• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Ala. Code 1975, §13A-11-52, forbid open carry?

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Avtomat wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:

This statute seems to clearly provide that one cannot “carry a pistol” on “premises not his own.” There is an exception for officers, etc., which does not apply to the average open carrier, and the other exception would be under “this article” (article 3 of chapter 11). Section 13A-11-73 is under article 3, and would be an exception to the general prohibition on carrying a pistol on the premises of another. E.T. v. State, 682 So. 2d at 509-10, states: “To a limited extent, §13A-11-73 does provide an exception to the general prohibition set out in § 13A-11-52; however, this exception is limited to those cases in which a person carries a licensed pistol on the property of others.” (Emphasis added.)
You need a Pistol License to carry in a vehicle (to get very far from home)....if you have a PL, would that not allow OC on "property of another" since OC is not prohibited by sec 73?

This is less clear. However, § 13A-11-73 states: "No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license" This Code section only applies to carrying a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on the person. It does not address unconcealed carry. 13A-11-52 does apply to all possession, which includes open carry.
Correct...it DOES NOT PROHIBIT OC
Please download and READ the cases that are cited in the posted "document"....maybe they will explain how sec 52 & 73 interact better than I can......52 "must be consistent" with 73

I don't see anything in any other Code section under article 3 allowing carrying a handgun.
One thing to remember.....laws are written to PROHIBIT...not to allow.....therefor, if there is no law prohibiting it, it is not illegal.

well, I meant that in terms of "except as otherwise provided in this article." 13A-11-52 DOES prohibit all possession of pistols on the property of others. The only exception to this blanket prohibition is for officers etc and anything else in article 3, and the only thing I see in article 3 that could be an exception is concealed carry under 73
Section 73 prohibits concealed carry WITHOUT a pistol license......there is NO MANDATE that one MUST conceal, it mearly allows it....there is also NO PROHIBITION of open carry in 73

It would appear that one could not carry a handgun on the property of others except as provided by §13A-11-73, which allows one to carry a handgun “concealed on or about his person....(and DOES NOT prohibit open carry)” Thus, it would seem that open carry could be legal in “public,” but not on private property, which is just about everywhere....
It is a "Pistol License"....it allows concealed carry....nowhere in sec 73 does it mandate concealed carry, nor does it prohibit open carry.

I agree that -73 does not prohibit open carry, but -52 seems to, without a doubt, prohibit all possession of a pistol on the property of others (except for officers etc and anything else in Article 3)
Again...please see the cases cited in the "document".....in a nutshell, it is said that if you have a pistol license, sec 52 doesn't apply to you.....remember "EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED"?......think about it this way: you have a pistol license and carry a pistol in your car....now, when you stop to get gas, are you on "the property of another"?...what about the parking lot at the grocery store?...the home center?.....of course you ARE on "the property of another".....are you breaking the law under section 52?.....NO, because the state has given you permission under sec 73 to carry a pistol anywhere and anytime within the state that is not directly forbidden by The Code of Alabama.
Avtomat...please don't take anything I say as "gospel".....these are just my opinions based on the plain language of the Code of Alabama, the Courts and the AG opinions.......YMMV
*none of the above should be considered legal advice

Jared

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Jared wrote:
If people want to open carry in Alabama, take cue from Pacific Northwest Open Carry, until then, have fun concealing in 100 degree weather with 100 percent humidity.

Do you have any information on "Pacific Northwest Open Carry"? I can't find much I can access here at work.

Sure, go to groups.yahoo.com and type in the name Pacific Northwest Open Carry. The founder is Lonnie Wilson, he frequents this site.

He has gotten numerous cities in Oregon and Washington to go from the police drawing down on you for open carry to recognizing your legal right to open carry (some towns in Oregon you must have a CHL to open carry as per ORS 166.173)

apjonas

imported post

A newer case or statute, even if it does not expressly overturn a prior one, will trump the older one in case of conflict. This is a legal axiom. The fact that Reid was quoted doesn't mean squat by itself. What matters is what was said about Reid. If you cannot pick out the change that occurred in Isaiah, then I cannot help you. It is blatantly obvious. I can only assume some people just don't want to know. If you understand what is said in Isaiah , apply it to later statutes and understand statutory construction you will see that the possession of a license permits the holder to do two things that are otherwise illegal. (1) Carry a pistol in a vehicle (normally illegal even if unconcealed) and (2) Carry a concealed pistol. This section does not address the prohibition about carrying on the property of another. Again, the rules of statutory construction demand that force be given to different code sections if at all possible. It is possible.

If you do not have a license you may carry openly EXCEPT on the property on another or in a vehicle. If you have a license you may carry openly or concealed (even in a vehicle) EXCEPT on the property of another. Property of another does NOT include the public street, parks, government buildings (although there may be another law that prohibits carry - I just don't know). This distinction is clearly made in Isaiah. I understand that you wish it were otherwise. As I said initially, unless and until the Alabama Supreme Court rules one way or the other it is impossible to say with absolute certainty but I think my analysis is sound. In the mean time we are stuck with various appeals decisions and the personal interpretation of the local LEO.

Perhaps this analogy will be helpful.

1. It is illegal to drive on the sidewalk.

(It is illegal to carry a pistol on the property of another)

2. A HAZMAT endorsement permits you to haul hazardous materials.

(A pistol license permits you to carry in a vehicle or concealed)

3. Therefore a HAZMAT endorsement permits you to drive on the sidewalk.

(Therefore a pistol license permits you to carry on the property of another)

The conclusion is obviously false.

Comp-tech wrote:
apjonas wrote:
Ok, here is a 1911 case - 71 years better than Reid. Now it's your turn to find a newer case.
"Younger" doesn't make it better.....Isaiah only proves my point that the opinion in Reid has not been challenged...hell, they even quote Reid.
I'm not in any sort of contest with you or anyone else....Isaiah was the "newest" case that I've seen as well and BOTH go to prove that OC was legal at that time.....since neither has been overturned, does that not tell you something?

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

apjonas .......

I am done replying to any more of your blah, blah this and blah, blah that BS diatribes on what this should mean or that should mean by relation to HazMat or other such references.....I will continue to read what the courts have decided and what the laws in code prohibit....and DO NOT PROHIBIT
How can you be so adament that a PL DOES NOT allow carry on "property of another" when the state has given permission to carry concealed?......am I to leave my pistol on the edge of the street when I stop to buy gas?....to grocery shop? (both "property of another")......if I am licensed to carry, I have the right to carry anywhere that is not prohibited by code or "...personally communicated to me by the owner..." ....simple as that.
From the code....
A person who, regardless of his intent, enters or remains in or upon premises which are at the time open to the public does so with license and privilege unless he defies a lawful order not to enter or remain, personally communicated to him by the owner of such premises or other authorized person

Untill you can show something IN CODE or in a RELEVANT COURT DECISION, you are no more than wasting my, and other members time.....

kurtmax_0

imported post

Actually. From my understanding of the code, as interpreted by court decisions and such, is that is is currently illegal to carry on another's private property even if you have a pistol permit.

The only reason this has probably never really gone to court is:

1. People with pistol permits generally carry concealed, so nobody knows when they are 'breaking the law' by carrying onto private property not under their control.

2. It isn't really illegal to carry onto private property.

My guess is that it's the first one, and most of the time it's a "don't ask don't tell" type of thing.

Ridiculous, I know.

Avtomat

imported post

I guess I need to address your arguments point-by-point. Please note I am not trying to be a smart aleck–I don’t know what kind of dispute you are in with that other guy.

WTF...here we go with the friggin Latin again....using legal terms doesn't impress any greater understanding of the issue upon you....understanding the plain written word is sufficient.

Although it has a Latin name, obiter dictum (“obiter dicta” when plural, sometimes just “dicta”) is a real legal doctrine frequently used by appellate courts. The doctrine holds that when a Court states things not necessary to the decision, those statements generally are not considered law.

The statement in Reid regarding whether open carry can be barred had nothing to do with the case; therefore, subsequent courts generally will not consider it law.

it was part of what led them to the decision that they made.......how can it not have ANY "legal consequence"?

No, it was not part of what led them to the decision they made; in fact, whether open carry could be barred had nothing to do with it because the issue was whether concealed carry could be barred.

It could be interpreted that way but, SCOTUS has ruled in several cases that a right cannot be abrogated away nor can it be licensed or taxed etc. ....now, if OC was "forbidden"....there could be NO LAWS CONTROLLING CONCEALED CARRY as they would be unconstitutional........one way or the other, OC or CC, must remain UNINHIBITED to remain constitutional.

Well, yes, rights cannot be “abrogated away,” but they certainly can be “licensed or taxed.” And even if you disagree, this is not the issue here. If you are saying that, if -52 bars open carry, then either -52 or -73 violates the RKBAs because the restrictions in -73 are too onerous and the right is too inhibited, then that’s fine–but your argument is that current laws are unconstitutional, not that current law allows open carry. Either OC is legal, or it is unconstitutionally illegal. It appears to me that -52 makes it illegal to carry on the property of others–I’ll leave whether that is unconstitutional to others....

Again...please see the cases cited in the "document".....in a nutshell, it is said that if you have a pistol license, sec 52 doesn't apply to you.....remember "EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED"?......think about it this way: you have a pistol license and carry a pistol in your car....now, when you stop to get gas, are you on "the property of another"?...what about the parking lot at the grocery store?...the home center?.....of course you ARE on "the property of another".....are you breaking the law under section 52?.....NO, because the state has given you permission under sec 73 to carry a pistol anywhere and anytime within the state that is not directly forbidden by The Code of Alabama.

I agree that if you have a pistol license, -52 does not apply to you–this is my point, and I have stated it several times. The question is, does -73 allow unlimited possession of a pistol? It allows one to carry a handgun “CONCEALED on or about his person.” You say that it does not prohibit open carry. I agree. But -52 is not the exception to -73, rather, -73 is the exception to -52.

In other words,

(1.) -52 forbids ALL possession of pistols on property of others, unless article 3 provides an exception

(2.) -73 is an exception, but it only states: “No person shall carry a pistol ... concealed on or about his person ... without a license”

-73 says nothing about open carry, it just provides an exception for concealed carry. No, it does not mandate or prohibit open carry. But, in terms of being an exception to -52, -73 only provides an exception for concealed carry.

I really do not want to go through every single case cited in that document, but if I have to...

Avtomat

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Actually. From my understanding of the code, as interpreted by court decisions and such, is that is is currently illegal to carry on another's private property even if you have a pistol permit.

1. People with pistol permits generally carry concealed, so nobody knows when they are 'breaking the law' by carrying onto private property not under their control.

My guess is that it's the first one, and most of the time it's a "don't ask don't tell" type of thing.

Ridiculous, I know.
Well, it could be interpreted that way :shock:

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Please post the information that leads you this conclusion.....IF you are correct, a PL is useless in that I can only have my pistol in my car, or conceal on my person, ONLY on public property.
Since ALL the following are "anothers private property", how would I be able to buy gas....groceries....visit the home center....go to a shooting range?

"Except as otherwise provided".....the cases I've seen "otherwise provide"...in a nutshell, they seem to say that sec 52 doesn't apply if you have a PL.

Ridiculous, I know.

kurtmax_0

imported post

I'm just saying that's what it reads like in the code to me. In case law, it seems that a restriction on OC would be considered unconstitutional, regardless of what the state code is.

I think the main problem here is the legislature made a bunch of laws regarding firearms without reading them. Or they made it confusing on purpose to instill fear into people carrying firearms.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Avtomat wrote:
I guess I need to address your arguments point-by-point. Please note I am not trying to be a smart aleck–I don’t know what kind of dispute you are in with that other guy.
"That other guy" has nothing to do with it....but I must say that you act/react a lot like him....could it be?
WTF...here we go with the friggin Latin again....using legal terms doesn't impress any greater understanding of the issue upon you....understanding the plain written word is sufficient.

Although it has a Latin name, obiter dictum (“obiter dicta” when plural, sometimes just “dicta”) is a real legal doctrine frequently used by appellate courts. The doctrine holds that when a Court states things not necessary to the decision, those statements generally are not considered law.
I know what "dicta" means......It just annoys me that some use these terms on an internet forum to make themselves seem superior in knowledge to others....I never implied the statement was "law", just that it was part of the discussion that helped the court form its opinion.....what I quoted WAS PART OF THE OPINION......
The statement in Reid regarding whether open carry can be barred had nothing to do with the case; therefore, subsequent courts generally will not consider it law.
If it had "nothing to do with the case", why would the justices have even discussed it?.....how could it have "nothing to do with the case" when it was PART OF THE OPINION?

it was part of what led them to the decision that they made.......how can it not have ANY "legal consequence"?

No, it was not part of what led them to the decision they made; in fact, whether open carry could be barred had nothing to do with it because the issue was whether concealed carry could be barred.
I understand that the case was to decide wheather concealed carry was unconstitutional....AND for you to say that "it was not part" is just plain ignorant on your part....at least please read the courts own words
"BUT THE COURT SAY......IN ORDER TO TEST THE CORRECTNESS OF ITS OPINION....WE INCLINE TO THE OPINION....."
What I quoted from Reid WAS PART OF THE OPINION.........

It could be interpreted that way but, SCOTUS has ruled in several cases that a right cannot be abrogated away nor can it be licensed or taxed etc. ....now, if OC was "forbidden"....there could be NO LAWS CONTROLLING CONCEALED CARRY as they would be unconstitutional........one way or the other, OC or CC, must remain UNINHIBITED to remain constitutional.

Well, yes, rights cannot be “abrogated away,” but they certainly can be “licensed or taxed.”
A RIGHT CANNOT BE LICENSED OR TAXED......read the friggin Constitution
And even if you disagree, this is not the issue here. If you are saying that, if -52 bars open carry,
I never said any such thing in this conversation
then either -52 or -73 violates the RKBAs because the restrictions in -73 are too onerous and the right is too inhibited, then that’s fine–but your argument is that current laws are unconstitutional,
Again, I never said any such thing.......
not that current law allows open carry. Either OC is legal, or it is unconstitutionally illegal. It appears to me that -52 makes it illegal to carry on the property of others–I’ll leave whether that is unconstitutional to others....

I agree that if you have a pistol license, -52 does not apply to you–this is my point, and I have stated it several times.
If you've stated it several times, you must be someone else under a different name.......
The question is, does -73 allow unlimited possession of a pistol? It allows one to carry a handgun “CONCEALED on or about his person.” You say that it does not prohibit open carry. I agree. But -52 is not the exception to -73, rather, -73 is the exception to -52.

In other words,

(1.) -52 forbids ALL possession of pistols on property of others, unless article 3 provides an exception

(2.) -73 is an exception, but it only states: “No person shall carry a pistol ... concealed on or about his person ... without a license”

-73 says nothing about open carry, it just provides an exception for concealed carry. No, it does not mandate or prohibit open carry. But, in terms of being an exception to -52, -73 only provides an exception for concealed carry.
I KNOW what the Code says and doesn't say....I'm not getting into a pissing match with you...I will continue to rely on WHAT THE FRIGGIN' COURTS say and let you and apjonas do all the "whatiffin'" you like......

I really do not want to go through every single case cited in that document, but if I have to...
You do whatever it is you think you need to......THE COURTS HAVE SPOKEN

apjonas

imported post

Wow! This topic can really get people riled. You know, the fact that somebody has a different point of view or interpretation is not a slur upon your manhood. Even SCOTUS justices disagree - more often than not. I am not sure why some people are so invested in a particular belief that they fear engaging in a structured, calm, rational debate. Rather they throw mud and then pick up their ball and go home in a huff.

The fact is that people have been hassled and arrested for OC in Alabama. Eventually a case will work its way up the chain. I would rather everybody understand that there are two (at least) views on the subject and since there is not ALSUPCO decision on this point (the only remotely interesting decisions predating the current statutes by decades), there is uncertainty. I don't rule out a decision favoring the 52 is limited by 73 supporters but I have made a decent analysis of why this is wrong. Accept it or challenge it but don't believe that emotional spitballs are a substitute for sound legal reasoning.

One factor that may alter the picture is the concept of "the property of another." I don't have any legislative history but it is conceivable that this statute envisions private property. I don't mean private in the sense of non-governmental but rather that which is not open to the public. Thus the grocery store, gas station, etc. even though they are privately owned, being open to the public may not fall under the restriction. Sometimes literal readings are appropriate, sometimes not. Because under a tight reading of 52, you cannot invite a friend to bring his pistol to plink with you in the back 40. This, of course, is absurd. I don't think that anyone has argued that 73 permits you to carry a pistol into someone's house even if the owner objects. Yet because you can conceal with a permit you can deny the owner the opportunity to object. Somehow that doesn't seem reasonable. A recurring theme in the cases cited is the state's desire to curtail "offensive" use of a pistol (vs. defense of oneself or the state). Prohibiting the introduction of a pistol onto the property of another without the knowledge and/or consent of the owner supports that goal. I don't think the legislature intended to give pistol licensees that kind of power. They could have explicitly so stated (as they did for concealed carry and vehicle carry) but didn't. Either:

1. They didn't intend 73 to override 52 and didn't see the "except as otherwise provided" language as even relevant.

2. They wanted 73 to override 52 and thought the "except as otherwise provided" language achieved that goal.

3. They enacted the sections independently without even thinking of the consequences.

Since even supporters of the expansive view theory of 73 are afraid to OC, I hope the top state court takes a whack and give definitive guidance.

Alternatively, some nice legislator in Alabama could get a fresh (current) AG opinion. Does anybody know one?

We could also chip in to get an opinion from an AL lawyer. Until then I have my position and am sticking to it. I am always open to a well-structured argument as to why I am wrong. I just haven't seen one yet.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

apjonas wrote:
Wow! This topic can really get people riled. You know, the fact that somebody has a different point of view or interpretation is not a slur upon your manhood.
Never felt my manhood was at question......;)
Even SCOTUS justices disagree - more often than not. I am not sure why some people are so invested in a particular belief that they fear engaging in a structured, calm, rational debate. Rather they throw mud and then pick up their ball and go home in a huff.
Keep it rational, stick to gun law/property....no HazMat etc....and I'll gladly debate.
BTW, my "particular belief" is that our rights are being abused by LEO mis-applying laws as they are....I'm trying to figure out how to stop that.

The fact is that people have been hassled and arrested for OC in Alabama.
I agree 100%...how do we proceed to stop it...ASAP?....certainly not by arguing amongst ourselves.
Eventually a case will work its way up the chain. I would rather everybody understand that there are two (at least) views on the subject and since there is not ALSUPCO decision on this point (the only remotely interesting decisions predating the current statutes by decades), there is uncertainty. I don't rule out a decision favoring the 52 is limited by 73 supporters but I have made a decent analysis of why this is wrong. Accept it or challenge it but don't believe that emotional spitballs are a substitute for sound legal reasoning.
I have seen no "sound legal reasoning" in your view point....it doesn't seem, IMHO, to coincide with recent App court decisions.....and those are what we have now.....along with the Code of course.
One factor that may alter the picture is the concept of "the property of another." I don't have any legislative history but it is conceivable that this statute envisions private property. I don't mean private in the sense of non-governmental but rather that which is not open to the public.
All property is open to the public unless it is "posted in a conspicuous manner"....ie. anyone (the public) can drive onto my, or others, property unless..... "posted in a conspicuous manner, fenced, or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders".....from the Code of Alabama.
Thus the grocery store, gas station, etc. even though they are privately owned, being open to the public may not fall under the restriction. Sometimes literal readings are appropriate, sometimes not. Because under a tight reading of 52, you cannot invite a friend to bring his pistol to plink with you in the back 40. This, of course, is absurd.
And yet you said that I was wrong when I said almost the same thing.......
I don't think that anyone has argued that 73 permits you to carry a pistol into someone's house even if the owner objects. Yet because you can conceal with a permit you can deny the owner the opportunity to object. Somehow that doesn't seem reasonable.
Oh no! what's happening...I'm feeling dizzy....we agree! :D
A recurring theme in the cases cited is the state's desire to curtail "offensive" use of a pistol (vs. defense of oneself or the state). Prohibiting the introduction of a pistol onto the property of another without the knowledge and/or consent of the owner supports that goal. I don't think the legislature intended to give pistol licensees that kind of power. They could have explicitly so stated (as they did for concealed carry and vehicle carry) but didn't. Either:

1. They didn't intend 73 to override 52 and didn't see the "except as otherwise provided" language as even relevant.
IIRC, was added to sec 52 when sec 73 was introduced into Code...1939 I think
2. They wanted 73 to override 52 and thought the "except as otherwise provided" language achieved that goal.
"Except as otherwise provided" was also added to sec 50 at the same time...
3. They enacted the sections independently without even thinking of the consequences.
They were independant...52 was 1911 iirc....73 was 1939...again, iirc
Since even supporters of the expansive view theory of 73 are afraid to OC, I hope the top state court takes a whack and give definitive guidance.

Alternatively, some nice legislator in Alabama could get a fresh (current) AG opinion. Does anybody know one?
I try not to fraternize with the enemy....... :uhoh:

We could also chip in to get an opinion from an AL lawyer.
I'll see what I can do on this one....I know a couple that might be willing....no idea what they may charge.
Until then I have my position and am sticking to it. I am always open to a well-structured argument as to why I am wrong. I just haven't seen one yet.
The App courts say so....... :p

apjonas

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
apjonas wrote:
Wow! This topic can really get people riled. You know, the fact that somebody has a different point of view or interpretation is not a slur upon your manhood.
Never felt my manhood was at question......;)
Then all the girls must be lying....just kidding.
Even SCOTUS justices disagree - more often than not. I am not sure why some people are so invested in a particular belief that they fear engaging in a structured, calm, rational debate. Rather they throw mud and then pick up their ball and go home in a huff.
Keep it rational, stick to gun law/property....no HazMat etc....and I'll gladly debate.
HazMat was an analogy, a tool to help you understand the relationship between the various laws. Did you really think I was really concerned about driver's licenses?
BTW, my "particular belief" is that our rights are being abused by LEO mis-applying laws as they are....I'm trying to figure out how to stop that.
The fact is that people have been hassled and arrested for OC in Alabama.
I agree 100%...how do we proceed to stop it...ASAP?....certainly not by arguing amongst ourselves.
This is a related issue but does not impact the analysis of the law.
Eventually a case will work its way up the chain. I would rather everybody understand that there are two (at least) views on the subject and since there is not ALSUPCO decision on this point (the only remotely interesting decisions predating the current statutes by decades), there is uncertainty. I don't rule out a decision favoring the 52 is limited by 73 supporters but I have made a decent analysis of why this is wrong. Accept it or challenge it but don't believe that emotional spitballs are a substitute for sound legal reasoning.
I have seen no "sound legal reasoning" in your view point....it doesn't seem, IMHO, to coincide with recent App court decisions.....and those are what we have now.....along with the Code of course.
That may be part of the problem. Legal reasoning and analysis does not mean simply regurgitating what is (or what you think is) the current state of the law. It is taking a fresh and comprehensive look at the various statutes and court decision and try to make a reasoned guess what the Alabama Supreme Court might say and how you can persuade them to your point of view.
One factor that may alter the picture is the concept of "the property of another." I don't have any legislative history but it is conceivable that this statute envisions private property. I don't mean private in the sense of non-governmental but rather that which is not open to the public.
All property is open to the public unless it is "posted in a conspicuous manner"....ie. anyone (the public) can drive onto my, or others, property unless..... "posted in a conspicuous manner, fenced, or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders".....from the Code of Alabama.
Sorry but you are quite wrong. Please quote the relevant sectionS (notice the emphasis) and you will see that you are missing the boat.
Thus the grocery store, gas station, etc. even though they are privately owned, being open to the public may not fall under the restriction. Sometimes literal readings are appropriate, sometimes not. Because under a tight reading of 52, you cannot invite a friend to bring his pistol to plink with you in the back 40. This, of course, is absurd.
And yet you said that I was wrong when I said almost the same thing.......
I don't think that was me. Could you find what I said and what you said that was almost the same thing?
I don't think that anyone has argued that 73 permits you to carry a pistol into someone's house even if the owner objects. Yet because you can conceal with a permit you can deny the owner the opportunity to object. Somehow that doesn't seem reasonable.
Oh no! what's happening...I'm feeling dizzy....we agree! :D
Even a broken clock is right twice a day - I let you decide who the clock is.
A recurring theme in the cases cited is the state's desire to curtail "offensive" use of a pistol (vs. defense of oneself or the state). Prohibiting the introduction of a pistol onto the property of another without the knowledge and/or consent of the owner supports that goal. I don't think the legislature intended to give pistol licensees that kind of power. They could have explicitly so stated (as they did for concealed carry and vehicle carry) but didn't. Either:

IIRC, was added to sec 52 when sec 73 was introduced into Code...1939 I think
"Except as otherwise provided" was also added to sec 50 at the same time...
They were independant...52 was 1911 iirc....73 was 1939...again, iirc

I try not to fraternize with the enemy....... :uhoh:

We could also chip in to get an opinion from an AL lawyer.
I'll see what I can do on this one....I know a couple that might be willing....no idea what they may charge.
Until then I have my position and am sticking to it. I am always open to a well-structured argument as to why I am wrong. I just haven't seen one yet.
The App courts say so....... :p
I guess the LEO's just haven't gotten the word...or is there another explanation?
So all you need to do iscarry a stack of court decisions and you should be good to open carry in Alabama.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

apjonas wrote:
HazMat was an analogy, a tool to help you understand the relationship between the various laws. Did you really think I was really concerned about driver's licenses?
Not that you were concerned about DLs...but they do deal with a totally different set of laws....in that regard, it just makes more sense to at least "stick" with the same code section.....

This is a related issue but does not impact the analysis of the law.
IMO, analysis of the law isn't needed and isn't the issue...what IS needed, again IMO, is to get LE "on the same page" as the courts.

That may be part of the problem. Legal reasoning and analysis does not mean simply regurgitating what is (or what you think is) the current state of the law. It is taking a fresh and comprehensive look at the various statutes and court decision and try to make a reasoned guess what the Alabama Supreme Court might say and how you can persuade them to your point of view.
At this point in time, IMO, what the AlSupCo might say isn't important.....my point of contention is the court decisions that we have now seem to be "on our side" yet LE doesn't.....again, LE is not following case law nor the Code for that matter.
We can't just "sit and wait" on the AlSupCo to sort this out, we may not see that in our lifetime....hell, they may be avoiding the issue entirely.

Sorry but you are quite wrong. Please quote the relevant sectionS (notice the emphasis) and you will see that you are missing the boat.
Section 13A-7-1 Definitions.
The following definitions are applicable to this article:
(1) PREMISES. Such term includes any "building," as herein defined, and any real property.
(2) BUILDING. Any structure which may be entered and utilized by persons for business, public use, lodging or the storage of goods, and such term includes any vehicle, aircraft or watercraft used for the lodging of persons or carrying on business therein, and such term includes any railroad box car or other rail equipment or trailer or tractor trailer or combination thereof. Where a building consists of two or more units separately occupied or secure, each shall be deemed both a separate building and a part of the main building. (3) DWELLING. A building which is used or normally used by a person for sleeping, living or lodging therein.
(4) ENTER OR REMAIN UNLAWFULLY. A person "enters or remains unlawfully" in or upon premises when he is not licensed, invited or privileged to do so. A person who, regardless of his intent, enters or remains in or upon premises which are at the time open to the public does so with license and privilege unless he defies a lawful order not to enter or remain, personally communicated to him by the owner of such premises or other authorized person. A license or privilege to enter or remain in a building which is partly open to the public is not a license or privilege to enter or remain in that part of the building which is not open to the public. A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, does so with license and privileges unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him by the owner of such land or other authorized person, or unless such notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner.
13A-7-1 through 13A-7-4 covers trespassing....if a driveway isn't "posted", gated etc., anyone (public) may enter....to say otherwise would mean that a neighbor couldn't ask to use your phone or to borrow something...a stranger couldn't ask directions....a salesman couldn't "call" etc. without trespassing.
If you can cite Code that proves me wrong, I'll change my opinion.....

I don't think that was me. Could you find what I said and what you said that was almost the same thing?
I can't find it at the moment but I know that you have always held the opinion that "private property" is off limits...even to a PL holder....you did finally concede that businesses ect might not be considered private in that they are "open to the public"....

I guess the LEO's just haven't gotten the word...or is there another explanation?
So all you need to do is carry a stack of court decisions and you should be good to open carry in Alabama.
I think it started out as a racial issue a long time ago...they (LEO) didn't want "just anybody" to carry openly so they decided to stop everyone from OCing...and they still don't want OC even though it is legal.
The point here is that, if it is legal, they have no right to hassle or intimidate people for doing it....
this shit needs to stop!
Carrying a stack of court decisions won't do any good..LEOs aren't going to take time to read squat that a citizen hands them in that regard....it will take re-education at best, lawsuits at worst.....

apjonas

imported post

You stated:

This statement is false. Did you think your willful strategic omissions would not be noticed?**

(4)Enter or remain unlawfully. A person "enters or remains unlawfully" in or upon premises when he is not licensed, invited or privileged to do so. A person who, regardless of his intent, enters or remains in or upon premises which are at the time open to the public* does so with license and privilege unless he defies a lawful order not to enter or remain, personally communicated to him by the owner of such premises or other authorized person. A license or privilege to enter or remain in a building which is partly open to the public is not a license or privilege to enter or remain in that part of the building which is not open to the public. A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land**, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, does so with license and privileges unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him by the owner of such land or other authorized person, or unless such notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner.

*If all property were, by default, open to the public there would be no need to make this statement.

§ 13A-7-2.Criminal trespass; first degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling.

No notice, postingor fencing is required. Nor is the owner required to first request the person to depart.

§ 13A-7-3.Criminal trespass; second degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building or upon real property which is fenced or enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders.

This is the only section that discusses fencing Because of this notice given it is a more serious matter (class C misdemeanor vs 3rd degree (below)which is a "violation")

§ 13A-7-4.Criminal trespass; third degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the third degree when he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.

No notice, posting or fencing is required. Nor is the owner required to first request the person to depart.

I realize that the various levels may be confusing and that the definitions employed may or may not be the same as common usage. I think we can find common ground on this issue. Perhaps a few examples would help:

1a. Person X enters your house, knowing that it is a house without your permission = First Degree Criminal Trespass.

1b. A life insurance salesman enters your house with your permission for a sales presentation. You think he has departed but he actually has hidden in the basement = First Degree Criminal Trespass.

2a. Neighborhood kids jump into your fenced and gated storage shed = Second Degree Criminal Trespass.

2b. After delivering a load of bricks to your fenced and gated storage shed, the deliveryman decides to take a four hour nap on your sandbags = Second Degree Criminal Trespass.

3a. Your neighbor walks onto your lawn to let his dog do its business = Third Degree Criminal Trespass.

3b. You invite your neighbor to splash about in your kiddie pool. You call it a day and say goodbye and go into your house. Neighbor decides another hour in the pool would be fun = Third Degree Criminal Trespass.

4. A transient sits down and makes a campfire on a parcel of land you own in the country, which is overgrown and without any structures = no violation

5. A transient does the same after climbing over the 6' fence you erected = Third Degree Criminal Trespass

6. Bill Gates walks onto your unimproved property passing a large neon sign that says "Private Property - No Trespassing" = Third Degree Criminal Trespass.

7. Salma Hayek enters your parcel of raw land demanding sex from you. You say "Get off of my land." She refuses = Third Degree Criminal Trespass. You undergo a mental health evaluation.

Note: Permission (explicit or implicit) from the owner/possessor or authorized agentis a "license" to enter (for a specific purpose/time). This covers the neighbor, the lost motorist, etc. There is no general license for the public to enter your home or property (except as provided in the statute). Nor is there a general license for the public to enter a business premises except at the times and for the purposes the owner permits.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

apjonas wrote:
You stated:

This statement is false. Did you think your willful strategic omissions would not be noticed?**
You either prove a "willfull strategic omission" or back off .....I omitted NOTHING...my post was quoted directly from the Code....if anything was omitted, it wasn't MY doing

(4)Enter or remain unlawfully. A person "enters or remains unlawfully" in or upon premises when he is not licensed, invited or privileged to do so. A person who, regardless of his intent, enters or remains in or upon premises which are at the time open to the public* does so with license and privilege unless he defies a lawful order not to enter or remain, personally communicated to him by the owner of such premises or other authorized person. A license or privilege to enter or remain in a building which is partly open to the public is not a license or privilege to enter or remain in that part of the building which is not open to the public. A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land**, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, does so with license and privileges unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him by the owner of such land or other authorized person, or unless such notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner.
You are highlighting from TWO DIFFERENT statements to make ONE point.....anyone can "pick and choose" and likely prove anything
*If all property were, by default, open to the public there would be no need to make this statement.
"Open to the public" means that there is no "posted" sign or no "prior verbal notification" that the property is "off limits"

§ 13A-7-2.Criminal trespass; first degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling. ......not driveway

No notice, postingor fencing is required. Nor is the owner required to first request the person to depart.

§ 13A-7-3.Criminal trespass; second degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building or upon real property which is fenced or enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders.

This is the only section that discusses fencing Because of this notice given it is a more serious matter (class C misdemeanor vs 3rd degree (below)which is a "violation")

§ 13A-7-4.Criminal trespass; third degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the third degree when he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.
If he drove into your driveway(unposted)...he did so lawfully....it is open to the public.
If you think I'm wrong on this.....(If your in AL, anywhere else doesn't matter since we're discussing AL law)....have someone park in your drive, call the police and try to have them charged with trespass..........
The first thing the LEO will ask YOU is "have you asked them to leave"?.....when you say "no", the LEO will then tell you that THEY MUST BE ASKED TO LEAVE before trespass charges can be made.

No notice, posting or fencing is required. Nor is the owner required to first request the person to depart.
BS!....I know this from personal experience....there can be NO TRESPASS CHARGE otherwise
I realize that the various levels may be confusing and that the definitions employed may or may not be the same as common usage. I think we can find common ground on this issue. Perhaps a few examples would help:
There is nothing confusing to me to about the different "degrees" of trespass.....I/you can walk onto any property (in AL) that is not "posted" and cannot be charged with trespass unless asked to leave....simple as that.....I'm not talking about walking into your house here.....just onto your property...to knock on your door or approach you in your yard to ask to use you phone etc.

1a. Person X enters your house, knowing that it is a house without your permission = First Degree Criminal Trespass.

1b. A life insurance salesman enters your house with your permission for a sales presentation. You think he has departed but he actually has hidden in the basement = First Degree Criminal Trespass.

2a. Neighborhood kids jump into your fenced and gated storage shed = Second Degree Criminal Trespass.

2b. After delivering a load of bricks to your fenced and gated storage shed, the deliveryman decides to take a four hour nap on your sandbags = Second Degree Criminal Trespass. If he did nothing else, it would likely be VERY hard to get him convicted..

3a. Your neighbor walks onto your lawn to let his dog do its business = Third Degree Criminal Trespass.

3b. You invite your neighbor to splash about in your kiddie pool. You call it a day and say goodbye and go into your house. Neighbor decides another hour in the pool would be fun = Third Degree Criminal Trespass. Again, hard to get a conviction unless you told them to leave after they return and they told you to "F-off, you invited us" etc.

4. A transient sits down and makes a campfire on a parcel of land you own in the country, which is overgrown and without any structures = no violation

5. A transient does the same after climbing over the 6' fence you erected = Third Degree Criminal Trespass

6. Bill Gates walks onto your unimproved property passing a large neon sign that says "Private Property - No Trespassing" = Third Degree Criminal Trespass.

7. Salma Hayek enters your parcel of raw land demanding sex from you. You say "Get off of my land." She refuses = Third Degree Criminal Trespass. You undergo a mental health evaluation.

Note: Permission (explicit or implicit) from the owner/possessor or authorized agentis a "license" to enter (for a specific purpose/time). This covers the neighbor, the lost motorist, etc. There is no general license for the public to enter your home or property (except as provided in the statute). Nor is there a general license for the public to enter a business premises except at the times and for the purposes the owner permits.
SO, you're trying to say that a stranger has to make an appointment to ask for directions?.....a neighbor has to "make a date" to ask to borrow my phone?
Lemme get this straight......neighbor: "could I please borrow your phone, my house is on fire and I need to call the FD"........I would reply: "I'm sorry, you don't have an appointment...oh, and by the way, you're trespassing since you weren't invited to come at this date/time"

Just try to get someone asking directions or to use your phone charged.....k?....lemme know how it turns out

apjonas

imported post

For goodness sakes man, calm down and carefully read what I wrote. In some cases, you are challenging positions that I am not taking. Afterwards, if you still disagree with me, tell me why my interpretation of the law is wrong. I quoted verbatim directly from the Alabama Code. I didn't just make this stuff up. Now I concede that an actual case may consider many things besides the statute but that does not change what the statute says.

Actually you are so far off the reservation that I am not going to wait.

apjonas

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
apjonas wrote:
You stated:

You either prove a "willfull strategic omission" or back off .....I omitted NOTHING...my post was quoted directly from the Code....if anything was omitted, it wasn't MY doing
You have got to be kidding. Notice all those "....." in your statement? They are called ellipses and mean SOMETHING HAS BEEN LEFT OUT. Inthis case the phrase "unimproved and apparently unused land" - a significant omission - don't you think?

You are highlighting from TWO DIFFERENT statements to make ONE point.....anyone can "pick and choose" and likely prove anything
No, I am not. I emphasized these phrases because they disprove your point. You are assuming the conclusion - that the land is open to the public.
"Open to the public" means that there is no "posted" sign or no "prior verbal notification" that the property is "off limits"
Where do you find this definition? In the Code, I mean - not in your Big Chief notebook.

§ 13A-7-2.Criminal trespass; first degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling. ......not driveway

Yes, yes this section supports what you say. I agree and gave an explanation. The problem is that it is not the ONLY section.

If he drove into your driveway(unposted)...he did so lawfully....it is open to the public.
If you think I'm wrong on this.....(If your in AL, anywhere else doesn't matter since we're discussing AL law)....have someone park in your drive, call the police and try to have them charged with trespass..........
The first thing the LEO will ask YOU is "have you asked them to leave"?.....when you say "no", the LEO will then tell you that THEY MUST BE ASKED TO LEAVE before trespass charges can be made.

BS!....I know this from personal experience....there can be NO TRESPASS CHARGE otherwise
Once again - please show everybody where in the Alabama Code this is written. Notice that I am not saying that a trespass charge will necessarily follow. If you have somebody park in your drive you have given them license to do so. In our society (perhaps even in your neighborhood), there is an implicit license for a lost motorist to stop to ask the way or your neighbor to come over to borrow a cup of sugar. This is another thing I mentioned that you apparently do not understand. The statute does not list every possible circumstance. If somebody pulls into your driveway to take a whiz, this is 2nd degree criminal trespass (probably indecent exposure, public urination to boot). Why? Because it cannot be argued that you implicitly licensed the guy to use your driveway as a toilet. This is true even if you do not have a fence because your land is demarcated by the public sidewalk which is sufficient to "enclose" it. If your contention were true, trespass would not be an option.
There is nothing confusing to me to about the different "degrees" of trespass.....I/you can walk onto any property (in AL) that is not "posted" and cannot be charged with trespass unless asked to leave....simple as that.....I'm not talking about walking into your house here.....just onto your property...to knock on your door or approach you in your yard to ask to use you phone etc.
You are confused. Despite the clear wording of the statutes you insist on adhering to the "urban legend" theory of jurisprudence. To be consistent you would have to say that a man who walks into your home through an open door to say "hi" to your wife while she is showering has not committed a crime unless and until she asks him to leave and he refuses to do so.
Your backup position is that it would be "hard" to get a conviction in certain of these cases. Perhaps but that is a completely different issue and does not mean that the law is not what it is. It certainly is NOT what you claimed.

Even if you don't ask him to leave? If your house isn't posted then according to you it's open to the public.

Even if you don't ask him to leave? If your house isn't posted then according to you it's open to the public. I wonder why you are pretending that these sections don't exist.

Not until you ask the tykes to leave?

2b. After delivering a load of bricks to your fenced and gated storage shed, the deliveryman decides to take a four hour nap on your sandbags = Second Degree Criminal Trespass. If he did nothing else, it would likely be VERY hard to get him convicted..
See below.

3b. You invite your neighbor to splash about in your kiddie pool. You call it a day and say goodbye and go into your house. Neighbor decides another hour in the pool would be fun = Third Degree Criminal Trespass. Again, hard to get a conviction unless you told them to leave after they return and they told you to "F-off, you invited us" etc.

SO, you're trying to say that a stranger has to make an appointment to ask for directions?.....a neighbor has to "make a date" to ask to borrow my phone?
No, I am saying no such thing. If you don't understand what words like "implicit" mean, just ask. There is no shame in having a limited vocabulary. It might help you understand.
Lemme get this straight......neighbor: "could I please borrow your phone, my house is on fire and I need to call the FD"........I would reply: "I'm sorry, you don't have an appointment...oh, and by the way, you're trespassing since you weren't invited to come at this date/time"
Sorry,you don't have it straight. Reread until understood.:banghead:
Just try to get someone asking directions or to use your phone charged.....k?....lemme know how it turns out

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

apjonas.....

Section 13A-7-1 Definitions. The following definitions are applicable to this article:
(1) PREMISES. Such term includes any "building," as herein defined, and any real property.
(2) BUILDING. Any structure which may be entered and utilized by persons for business, public use, lodging or the storage of goods, and such term includes any vehicle, aircraft or watercraft used for the lodging of persons or carrying on business therein, and such term includes any railroad box car or other rail equipment or trailer or tractor trailer or combination thereof. Where a building consists of two or more units separately occupied or secure, each shall be deemed both a separate building and a part of the main building.
(3) DWELLING. A building which is used or normally used by a person for sleeping, living or lodging therein.
(4) ENTER OR REMAIN UNLAWFULLY. A person "enters or remains unlawfully" in or upon premises when he is not licensed, invited or privileged to do so. A person who, regardless of his intent, enters or remains in or upon premises which are at the time open to the public does so with license and privilege unless he defies a lawful order not to ("real property" such as a driveway, yard etc. is "implicitly" open to the public unless it is "posted"...a dwelling IS NOT because it is "otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders") enter or remain, personally communicated to him by the owner of such premises or other authorized person. A license or privilege to enter or remain in a building which is partly open to the public is not a license or privilege to enter or remain in that part of the building which is not open to the public. A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, does so with license and privileges unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him by the owner of such land or other authorized person, or unless such notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner.

I'm done arguing this point with you...I know what I say is true from personal experience on the complainant side
....all your smarta$$ snide remarks and insults will not change what the law says......

apjonas

imported post

Ah, come on. I want to hear the details of your story. I didn't realize that you were a party to such a case.

What do you think "open to the public" means in the statute? Can you give an example of some premises that is not "open to the public"?

You have stated so far that a driveway is "open to the public" and therefore I must inform anybody that comes onto it to leave and receive a refusal before a trespass has occurred. Is that correct?

§ 13A-7-1.Definitions.The following definitions are applicable to this article:(1)Premises. Such term includes any "building," as herein defined, and any real property.(2)Building. Any structure which may be entered and utilized by persons for business, public use, lodging or the storage of goods, and such term includes any vehicle, aircraft or watercraft used for the lodging of persons or carrying on business therein, and such term includes any railroad box car or other rail equipment or trailer or tractor trailer or combination thereof. Where a building consists of two or more units separately occupied or secure, each shall be deemed both a separate building and a part of the main building.(3)Dwelling. A building which is used or normally used by a person for sleeping, living or lodging therein.(4)Enter or remain unlawfully. A person "enters or remains unlawfully" in or upon premises when he is not licensed, invited or privileged to do so. A person who, regardless of his intent, enters or remains in or upon premises which are at the time open to the public does so with license and privilege unless he defies a lawful order not to enter or remain, personally communicated to him by the owner of such premises or other authorized person. A license or privilege to enter or remain in a building which is partly open to the public is not a license or privilege to enter or remain in that part of the building which is not open to the public. A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, does so with license and privileges unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him by the owner of such land or other authorized person, or unless such notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner.

§ 13A-7-2.Criminal trespass; first degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully (that is, he is not licensed, invited or privileged to do so) in a dwelling.(b)Criminal trespass in the first degree is a Class A misdemeanor.

In general, is a dwelling considered "open to the public"? Why or why not?

§ 13A-7-3.Criminal trespass; second degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building or upon real property which is fenced or enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders.(b)Criminal trespass in the second degree is a Class C misdemeanor.

Could a dwelling be covered under this section?

§ 13A-7-4.Criminal trespass; third degree.(a)A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the third degree when he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.(b)Criminal trespass in the third degree is a violation.

What type of premises would be covered here (and not under the other two)? Is it necessary for notice to leave be given and refused before trespass occurs? Give an example of a premises "open to the public" to which this applies. How about one not "open to the public"?