• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Mesa

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'll probably be visiting family in the Mesa area this weekend, and was wondering about OC laws there.

I'm not sure if AZ state law preempts municipal code or not. Here in CA, many cities/towns ban gun possession in public places.

Can anybody verify OC laws in Mesa?

Thanks in advance.

mzbk2l

imported post

From the map on http://www.opencarry.org/

Arizona Summary

Arizona is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption* of all firearms laws, open carry is common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality.

*Complete preemption of firearms laws except localities may still limit firearms possession in parks or preserves to persons who possess a concealed weapons permit.

I live in Mesa, and OC is quite common. I've seen it on motorcycles on the street, seen it in the bank, in the junkyard, in the eye doctor's office, and just out and about in general. Last time I called a tow truck, the driver was OCing.

With 400,000 people in our little "suburb of Phoenix," it's not like you're going to see it on every corner, but it is common and it is commonly accepted.

No permits, no registration; all you need is a gun and a holster. :)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

OK, that's what I had heard from my family in Apache Junction. But most of them have had their right to carry revoked due to felony convictions... so I figured I would get some outside verification.

Thanks for the scoop.