• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time to push National Park Carry Bill!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Everyone needs to email their federal Representative on this ASAP to gain co-sponsors - in fact email every Representitive for any district in which you live, work, go to school, or own property!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's Gun Dealer Legal Defense Fund -- help fight Mayor Bloomberg's
scheme to cripple Virginia firearms dealers. See: www.vcdl.org/index.html#DefenseFund
To unsubscribe or change your email address, please follow the
directions at the end of this message.

A few months ago pro-gun Congressman Ron Paul (TX-14) introduced a bill that would prohibit any regulation barring carry in National Parks!

The bill number is HR. 1897, the National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2007.

--

ACTION ITEM

Currently there is only one cosponsor of the bill :-(

That cosponsor is none other than Virgil Goode, Jr. of Virginia (R-5)!

We need to get the word out so we can get a lot of cosponsors on this bill.

If your Congressman is Virgil Goode, contact him and thank him for signing on to HR. 1897.

If your Congressman is NOT Virgil Goode, then you can contact them by clicking here:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Suggested message:

--

I urge you to cosponsor and help move Congressman Ron Paul's bill HR. 1897!

HR. 1897 will allow law-abiding gun owners to be able to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park.

The Department of the Interior has refused to seriously consider changing their current regulations to allow citizens the right to self-defense, even though crime is on the rise in National Parks.

Congress needs to act to protect the lives of innocent citizens.

Please let me know what you are going to do.

--

The wording of the bill can be seen by clicking here:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1897:

National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2007 (Introduced in House)

HR 1897 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1897

To protect the second amendment rights of individuals to carry firearms in units of the National Park System, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

April 17, 2007

Mr. PAUL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources

A BILL

To protect the second amendment rights of individuals to carry firearms in units of the National Park System, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

Congress finds that--

(1) the second amendment to the Constitution provides that `the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed';

(2) section 2.4(a)(1) of title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that `except as otherwise provided in this section and parts 7 (special regulations) and 13 (Alaska regulations), the following are prohibited: (i) Possessing a weapon, trap or net (ii) Carrying a weapon, trap or net (iii) Using a weapon, trap or net';

(3) the regulations described in paragraph (2) prevent individuals complying with Federal and State laws from exercising the second amendment rights of the individuals while at units of the National Park System;

(4) the existence of different laws relating to the transportation and possession of firearms at different units of the National Park System entraps law-abiding gun owners while at units of the National Park System; and

(5) the Federal laws should make it clear that the second amendment rights of an individual at a unit of the National Park System should not be infringed.

SEC. 3. FIREARMS IN UNITS OF THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM.

No Federal regulation shall restrict any individual from possessing or carrying a firearm if that restriction is based in whole or in part upon the fact that the individual is in a unit of the National Park System.

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
IMPORTANT: It is our intention to honor all "remove" requests promptly.
To unsubscribe from this list, or change the email address where you
receive messages, please go to:
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?member_id=700527&id_secret=26507213-537aad
Powered by Listbox: http://www.listbox.com

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; }

XD Owner

imported post

Here is what I wrote.

Dear Congressman Moran,

As a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permitee, I find it unreasonable (after undergoing a background check and VA State Police-vetted fingerprint check) that I have to leave my firearm (personal protective equipment) behind when I visit a National Park.

It is well known that dangerous wild animals have attacked innocent people in National Parks with tragic results. A firearm can certainly dissuade if not stop an attacking animal.

I therefore ask you to co-sponsor HR 1897. HR. 1897 will allow law-abiding gun owners like msyelf to be able to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park.

The Department of the Interior has refused to seriously consider changing their current regulations to allow citizens the right to self-defense, even though they refuse to guarantee the safety of visitors in National Parks.

Thank you.

---------------------------------------

Of course I have the bad luck to be represented by Jim "I Want to Ban Guns" Moran.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Just wrote to Roscoe Barltett in maryland about it. He has a failry good record on the second amendment and I have talked to him once before while I was in the Boy Scouts. He seems like a decent enough guy to support such a measure. Hopefully he will give his support

XD Owner

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've contacted Congresswoman Joann Davis and Senators Warner and Webb:

Senator Webb:

Your campaign for U.S. Senate ran on a pro-gun platform to include a repeal for National Park Service gun ban [VCDL VA-Alert 11/12/2006]. I think it is time you honor some of your campaign promises.

Representative Ron Paul introduced HR 1897 on April 17, 2007. Its purpose is to restore law-abiding citizens right to carry firearms on National Park Service (NPS) land. The bill is eloquently simple and succinct.

I am writing to ask that you introduce this bill in the Senate and to lobby for and support both versions.

Sincerely,

rlh2005

Senator Warner:

Representative Ron Paul introduced HR 1897 on April 17, 2007. Its purpose is to restore law-abiding citizens right to carry firearms on National Park Service (NPS) land. The bill is eloquently simple and succinct.

I am writing to ask that you introduce this bill in the Senate and to lobby for and support both versions.

Sincerely,

rlh2005

Cue-Ball

imported post

Congressman Inslee,

As a member of your constituency, I am writing to request that you co-sponsor bill HR. 1897, along with representative Ron Paul of Texas. This bill would restore the rights of law abiding citizens to carry firearms in national parks. As it currently stands, citizens are unconstitutionally prohibited from carrying weapons for their own protection. Given the remoteness of many of these parks, there is essentially no deterrent effect from police, and little chance of a crime victim getting a quick response.

I urge you to give this bill your full support, so that law abiding citizens like myself can enjoy our national parks to the fullest, without fearing for our personal safety.

Thank you,

UTOC-45-44

imported post

It's Sad:(. But I don't go and visit Zion's National Park and Areas like it, due to that I cannot carry there. The last trip was about 9 years ago to Zions.

It's tuff on the Family's HAPPY time, to ALWAYS have to think How and Where to get where.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Done, days ago. Still no reply from anyone...hmmm wonder if they just don't care about what the American people have to say? Nah, that's impossible!

ijusam

imported post

Dear Congressman Castle,

As a Delaware Concealed Deadly Weapon Permitee, I find it unreasonable (after undergoing a FBI background check and DE State Police fingerprint check) that I have to leave my firearm (personal protective equipment) behind when I visit a National Park.

It is well known that dangerous wild animals have attacked innocent people in National Parks with tragic results. A firearm can certainly dissuade if not stop an attacking animal.

Violent crime also occur in these parks. As it currently stands, citizens are unconstitutionally prohibited from carrying weapons for their own protection. Given the remoteness of many of these parks, there is essentially no deterrent effect from police, and little chance of a crime victim getting a quick response

While Delaware has no National Parks, many places Delaware residents visit and vacation at are or have National Parks. Skyline drive in Virginia is a popular place near here where we would be denied the same right to self defense that we have here in Delaware. Support of HR 1897 would in no way affect Delaware, but could insure the safety of Delawareans in their travels.

I therefore ask you to co-sponsor HR 1897. HR. 1897 will allow law-abiding gun owners like msyelf to be able to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park.

The Department of the Interior has refused to seriously consider changing their current regulations to allow citizens the right to self-defense, even though they refuse to guarantee the safety of visitors in National Parks.