• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested in Shippensburg University gun incident

dng

State Researcher
imported post

What if this guy had been getting ready to go on a shooting spree? Announcements on loudspeakers can warn people, but they can't stop bullets.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

dngreer wrote:
Still can't carry on campus, I believe.
Like most states, carry on college campuses are not banned in PA; state agencies are, presumably, preempted by way of the doctrine that agencies' powers extend only as far as explicitly authorized.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry, I thought I had read he was a student and that would make it so he would not be able to carry. But the story doesn't say that.He was a boyfriend of a student. I guess I should read more carefully, huh?:D

chesire17201

imported post

Regardless, even if he was a student, it would only be aginst school "policy" not illegal.

Course i'm not real sure where I am on this, as the article leads you into thinking he had ill intentions(haven't heard his side)....but this is a fairly liberal paper.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
Whether a student LAWFULLY carrying cold be lawfully expelled for violating a college carry ban rule is a gray area in every state.
I didn't knowthat it could be considered a gray area. I guess you learn something new everyday! Has anyone experienced this problem or taken a school to court over this issue? It would be nice if there was case law backing students right to carry.

chesire17201

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Mike wrote:
Whether a student LAWFULLY carrying cold be lawfully expelled for violating a college carry ban rule is a gray area in every state.
I didn't knowthat it could be considered a gray area. I guess you learn something new everyday! Has anyone experienced this problem or taken a school to court over this issue? It would be nice if there was case law backing students right to carry.

there is a thread on pafoa about this....From mike here at OCDO (just realized the same mike as in this thread) so maybe he has more info...

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed-open-carry-121/6343-college-student-carry-campus.html

edited cause I'm slow

UTOC-45-44

imported post

chesire17201 wrote:
full story here... http://www.publicopiniononline.com/localnews/ci_6503838

Basic jist is a 19 yr old was carrying concealed, no permit, sounds like this guy needs to brush up on carry law.

Even so...this Feller did not fulfill the "requirement" of being 21 to CCW anyways.

If I would have been there I would probably be right up to the Guy and ask what the H*** he was doing and asking if he had a CCW and "kindly" but VERY firmly ask to see it. If he could not produce ANY nor ID I would definitly have a VERY Concerned attitude towards him. I probably would somehow as calmly as possibly ask him to hand over the "Piece". Somehow disarm him til Local Authorities arrived and let them handle it from there. I believe to somewhat prevent and protect when ever possible

Some of you Guys will probably "fry" me for saying this but I would just not let him "just" go his merry way. I KNOW I'M NOT A COP, but for somebody swinging a gun around the way he did, I believe my approach would/could have been PREVENTIVE.

I am for People Carry but in the manner in which he did it was even to me a little bit wreckless due to the fact of some "school" incidents lately.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm certainly not condoning this guy's actions, but I'd personnally have a few problems with your stated response in a similar situation.
  • I have no duty to present my ID or LTCF to a 'concerned citizen'.
  • I would not allow you to disarm me under any circumstance. How do I know what you're going to do with my gun?
If you sincerely have a problem with me and/or my weapon, then contact law enforcement. I'll be happy to sort things out with them.

Any unknown party, not operating in any official capacity has as much legal standing with me as a "No weapons" sign (NO legal weight in PA).

I was not present, but based on the article alone, I would not necessarily label it as wreckless. The article stated that he removed the weapon from a pocket, loaded it, and placed it back into his pocket, not that he was "swinging it around". STUPID? Absolutely. Wreckless? Perhaps. The actual legal issue that caused him to be arrested was the concealed possession without a LTCF. Funny how it's not the actual 'illegal act' that's getting all the attention.

chesire17201

imported post

agreed.....but more to the point, here in pa if he had been OPEN carrying,he would have been doingabsolutlely nothing illegal....as you can open carry in pa at 18, which brings me back to, what would the SU police have done then, as in pa there is also no brandishing law? But fact remains , yes he was 19 and carrying concealed w/out a ltcf, stupid....now he has a felony charge......to which they set a $2500 bond, so they aren't too concerned about it, I've seen 1'st time dui around these parts get a 10G bond........

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I suspect there would have still been a confrontation, resulting in at least an instruction to leave campus and not return with a weapon.

While it wasn't an option for this guy, that's where a LTCF comes in handy. While it may not be illegal to carry on campus (OC or CC), I'm sure they have some type of rule about it . My legally concealed weapon allows me to protect myself while not having to work through a confrontation. As much as I want to educate folks on the legality of both types of carry in PA, there are some days where the potential of being detained by someone who doesn't know the law just doesn't fit into my schedule. That being said, I'm not criticizing OC in any way, and hope we can make it more prevalent.

cheshire, do you OC around Chambersburg? I'd be curious to hear about any experiences you've had.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Even so...this Feller did not fulfill the "requirement" of being 21 to CCW anyways.
The story erred, er, the quoted LEO erred, by stating that this was a req. i tis req to be 21 to apply for a LTCF, but PA accepts XCHPs issued by some states that issue at 18 (e.g., NH).

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Mike wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
The story erred, er, the quoted LEO erred, by stating that this was a req. i tis req to be 21 to apply for a LTCF, but PA accepts XCHPs issued by some states that issue at 18 (e.g., NH).

Mike, you are correct in your statement. I know Wyoming is one of them states too.

But I would be a little bit nervous myself if I saw somebody in Public loading their firearm. And by loading I mean Chambering the Gun and "stash" it away".

To me he was just trying to "show" off. There is a Place for everything, and aCAMPUS is NOT the Place to Chamber your Gun in Public. Maybe a shooting Range, the Gun Store etc

Chris

imported post

I am pro OC and CCW but I think it is not always the right to do so that people might be worried about but the INTENT. Maybe the case will be judged on that merit and whether there was any intent to commit a crime and what that might have been. I think the public is nervous and maybe rightfully so and they aren't going to say..."Oh Gee"....that guy is carrying a gun and he might save our lives. I guess the common sense thing is to be smart and don't do stupid things.