconsin? Legislators trust dog catchers in Illinois more than judges. A concealed carry bill that would have allowed judges to carry got nowhere last year.

Post imported post

junglebob wrote:
    In Illinois some animal control officers (dog catchers) are allowed to carry, is it the same in Wisconsin? Legislators trust dog catchers in Illinois more than judges. A concealed carry bill that would have allowed judges to carry got nowhere last year.
    All of the animal control officers I know of are sworn police officers with the local department. "Animal control" just happens to be one of the divisions of that department.
    So yes, all that I know of do carry.

Post imported post

Animal control officers aren't always allowed to carry in Illinois, depends on the city or county,and I don't think they are normally part of the police department.

In addition to alderman, village trustees are also allowed to carry if they have gone through a state approved firearms course.