• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunning for Kennesaw

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Mike,

I am sorry if it seems like this Georgia page is turning into the GCO page,and I thought long and hard before adding this post,but I really thought opencarry.org readers would be interested in GCO's latest effort.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2007/07/25/gco-urges-kennesaw-to-repeal-parks-carry-ban/

GCO is urging Kennesaw (known as Gun City, USA, to the media) to repeal its preempted ordinance banning firearms.

ED

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Exceprt from the Marietta Daily Journal today:

:D
GeorgiaCarry.org President Ed Stone said he is pleased to see Kennesaw take steps to change its ordinance, but said the organization would pursue legal action if the city failed to act.

"We will of course follow up to see if they follow through with the attorney's recommendation," he said. "We will be present at City Council meetings."

GeorgiaCarry.org is presently suing Coweta County over a similar ordinance. The suit is pending appeal in the Georgia Court of Appeals.

Stone said the organization has contacted several other Georgia cities and counties about changes to similar firearms ordinances. He said Gwinnett, Forsyth, and Lee counties have each repealed their ordinances.

"We're not ashamed of anything we're doing," he said. "We think it's important for people to protect themselves while visiting state and local parks. Georgia firearms license holders are notoriously safe."

Stone said GeorgiaCarry.org pursues changing city and county ordinances as organization members bring issues to their attention.

"Every one we pursue is for the benefit of a member who was affected by this," he said.
The reporter really, really wanted to know how this came to GCO's attention.

I told her about the murder of my friend's daughter and toddler granddaughter, Whitney and Jordan Land, who were kidnapped from a county park and left burning in their car in another county park, but that did not make it into the story.

aadvark

imported post

I think that has already happened, but even if there was such an Ordinance it is preempted under Georgia Codes 16-11-127(e) and16-11-173(b)(1).