• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idiocy of the Highest Caliber

denwego

imported post

I don't know if this be the forum for something like this, but as it's something which damages the public's perception of shooters, it seems appropriate.

My fiancée showed me these pictures of a friend's friend up in a section of unincorporated Utah County, Utah, during a recent day of shooting to let some folks who had never shot a gun before have some fun with shotguns and clay pigeons. After they had gone through the pigeons, they took some "group photos" to "remember the day," and then posted them up on Facebook with captions like It was a f--king massacre!

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

I was so appalled that I had to share this, knowing that someone is going to look at these pictures and have their preconceived anti-gun notions that gun owners are "childlike" and "irresponsible" be confirmed. And what's worse than that is the fact that these people had a genuine interest in learning to shoot, but the person who introduced them to it COMPLETELY ignored every tenet of gun safety I can think of, which has imprinted on them that this is how they should act normally. I mean, POINTING a shotgun at a PERSON for humor is beyond unacceptable, but while still at the range... if there's a situation where someone forgets to unload their gun, this is it, and the three people on the right ALL have their fingers in the guard. That guy on the ground skirted death in my opinion.

OK, I'm done venting my appalled-itude.

unrequited

imported post

You're 100% justified in your thoughts, and I share them. I just can't believe anybody would trust 4 other idiots to point weapons at him. Whoever wasn't the first-time shooter should have known a LOT better than to teach first-time shooters idiotic safeless behavior. All it takes is one of these first-time shooters to act the fool next time they're out, remembering how "safe" it was to horseplay around, and then bang...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

denwego wrote:
I don't know if this be the forum for something like this, but as it's something which damages the public's perception of shooters, it seems appropriate.

..., they took some "group photos" to "remember the day," and then posted them up on Facebook with captions like It was a f--king massacre!

...knowing that someone is going to look at these pictures and have their preconceived anti-gun notions that gun owners are "childlike" and "irresponsible" be confirmed. And what's worse than that is the fact that these people had a genuine interest in learning to shoot, but the person who introduced them to it COMPLETELY ignored every tenet of gun safety I can think of, which has imprinted on them that this is how they should act normally. I mean, POINTING a shotgun at a PERSON for humor is beyond unacceptable, but while still at the range... if there's a situation where someone forgets to unload their gun, this is it, and the three people on the right ALL have their fingers in the guard...

OK, I'm done venting my appalled-itude.

I agree it's totally bad form. It's gun nut kind of form. It's intemperate communication about a very serious subject: guns and gun use. Some people take silly pictures and post them publicly, some people talk boisterously and irresponsibly in a public forumsabout who they will "neutralize," how many times they will shoot a perp, how head shots are preferable to neck shots, how they would try to empty their mag before a shootee hits the ground, etc.

It's all the same. Fodder for the antis. And an unfortunatelynegative reflection on mature and responsible gun owners and carriers, which happens to be the solid majority of us.

P.S. I like the term appalled-itude. :)

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Was the person who let these folks use the guns around when these pictures were taken? If so, I blame he/she more than the kids that took the pictures.

Seems to me if something had happened, it could have been a big liability on his/her part.

Nonetheless, even if this person were not there, these kids should have had more common sense than to do something like this, it is certainly not funny, and is in very poor taste/judgement as well.

What did your fiancee think of these pictures?

Legba

imported post

Yes, this is rifle-butt-to-the-teeth stupid.

-ljp

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I wonder who would be the suspects if the Feller on the Ground would end up dead:shock:...

No words to these Pics....:uhoh:

I AM ASHAMED AT THIS TIME TO COME FROM UTAH:cuss:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
I wonder who would be the suspects if the Feller on the Ground would end up dead:shock:...

No words to these Pics....:uhoh:

I AM ASHAMED AT THIS TIME TO COME FROM UTAH:cuss:

This has nothing to do with Utah. They're just goofs with guns. They're in every state ofthe union.

What those goofs did is so bad, there isnot even a way to blame the MMMers for it somehow. Hmmm, unless...

CrashVector

imported post

My wife's stupid redneck brother went hunting with my cousin and I who had grown up around firearms.

We were walking up the trail when he jabbed me in the butt with the muzzle of his loaded shotgun and started laughing...apparently thinking it was funny to pretend-sodomize someone with a loaded shotgun. I turned, and whacked him in the forehead with the stock of my Remington 1100 hard enough to leave a huge knot above his right eye...followed by "If you EVER make the mistake of doing that again, you better shoot me, because I WILL shoot YOU."

My cousin, upon hearing him hit the ground from me knocking him in the forehead walked over, leaned over him and said "Listen, BOY.....I don't know where YOU grew up, but where I come from, when someone points a gun at one of your relatives on purpose, they usually end up dead."

Needless to say, I have NEVER been near that guy when he had a firearm since...and he was 19 at the time.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

CrashVector wrote:
My wife's stupid redneck brother went hunting with my cousin and I who had grown up around firearms.

We were walking up the trail when he jabbed me in the butt with the muzzle of his loaded shotgun and started laughing...apparently thinking it was funny to pretend-sodomize someone with a loaded shotgun. I turned, and whacked him in the forehead with the stock of my Remington 1100 hard enough to leave a huge knot above his right eye...followed by "If you EVER make the mistake of doing that again, you better shoot me, because I WILL shoot YOU."

Day-um!

Don't blame you a bit.

I can think of several ways to have handled it. Yours was a good one.

echo6tango

imported post

Never point a firearm at something you're not willing to shoot...The basic firearm laws must have changed since my last safety lesson...

CrashVector

imported post

HankT wrote:
CrashVector wrote:

Day-um!

Don't blame you a bit.

I can think of several ways to have handled it. Yours was a good one.

Sadly, this is a completely true story. The butt of a shotgun stock makes one HELL of a knot on one's forehead by the way.

hogleg

imported post

:cuss: I would say all involved have no experience at all with firearms. For someone to take some inexperienced shooters out and promote this kind of behavior is just ....... can't even come up with the words............:cuss:

compmanio365

imported post

I would go so far as to say it doesn't require one to be "experienced" at all with firearms to have common sense enough that you just don't point a gun at anything you don't want to shoot, and they are definately NOT toys, as these idiots here are using them as. Same kind of people who insist on "playing" with knives and fire.......

ChinChin

imported post

IANAL, but what I see when looking at those photos is:

1) Brandishing x4

2) Public endangerment x4

3) ADW x5 (4 shottys and 1 knife) (Not sure about Utah, but in Virginia. . .I beleive pointing a handgun at somebody can result in a ADW charge)

About 15 years combined years in jail and about $100K in combined defense attorney and court costs.