Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Bay imposing more restrictions on gun stuff

Post imported post

Whereas they already don't permit gun transactions on-line, they are now banning just about anything pertaining to the firing of a weapon (spent brass, triggers, etc), because they learned that there may have been some link between E-Bay and the Virginia Tech shootings (???). News to me, and I suspect it's bunk, given that they had already banned such sinister weapons as paintball and airsoft "guns." The "Trust and Safety Policy Team" likewise sounds Orwellian. Anyway, here's the "new and improved" policy:

Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.
    After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.
    This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,
    Matt Halprin
    Vice President, Trust & Safety

Post imported post

Ebay is good for cell phones maybe, but I don't think I would buy guns at Ebay even if it was allowed. Still the policy pisses me off, but unfortunately this seems to be quite the trendy thing for corporate America to do.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

And for me, the trendy thing for patriotic Americans to do is buy your guns from your neighborhood kitchen table FFL or mom and pop gun shop. Wal Mart will not stand up for your RKABA.

Post imported post

Word on the street is Cho bought many of his spare mags on Ebay.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Word on the street is Cho bought many of his spare mags on Ebay.
    The known facts of the case support that view.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    And for me, the trendy thing for patriotic Americans to do is buy your guns from your neighborhood kitchen table FFL or mom and pop gun shop. Wal Mart will not stand up for your RKABA.
    I wasn't aware there were any kitchen table FFLs left.

It's an interesting statement you make about Wal-Mart, though. Would they?

Should they?

ShouldK-mart stand up for RKBA? Sears? Target? ebay?

Post imported post

The heck with fleabay anyway. I've been avoiding the use of their Paypal service whenever possible as well. Try GearPay - they are actively 2A friendly.

Post imported post

Meh... Between the Nigerian scammers and the last minute bidders, I don't really see any need to use eBay again.

Gunbroker.com for gun stuff, newegg.com for electronics and craigslist.com for the little odds and ends stuff
    "...our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties."
    -Sarah Hoyt

"America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    -Claire Wolfe

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.
    Ahh, I don't blame 'em. It's just another convenience to be written off because oflawyerly vigorandcorporate pragmatism. Gunbroker will pick up the slack.

I'll still buy and sell on eBay the same as before. I've got my eye on some cocobolo 1911 grips there and I just might have to do a a last minute bid on them if the price is right.

But in total solidarity, I support boycotting eBay.

Post imported post

Thier restricted policies just leave room for a competitor to take over those sales.

If you use EBAY logic, all electronic components, watches, clocks, timers, batteries, cellphones and wire should be a TOS violation. After all, they are used to trigger bombs. I am confidant though that the unibomber did not use ebay, but I don't know about anybody else.

Post imported post

Ebay is so full of crooks to start with anything I buy from there I write off thepayment and if I get the product I consider it a bonus.

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    Ebay is so full of crooks to start with anything I buy from there I write off thepayment and if I get the product I consider it a bonus.
    Wow.

I can't figure out if you're a pessimist or an optimist...

:P

Post imported post

Just a masochist.

-ljp

State Researcher

Post imported post

While we are at it, lets ban everything pertaining to automobiles, and everything that is vital to an automobile.

Some of the people that killed others in car accidents, may have bought some of their car parts on ebay.

Please tell me I am not the only one who sees this link and believe the ebay should no longer sell anything but christian rock tapes

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    While we are at it, lets ban everything pertaining to automobiles, and everything that is vital to an automobile.

Some of the people that killed others in car accidents, may have bought some of their car parts on ebay.

Please tell me I am not the only one who sees this link and believe the ebay should no longer sell anything but christian rock tapes
    But christian rock tapes will make you go deaf if you listen to them too loud, so I think those should be banned as well.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Damn, it is always something isn't it!?!

Post imported post

http://www.gunbroker.com/

:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

I used www.gunsamerica.com a few years ago. Worked out fine for me, although it's infested with dealers, now, who seem to outnumber the private sellers.

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    Whereas they already don't permit gun transactions on-line, they are now banning just about anything pertaining to the firing of a weapon (spent brass, triggers, etc), because they learned that there may have been some link between E-Bay and the Virginia Tech shootings (???). News to me, and I suspect it's bunk, given that they had already banned such sinister weapons as paintball and airsoft "guns." The "Trust and Safety Policy Team" likewise sounds Orwellian. Anyway, here's the "new and improved" policy:

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.
    After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.
    This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,
    Matt Halprin
    Vice President, Trust & Safety
    Holsters should be fine I think, right ???

State Researcher

Post imported post

Heh -- hopefully.

With ebays reasoning, only OWB holsters will be okay, as IWB can conceal a weapon!

Post imported post

openryan wrote:

I'm a little confused here anddon't know exactly what link you are talking about. Why should ebay only sell christian rock tapes?

Post imported post

Because rock & roll is a tool of Satan, ergo evil, like spent brass...

-ljp

Post imported post

ROTFLMAO......You Guys are just too much...

Post imported post

This is the email thread I had with ebay:

I understand your statements. You still sell cars and knives. Interesting since they kill several time the number of people than do guns. Since kitchen knives are one of the most common weapons used in assaults and murders (more than guns) I expect to see them banned as well. If not then this has nothing to do with "safety" but rather political.

Please let me know when kitchen knives will be banned so that I can inform others that eBay is not just anti-gun but also actually interested in "safety".

Thanks you for responding,
    Ken Kirkham

On 8/6/07, Office of the President <csme@ebay.com> wrote:
    Hello Ken Kirkham,

Thank you for your recent email to Matt Halprin in regard to changes to our Firearms, Weapons and Knives policy. He has asked that I review your email and respond on his behalf. Let me start by saying that I understand that this is a very frustrating situation. Before choosing to discontinue use of your eBay account I hope that you would allow me the opportunity to explain why we have chosen to amend our policy.
    s
    At eBay we take the safety of our community and our marketplace very seriously. We have a Trust and Safety team which consists of more than 2,000 experts in online security and safety who are located around the globe. This team is dedicated to ensuring that our marketplace is a safe and trusted place for buyers and sellers to engage in trade.

We value an open and transparent marketplace; if items are legal to buy and sell in an unrestricted manner we allow them on our site. However, there are some items that while legal, may not be safe for our marketplace. In these instances, our applicable policies go beyond the law to ensure that our marketplace is safe.

Currently we do not allow actual firearms on the site. After careful consideration our executives and our Trust and Safety team determined that any item required to fire a gun has no place on eBay. All of our policies are under constant review. As the Internet and the way our communities use the Internet evolves, our policies and our marketplace must evolve with it. We determined that this policy change was in the best interest of promoting a safe marketplace for all members.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    Nathan Gilbert
    Office of the President

Original Message Follows:
    -------------------------

Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 10:00 AM
    To: Halprin, Matt
    Subject: ebay anti-firearms policy

I have been using ebay since 1998 and will miss the great variety of items. I cannot however continue to use ebay due to the new firearms policy. As anyone who has any understanding of criminal activity knows, your policy does nothing to stop any crime. It is sad that your organization has chosen to stop honest people from using your site for legal business that is not regulated in any way similar to your restriction.

Although there are firearms sites we have been ok with your restriction of firearms. The problem is that you are now restricting things like hunting vest, and any item remotely related to guns.

I know losing a single customer is nothing to you but to me it is very important so I will be removing you ebay account and my paypal account. I will really miss the convenience but I can simply no longer support your service.

Sincerely,

Ken Kirkham

Post imported post

One more thing, BidPay.com will support the sale of firearms and firearm accessories. They responded that there was no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast