• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Handling?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
Sorry - I couldn't find any Delaware-specific charge concerning brandishing a firearm in the state criminal code. Maybe it's legal (bwahahaha, right).

-ljp
Maybe it would be 'causing alarm'?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
I don't understand how he ran anyone off. It was a matter of opinion and the opening post, although not 100% clear by any stretch about what answers he wanted. HankT was certainly not pushing anything onto him that he did not solicit.

I don't think he ran him off.

I did not have any trouble understanding his question. I believe he was asking people's opinion on the matter and for a link to a law that dealt with the issue. And he got answers on both questions; people's opinion and the answer that legba couldn't find a law.

But that's just my 2 cents, and it's not worth arguing over, in my opinion. It doesn't really matter either way.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I would strongly suggest you not do this in any public place. Not only would this most likely be construed as brandishing, but I'm sure an LEO could come up with some other little niceties to make your day. And then there isthis.

I happen to know of an event where a Falls Church police officer pulled out his sidearm to show a man in a drug store. The weapon discharged, killing the man.. who was a teacher at George Mason Jr.Sr. High School in Falls Church.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

only law I can find specifically sights brandishing to be in a threatening manner...

NRS 202.320 Drawing deadly weapon in threatening manner. 1. Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person having, carrying or procuring from another person any dirk, dirk-knife, sword, sword cane, pistol, gun or other deadly weapon, who, in the presence of two or more persons, draws or exhibits any of such deadly weapons in a rude, angry or threatening manner not in necessary self-defense, or who in any manner unlawfully uses that weapon in any fight or quarrel, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
2. A sheriff, deputy sheriff, marshal, constable or other peace officer shall not be held to answer, under the provisions of subsection 1, for drawing or exhibiting any of the weapons mentioned therein while in the lawful discharge of his duties.
[1911 C&P § 174; RL § 6439; NCL § 10121]—(NRS A 1967, 486; 1989, 1240)

Tomahawk

imported post

My thoughts? No frikkin' way. Not with my gun, not in public.

At the range, or in private, sure, after I unload, clear, and lock, and if I trust you. Maybe.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

At the range, or in private, sure, after I unload, clear, and lock, and if I trust you. Maybe.
Nothing like getting pistol whipped with your own piece... :p

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

I dunno, Tomahawk, the OP might not like your reply. He says he wasonly "inquiring as to specific knowledge about possible code violations..."

;)

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Or the unlikely but possible event that said person removes a single bullet from their pocket, racks it and shoots you :shock:

openryan wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Or the unlikely but possible event that said person removes a single bullet from their pocket, racks it and shoots you :shock:

openryan wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

They would probably have to carry several bullets unless they have some way of knowing your caliber before the act itself.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Legba wrote:
Sorry - I couldn't find any Delaware-specific charge concerning brandishing a firearm in the state criminal code. Maybe it's legal (bwahahaha, right). It presumably falls under disorderly conduct or some such, in the absense of a specific charge.

-ljp

Gotta love DC. If you can't charge 'em with anything, just slap 'em with DC!!!

kparker

imported post

You mean you didn't disable yours?

You must be kidding....

If you want a handgun w/o a magazine safety, buy one that starts out that way. I can't think of a worse thing to do* than custom mod a firearm so that it operates in a way different than described in the manual of arms.

[line]
*OK, that's clearly an exaggeration: there are plenty of things worse, but it's still a very bad idea IMO.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Where's the popcorn? This should be good...:)
popcorn1.gif
popcorn1.gif

Tomahawk

imported post

kparker wrote:

You must be kidding....

If you want a handgun w/o a magazine safety, buy one that starts out that way. I can't think of a worse thing to do* than custom mod a firearm so that it operates in a way different than described in the manual of arms.

[line]
*OK, that's clearly an exaggeration: there are plenty of things worse, but it's still a very bad idea IMO.

Suit yourself.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
kparker wrote:

You must be kidding....

[line]

Suit yourself.

I could never figure out why the manufacturers decided to commonly make semi-autos with and without mag disconnects. Pretty much guarantees a certain type of fatal mistake.Not that many, too be sure. But over time...

I'm thinking of buying a semi-auto handgun with a magazine safety. Then I would have the weird pleasure of disabling it. I think that is so cool.

I have a lever gun with a crossbolt safety on it. I think Ima gonna disable that one too. You can never be too anti-safety. :p

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
kparker wrote:

You must be kidding....

[line]

Suit yourself.

I could never figure out why the manufacturers decided to commonly make semi-autos with and without mag disconnects. Pretty much guarantees a certain type of fatal mistake.Not that many, too be sure. But over time...

I'm thinking of buying a semi-auto handgun with a magazine safety. Then I would have the weird pleasure of disabling it. I think that is so cool.

I have a lever gun with a crossbolt safety on it. I think Ima gonna disable that one too. You can never be too anti-safety. :p
My first auto-pistol has a mag safety, and back when I bought it, I was not too knowledgable about such things. Turns out that all the pistols from that manufacturer were equipped with them, mainly because they were trying to market them to lawsuit-conscious LE agencies. After reading lots about it, I found that magazine safeties could be a serious liability in a fight, and they also lent a false sense of security to a neophyte. Also, I dislike not being able to de-cock it without inserting a mag. My particular model is very easy to disable the mag safety without using tools, and I can re-enable it in the few minutes it takes to break it down for cleaning, and I do not have to remove or alter any factory parts. So I disabled it. If I ever sell it or see some other need, I can re-enable it. A firearm is a tool: as long as you make sure you know what you are doing, you may as well get it to do what you want.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Suit yourself.

My first auto-pistol has a mag safety, and back when I bought it, I was not too knowledgable about such things. Turns out that all the pistols from that manufacturer were equipped with them, mainly because they were trying to market them to lawsuit-conscious LE agencies. After reading lots about it, I found that magazine safeties could be a serious liability in a fight, and they also lent a false sense of security to a neophyte. Also, I dislike not being able to de-cock it without inserting a mag. My particular model is very easy to disable the mag safety without using tools, and I can re-enable it in the few minutes it takes to break it down for cleaning, and I do not have to remove or alter any factory parts. So I disabled it. If I ever sell it or see some other need, I can re-enable it. A firearm is a tool: as long as you make sure you know what you are doing, you may as well get it to do what you want.

How is a mag disconnecta "serious liability in a fight?"

And how does it lend "a false sense of security to a neophyte?"

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:
How is a mag disconnecta "serious liability in a fight?"

And how does it lend "a false sense of security to a neophyte?"

If you are changing magazines with one still in the pipe your pistol is useless until you finish the mag change.

The false sense of security I spoke of can be attributed to pretty much any safety device, in this case a newbie who thinks his pistol is safe because he doesn't have a magazine inserted must be disabused of the notion.

In the end it's personal preference. 1911s don't have magazine safeties, and this makes them no less safe than any other pistol. Plus they can conveniently be decocked without inserting a magazine, which I like.

The real safety is the one between your ears. (Or your butt cheeks in some cases)