Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Handling?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Just out of curiosity, what's the general thought (or law, perhaps?) on drawing your weapon out of the holster. If you and a friend are in public and you're OC'ing for the first time and he asks to be shown the weapon, is there anything prohibited by law about this?

As a general note, I know this might be considered stupid and there are safety issues that go along with it, however, after reading the forums, it's just something I haven't seen anyone writing about.

Post imported post

I would be concerned that could be considered brandishing a weapon. However, I have done that same thing. I was walking my dogs and stopped to talk to a friend and he wanted to see the gun. We were on his property, but in plain sight and I pulled it out to let him see it. He only looked at it for about 30 seconds. Of course be sure about the kind of person you are showing your gun to before you disarm and hand over your gun.

Post imported post

I have to transport my gun unloaded, so I am obliged to insert the magazine and rack a round as I get out of my car at work. I've gotten some weird looks, but not a big deal so far. Likewise, I throw on the safety and release the magazine if there's anyone I trust enough to disarm in front of and show my weapon to (doesn't come up much). No complants to date. Just don't "accidentally" point it at anyone and they shouldn't flip out.

-ljp

State Researcher

Post imported post

The only thing I would be concerned with has already been stated, brandishing.

Also, only show it to known people that you trust enough, don't want to call the police to get your gun back :P

Post imported post

In Vegas that's brandishing. Take it to a public restoom or behind a building.. out of site, out of mind.

Post imported post

I think the general rule is that you don't "show" someone else a loaded gun. You should unload it before you hand it over to someone.

And it is dangerous to wave a loaded gun in public.

"Showing ... off" a gun, especially a loaded one, lacks maturity according to someone here who opined about that same issue.

I think"showing" a loaded gunis quite foolish. Probably, irresponsible, depending on how/where it is done.

If I saw anyone "showing" a gun to someone on the street, I'd be dialing 911 immediately.

State Researcher

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    I think the general rule is that you don't "show" someone else a loaded gun. You should unload it before you hand it over to someone.

"Showing ... off" a gun, especially a loaded one, lacks maturity according to someone here who opined about that same issue.

I think"showing" a loaded gunis quite foolish. Probably, irresponsible, depending on how/where it is done.

If I saw anyone "showing" a gun to someone on the street, I'd be dialing 911 immediately.
    If you want to show your firearm to someone make sure you don't live by HANKT, you will be arrested!

In all honesty, HankT is probably right, even though I am pro-2A showing a firearm to someone loaded or unloaded in plain view is probably not the best of ideas, these are best saved for a more private time.

It would be impossible to explain to everyone that could see you that you are doing now harm, there is always an over reacter who will want to have the police come out.

Post imported post

I hope very few people are uneducated enough to hand a loaded gun to another person. It's common sense, but if you are showing someone a gun, always unload it, and the other person should check it himself to make sure, even if he just watched you check it. Safety first, right?

State Researcher

Post imported post

HankT wrote:

Never before have I seen so many understatements in a single post. As per dictum, you unload and clear a firearm before giving it to someone (which I alluded to when I mentioned the safety issues thatgo along with it). Along with that same dictum, you keep it pointed in a safe direction and not 'wave' it around in public -- I have no idea from where you extracted that pearl.

I was inquiring as to specific knowledge about possible code violations, which someone aptly pointed out 'brandishing' andyou attempt to create a conflict by using all of the demeaning words you can possible fit into your reply. Even as a first day poster, I can tell you're probably a pretty popular guy around here.

Post imported post

Wynder wrote:
    I was inquiring as to specific knowledge about possible code violations,

Perhaps I misunderstood your OP?

Wynder wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, what's the general thought (or law, perhaps?) on drawing your weapon out of the holster

State Researcher

Post imported post

BUSTED!

State Researcher

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Wynder wrote:

Wynder wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, what's the general thought (or law, perhaps?) on drawing your weapon out of the holster

Clarified at the bottom of that pargraph:

"is there anything prohibited by law about this?"

Post imported post

Wynder wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Wynder wrote:

Wynder wrote:

Clarified at the bottom of that pargraph:

"is there anything prohibited by law about this?"
    And here, too?

Wynder wrote:
    As a general note, I know this might be considered stupid and there are safety issues that go along with it, however, after reading the forums, it's just something I haven't seen anyone writing about.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Wynder wrote:
    I was inquiring as to specific knowledge about possible code violations, which someone aptly pointed out 'brandishing' and you attempt to create a conflict by using all of the demeaning words you can possible fit into your reply. Even as a first day poster, I can tell you're probably a pretty popular guy around here.
    ROFLMAO........

Welcome to OCDO Wynder!

State Researcher

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    And here, too?

Wynder wrote:
    That doesn't clarify that I was looking for something along the lines of code violation, no.

Post imported post

Where's the popcorn? This should be good...

State Researcher

Post imported post

Naw... I'm not going to bother anymore -- I put up with enough between work and other activities, that I'm trying to make my entrance into the world of firearms something more positive and relaxing.

Waiting for my first firearm to ship at this very moment.

Post imported post

I hear you! I am a little disappointed there isn't going to be a free show after all.:? Maybe next time... Just don't let HankT run you off.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I don't understand how he ran anyone off. It was a matter of opinion and the opening post, although not 100% clear by any stretch about what answers he wanted. HankT was certainly not pushing anything onto him that he did not solicit.

Post imported post

Sorry - I couldn't find any Delaware-specific charge concerning brandishing a firearm in the state criminal code. Maybe it's legal (bwahahaha, right). It presumably falls under disorderly conduct or some such, in the absense of a specific charge.

-ljp

State Researcher

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    Sorry - I couldn't find any Delaware-specific charge concerning brandishing a firearm in the state criminal code. Maybe it's legal (bwahahaha, right).

-ljp
    Maybe it would be 'causing alarm'?

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    I don't understand how he ran anyone off. It was a matter of opinion and the opening post, although not 100% clear by any stretch about what answers he wanted. HankT was certainly not pushing anything onto him that he did not solicit.
    I don't think he ran him off.

I did not have any trouble understanding his question. I believe he was asking people's opinion on the matter and for a link to a law that dealt with the issue. And he got answers on both questions; people's opinion and the answer that legba couldn't find a law.

But that's just my 2 cents, and it's not worth arguing over, in my opinion. It doesn't really matter either way.

Post imported post

Wynder wrote:
    Even as a first day poster, I can tell you're probably a pretty popular guy around here.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA. Sorry, just had to comment on that. How true. *clap* for the new poster, he calls 'em as he sees 'em.
    -Unrequited

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I would strongly suggest you not do this in any public place. Not only would this most likely be construed as brandishing, but I'm sure an LEO could come up with some other little niceties to make your day. And then there isthis.

I happen to know of an event where a Falls Church police officer pulled out his sidearm to show a man in a drug store. The weapon discharged, killing the man.. who was a teacher at George Mason Jr.Sr. High School in Falls Church.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

only law I can find specifically sights brandishing to be in a threatening manner...

NRS 202.320 Drawing deadly weapon in threatening manner. 1. Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person having, carrying or procuring from another person any dirk, dirk-knife, sword, sword cane, pistol, gun or other deadly weapon, who, in the presence of two or more persons, draws or exhibits any of such deadly weapons in a rude, angry or threatening manner not in necessary self-defense, or who in any manner unlawfully uses that weapon in any fight or quarrel, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    2. A sheriff, deputy sheriff, marshal, constable or other peace officer shall not be held to answer, under the provisions of subsection 1, for drawing or exhibiting any of the weapons mentioned therein while in the lawful discharge of his duties.
    [1911 C&P § 174; RL § 6439; NCL § 10121]—(NRS A 1967, 486; 1989, 1240)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast