• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

from fox news: dog shoots man

67GT390FB

imported post

Dog Shoots Owner in the Back in Memphis, Tennessee
Wednesday, August 01, 2007
foxnews_story.gif

MyFOXMemphis.com

King George

A Memphis, Tenn., man is in critical condition Wednesday after his dog shot him in the back.[/b]

Police say King George[/b], a 150-pound Great Dane[/b], accidentally knocked a .22-caliber pistol off his owner's end table around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday. The gun went off, hitting his 21-year-old owner in the back, MyFOXMemphis.com reports.

"I knew he was smart, I didn't think he was that smart," the victim's fiancee, Miesha Lucas told MyFOXMemphis.com. "He was always protective. I didn't think he would be like that."(protective of what? her?i think maybe she shot the dude and is blaming the dog)

Police do not plan to file charges in the shooting, which they've ruled as accidental.

But Lucas told MyFOXMemphis.com that she fears what her fiance will do to the pet once he gets out of the hospital.(maybe she's afraidhe'll give the dog to mike vick)

She declined to give out her fiance's name.

The shooting occurred in the Raleigh section of Memphis.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Why would she badmouth her fiancee like that to fox news about not knowing what he will do to the dog when he gets out, he cannot even defend himself right now.

IanB

imported post

I find this story implausible. I don't know of many guns that if knocked off a table will miraculously open fire by themselves. Sounds more like someone was fooling around with a loaded gun and had an "accident". They used the dog as an excuse for their stupidness.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I find this story implausible. I don't know of many guns that if knocked off a table will miraculously open fire by themselves. Sounds more like someone was fooling around with a loaded gun and had an "accident". They used the dog as an excuse for their stupidness.
You are probably correct, the probably of this weapon firing simply my being knocked off of a table is extremely low. They probably were fooling around and accidentally discharged the weapon, blaming their misfortune on the pet.

"I knew he was smart, I didn't think he was that smart," the victim's fiancee, Miesha Lucas told MyFOXMemphis.com. "He was always protective. I didn't think he would be like that."

It seems to me that they were in the middle of a domestic dispute possible when this happened? Which would make the idea of them accidentally discharging the weapon, much more plausible.

67GT390FB

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
THAT'S WHY I POSTED IT HERE. IT WAS JUST TOO RIDICULOUS TO LET SLIDE.

Drake

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

Is it? Most pistols defidently won't fire if you drop them off anything.... but what if its a rimfire and has the same mechanism as a ruger 10/22. I was told that rimfire .22 rifles can fire if you drop them...... maybe this could also.

But yea, this is very odd or someone isn't telling the whole truth.

IanB

imported post

You might be thinking of the Ruger Mark III pistol which had a loaded chamber indicator which indexes off the rim of the .22 shell. Under the old design, if you whacked the chamber indicator with a rubber mallet it would ignite the rimfire cartridge inside the chamber. This still does not produce the proper angle to shoot a man in the back if impacting the chamber indicator (dropped pistol onto floor) is indeed what caused the AD. Also, this AD occurred at 2:30 AM... prime time for drunken silliness.

The newer Mark III's have corrected this problem, and the old onescan be fixed free of charge.

On another note, who keeps a loaded .22 pistol on their nightstand? Would you defend your home with a .22?

AbNo

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
On another note, who keeps a loaded .22 pistol on their nightstand? Would you defend your home with a .22?

If you can't afford anything else...

That being said, yeah, this was either drunks with guns, or idiots fighting.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
If you can't afford anything else...

That being said, yeah, this was either drunks with guns, or idiots fighting.
Hmmm. here's another possibility. Was it a Glock?

AbNo

imported post

Well, short of a conversion kit, Glock doesn't make a .22, for what I can find, so you're just trying to start drama, Hank. :p

(Or, you just plain didn't read the OP)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Well, short of a conversion kit, Glock doesn't make a .22, for what I can find, so you're just trying to start drama, Hank. :p

I was thinking maybeit wasone of thosepre-2003 Glocks with the "flex" problem thatsomeone was complaining about here recently...

Touch the Glock:monkeyMonkey!

zoom6zoom

imported post

It was self defense. Dog was tired of being fed that Chinese dog food. Either that, or it was the cat, and the dog's being framed.

Would you defend your home with a .22?
Sure, if it was the only thing I could reach. My 6" S&W 617 looks like something Dirty Harry would carry if you don't notice the bore....

VAopencarry

imported post

hmmmmm.... maybe you missed the part where it said the man was in CRITICAL condition. .22's can kill. I'd venture 1/2 of all persons that buy a gun for home defense do not know squat about guns. They basically think they are all the same from .22 to .44mag.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
hmmmmm.... maybe you missed the part where it said the man was in CRITICAL condition. .22's can kill. I'd venture 1/2 of all persons that buy a gun for home defense do not know squat about guns. They basically think they are all the same from .22 to .44mag.
If someone breaks into your home, and you put a gun in their face, or wherever you may be...

They are not going to say oh, before I decide if I am going to retreat or not, what caliber is that?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The some of older colt single actions will discharge if dropped on the hammer spur. That would also comport with the angle necessary to be struck by the bullet as the muzzle would be pointed at an upward angle. A two to three foot drop would do it.

There are also some old pre WWII revolvers that can discharge if dropped on the hammer, but you have to hit them reasonable hard as parts have to actually fail before a discharge will occur. A salior was killed in this way in about 1941 and that caused a redisign of the internals on a few S&W and Colt revolvers after that. There are still a lot of the older ones around.

Regards