• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

E-Bay imposing more restrictions on gun stuff

Legba

imported post

Whereas they already don't permit gun transactions on-line, they are now banning just about anything pertaining to the firing of a weapon (spent brass, triggers, etc), because they learned that there may have been some link between E-Bay and the Virginia Tech shootings (???). News to me, and I suspect it's bunk, given that they had already banned such sinister weapons as paintball and airsoft "guns." The "Trust and Safety Policy Team" likewise sounds Orwellian. Anyway, here's the "new and improved" policy:

Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.
After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.
This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,
Matt Halprin
Vice President, Trust & Safety

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Ebay is good for cell phones maybe, but I don't think I would buy guns at Ebay even if it was allowed. Still the policy pisses me off, but unfortunately this seems to be quite the trendy thing for corporate America to do.

IanB

imported post

Word on the street is Cho bought many of his spare mags on Ebay.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
And for me, the trendy thing for patriotic Americans to do is buy your guns from your neighborhood kitchen table FFL or mom and pop gun shop. Wal Mart will not stand up for your RKABA.

I wasn't aware there were any kitchen table FFLs left.

It's an interesting statement you make about Wal-Mart, though. Would they?

Should they?

ShouldK-mart stand up for RKBA? Sears? Target? ebay?

zoom6zoom

imported post

The heck with fleabay anyway. I've been avoiding the use of their Paypal service whenever possible as well. Try GearPay - they are actively 2A friendly.

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

Meh... Between the Nigerian scammers and the last minute bidders, I don't really see any need to use eBay again.

Gunbroker.com for gun stuff, newegg.com for electronics and craigslist.com for the little odds and ends stuff :cool:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.

Ahh, I don't blame 'em. It's just another convenience to be written off because oflawyerly vigorandcorporate pragmatism. Gunbroker will pick up the slack.

I'll still buy and sell on eBay the same as before. I've got my eye on some cocobolo 1911 grips there and I just might have to do a a last minute bid on them if the price is right.

But in total solidarity, I support boycotting eBay.

noebay.gif
:monkey
noebay.gif
noebay.gif
noebay.gif
noebay.gif

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Thier restricted policies just leave room for a competitor to take over those sales.

If you use EBAY logic, all electronic components, watches, clocks, timers, batteries, cellphones and wire should be a TOS violation. After all, they are used to trigger bombs. I am confidant though that the unibomber did not use ebay, but I don't know about anybody else.

PT111

imported post

Ebay is so full of crooks to start with anything I buy from there I write off thepayment and if I get the product I consider it a bonus.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Ebay is so full of crooks to start with anything I buy from there I write off thepayment and if I get the product I consider it a bonus.

Wow.

I can't figure out if you're a pessimist or an optimist...

:p

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

While we are at it, lets ban everything pertaining to automobiles, and everything that is vital to an automobile.

Some of the people that killed others in car accidents, may have bought some of their car parts on ebay.

Please tell me I am not the only one who sees this link and believe the ebay should no longer sell anything but christian rock tapes :)

dng

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
While we are at it, lets ban everything pertaining to automobiles, and everything that is vital to an automobile.

Some of the people that killed others in car accidents, may have bought some of their car parts on ebay.

Please tell me I am not the only one who sees this link and believe the ebay should no longer sell anything but christian rock tapes :)
But christian rock tapes will make you go deaf if you listen to them too loud, so I think those should be banned as well.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Legba wrote:
Whereas they already don't permit gun transactions on-line, they are now banning just about anything pertaining to the firing of a weapon (spent brass, triggers, etc), because they learned that there may have been some link between E-Bay and the Virginia Tech shootings (???). News to me, and I suspect it's bunk, given that they had already banned such sinister weapons as paintball and airsoft "guns." The "Trust and Safety Policy Team" likewise sounds Orwellian. Anyway, here's the "new and improved" policy:

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.
After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.
This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,
Matt Halprin
Vice President, Trust & Safety
Holsters should be fine I think, right ???

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Heh -- hopefully.

With ebays reasoning, only OWB holsters will be okay, as IWB can conceal a weapon!