Thread: 58 days Fredericksburg

Post imported post

It took Fredericksburg 58 days to process my permit application. Now that the wait is over, can someone recommend a good holster for a S&W M&P .40 For concealed 6 o'clock carry?

Post imported post

Why'd you let em take 58 days?

Post imported post

After 45 days they HAVE TO (by law) issue a temporary permit. Can anything be done about this??

Post imported post

Since we are after-the-fact, I don't think there is really any recourse that can be taken. We'll just have to keep an eye on Fredericksburg for any future problems.

Post imported post

Bet it doesn't take that long to show up in FLS.

Post imported post

Many feel small of back carry is not a great idea. If you're knocked on your back, the impact right over your spine can be devastating. There's a reason many police departments don't allow anything hard to be carried right there on the duty belt.

It's also a slower draw. You're covering yourself with your muzzle almost the entire time you're drawing. If someone grabs your arm while you're drawing, you have very little leverage, they can easily control it. If you're seated in a vehicle, not only is it uncomfortable, but damn hard to access.

Just some points to consider.

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Many feel small of back carry is not a great idea. If you're knocked on your back, the impact right over your spine can be devastating. There's a reason many police departments don't allow anything hard to be carried right there on the duty belt.

It's also a slower draw. You're covering yourself with your muzzle almost the entire time you're drawing. If someone grabs your arm while you're drawing, you have very little leverage, they can easily control it. If you're seated in a vehicle, not only is it uncomfortable, but damn hard to access.

zoom6zoom, did you mean to post this in a different thread? It's kind of out of left field!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Second part of OP asked for holster recommendations.
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    Second part of OP asked for holster recommendations.
    Ok, I feel like an idiot. I totally missed that TheFix was asking about a SOB holster, I even reread his post before replying to zoomzoom. I guess I shouldn't be on OCDO when I'm tired!

BTW - TheFix, welcome to OCDO! I don't really have any advice for SOB carry. I always carry strong side at 3:00-4:00.

Post imported post

If you aren't already a member, checkout www.vcdl.org and send them an e-mail regarding the length of processing your permit.

Chances are, you aren't the only one waiting more than 45 days...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

TheFix wrote:
    It took Fredericksburg 58 days to process my permit application.
    58 calendar days ago is June 4? Is that when you filed your paper work? If so, that is less than 45 business days.

I know there has been discussion here as to whether it is 45 calendar day or 45 business days. § 18.2-308 on states "45 days" but doesn't distinguish between calendar and business and doesn't define day. So I presume the code means 45 calendar days and the City of Fredericksburg don't agree with that distinction.
    ---

Post imported post

For a holster you should look at the Blackhawk CQC SERPA.

http://www.gearzoneproducts.com/inde...amp;ProdID=680

If you feel the processing time was longer than it should have been, you might call Dave Nye the police chief. He is a very squared away LEO.

Post imported post

TheFix wrote:
    It took Fredericksburg 58 days to process my permit application. Now that the wait is over, can someone recommend a good holster for a S&W M&P .40 For concealed 6 o'clock carry?

As Oracle stated, the Blackhawk SERPA is great for OC. if they don't specifically list the M&P 40, it's the same as the Glock 20/21 (I have one myself). If you're looking for a good CC holster, I use a Wild Bill's paddle holster. It's slightly angled to swing the grip towards the body to help conceal. When I picked mine up at the gun show I had to tell them that the G20/21 fits the M&P (I think they've added the M&P to their label now).

BTW, welcome!(my first monkey!)

Post imported post

Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies on the holsters I'll check them out.

As for the 58 days, On the 46th dayI went to the clerks office and mentioned the "permit de facto" that they are supposed to issue, I was told they dont issue those.

WellI quoted the code of VA. I was told "if you dont leave now I will type up a denial letter " I was getting very heated because I was under the impression that only the judge could approve or deny my application, I left and decided to read up more on it and I was 1 day short of getting an attorney when my permit arrived in the mail. Frederickburg treats you like a criminal

I mainly open carry but I like the added option of concealing my Handgun at times, not to mention that Its easier in the car to have it holstered, then a flying projectile on my dash.

I joined the VCDL last week havnt herd anything from them yet.

thanks guys

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I wonder if the clerk will argue the mold and courthouse disrepair issues held up your permit process.

It take some time for VCDL to process a new membership. If you joined at a gunshow, it takes at least two weeks for membership app to reach the membership coordinator.

Despite that, you should send this on to VCDL leadership. I would also seek a meeting with Clerk Sharron Mitchell over the blatant disregard for state law and due process around your CHP.
    ---

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

TheFix wrote:

As for the 58 days, On the 46th dayI went to the clerks office and mentioned the "permit de facto" that they are supposed to issue, I was told they dont issue those.

WellI quoted the code of VA. I was told "if you dont leave now I will type up a denial letter " I was getting very heated because I was under the impression that only the judge could approve or deny my application, I left and decided to read up more on it and I was 1 day short of getting an attorney when my permit arrived in the mail. Frederickburg treats you like a criminal

I would have gotten the clerks name and asked to speak to the Clerk of Court personally at that point. It would have been very interesting to receive a "denial letter". For what reason - your asking for the required temporary permit? This is absurd! And beyond her/his authority.
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Even more interesting is what the judge would haveto say if some clerk was usurping his authority.

Yes. Contact VCDL. And, separatelymake a formal complaint.

When weekends and holidays are excluded, I would think the law would say, "business days" or "working days." For example, the VA FOIA uses the words, "...within five working days of receiving a request..." http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+2.2-3704 See the last part of section "B" before the numbered list.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:

You were very rigt about SOB,I carryed once that way with an Uncle Mikes holster, I have since picked up a Blackhawk cqc and im in love with the retention

thanks for the advice