• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This security guard failed.

nh92d

imported post

at one point the BG aimed his gun downward for approx 20-30 seconds and i thought maybe the guard could of drawn and fired but then again...he had the upper hand

:?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm thinking that security guard's job was to be there as a deterent, period. She appeared to be standing around in condition white and was nonchalant when the robbery occured.

Edit: Spelling

Joe Sixpack

imported post

although i agree she was'nt real alert the guy already had the gun in his hand before he entred and she could not see outside.. it's really easy to sit at home and say well she should have seen it coming but if i walk up on you (remember she only had about 8 feet to the door) and have the gun already in hand you think you could draw on me and win?

i doubt it.

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

Joe Sixpack wrote:
although i agree she was'nt real alert the guy already had the gun in his hand before he entred and she could not see outside.. it's really easy to sit at home and say well she should have seen it coming but if i walk up on you (remember she only had about 8 feet to the door) and have the gun already in hand you think you could draw on me and win?

i doubt it.
I agree she didn't have much time, but the key thing to me is she didn't even seem to be trying to be profesional. She appears to be the kind of security gaurd that is there simply for looks as opposed to functionality. I stop at a QT almost everynight on my way home and they have an oustanding officer there who does things properly, by walking around and never standing in the same spot. HE also never gets caught up in conversations with the customers allowing himself to be sidetracked. had she not been standing right at the counter acting like it was just another day at work, perhaps she could have been more effective....???

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Joe Sixpack wrote:

i doubt it.
The camera could see outside and I think it likely that she could have seen out through the window. I"m not saying that she could have drawn down on the guy once he pointed the gun, or that she should have tried. However, I also don't find it acceptable, if I were the business owner, that she was leaning against a wall in condition white when it went down. Obviously the owner was wasting money employing her. Not very professional as mmdk said.

Joe Sixpack

imported post

ok ya i can agree with that.. she should have been on the oposite side of the door imo.. it's to easy to have both of them at gun point standing next to each other, so i agree she did'nt seem very alert.. she might have been able to see outside but she could not have seen a gun in his hand till he was already inside and pointing it at her.

with the frequency that corner stores and gas stations get robbed i can't say i'd wanna be a employee or a guard at one.

if im gonna guard something and put my life on the line it better be defending more then some cig's and candy bars.

ghostrider

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I worked a case like this once, and it turned out the guard was in on the robbery. I wonder if ...
My first thought was that the guard was in on it also. Espicially when the robber just let her pick up the gun after she placed it on the floor.

If the guards job was to stand security, then she should have/could have done better. She should have been more alert. The first thing that caught my eye was a white-hooded figure moving toward the door outside the window. Just recently had a bank robery where the perps came in wearing hoods, so it got my attention in the video. If she had been more attentive, and more professional she would have known something was amiss, unless she thought the guy with the cane was a threat.

If she was just there as a deterent, and not supposed to get involved, then she shouldn't have had a gun.

OneShot

imported post

No way did she have a chance to act. The guy was drawn as he walked in. It takes a second to realize what is going on in any situation. By that time, he had closed to what looked to me to be 5 ft. No security guard is going to be on high alert 100% of the time. My question is, where did she go when she went off camera, after being allowed to pick up her gun? Wierd, but when your in a situation like that, things don't always work in a rational way.