• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman accidentally shoots self during handgun class

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Legba wrote:
My sister-in-law thinks that we're all backwards hillbillies here because our gym teacher in elementary school showed us gun safety films, but I do remember the rules of safety from that early instruction, so I think it's a very good idea, short of actual range/field experience.

-ljp
Due to the climate of political correctness now prevailing in
America:

Kentuckians, Tennesseans and West Virginians will no longer be
referred to as "HILLBILLIES." You must now refer to us as
APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS....:what:...:lol:...:celebrate...:monkey( I just had to throw in Primer)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
This has always been a touchy subject. I OC most of the time, but I do have my CHL here in Ohio.

I also believe in Safety classes for EVERYONE, starting IN Kindergarten and refreshers courses every3 years though 12th grade. Even if you don't own a gun, you should get training on what to do if you come across one.

After high school if you don't own a gun, then it could be up to you. If you want to own a gun then you should take refreshers courses every 5 years if you want to continue to purchase guns. You should also have to qualify with your chosen weapon every 5 years also, for those of us who carry.

I know this doesn't sit well with some, but I don't feel requiring safety training and requlification is to much to ask.

+100

I even feel the same about driving a vehicle if not in all cases in alot of cases ( and I don't mean Beer cases:lol:)

Legba

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Legba wrote:
My sister-in-law thinks that we're all backwards hillbillies here because our gym teacher in elementary school showed us gun safety films, but I do remember the rules of safety from that early instruction, so I think it's a very good idea, short of actual range/field experience.

-ljp
Due to the climate of political correctness now prevailing in
America:

Kentuckians, Tennesseans and West Virginians will no longer be
referred to as "HILLBILLIES." You must now refer to us as
APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS....:what:...:lol:...:celebrate...:monkey( I just had to throw in Primer)

Well, I live at the northern terminus of the piedmont, so I'm no hillbilly, given that a real one wouldn't know what "terminus" or piedmont" means (ahem). ;-/

In the same vein, I'm nolongera "Yankee" - I'm "mint julep challenged."

-ljp

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Perhaps the answer is to require potential gunowners pass a nationally recognized basic firearm safety and familiarization class prior to owning a gun?

You mean everyone should get gun safety training in elementary school, then. Okay.

Nah. Just people buying or getting guns. Something like that.

I'd also propose that some kind of mandatory practice be done by gun carriers.

Mandatory safety training, mandatory range practice. It would be good for everybody.
Oh, I see. More gun control, again. I knew I could count on ya, Hank. Moving right along...
Kind'a like 'sex education' in government schools? So much for 'shall not be infringed.' Hillary'll have it covered in her National Service Academy - for JBT wannabies.

Safety is a good tool for tyrants. No one can be against safety. An NRA approved triple-retention Never Release(tm) holster is much safer than carrying Mexican.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed wher ethey will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

gregma

imported post

HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Perhaps the answer is to require potential gunowners pass a nationally recognized basic firearm safety and familiarization class prior to owning a gun?

You mean everyone should get gun safety training in elementary school, then. Okay.

Mandatory safety training, mandatory range practice. It would be good for everybody.
Making it mandatory I don't agree with.

However, I do agree that every RESPONSIBLE gun owner should take at least one safety class, if not several. That's what the responsible owner does. And the responsible owner has already ensured that all family members have done the same. And the responsible owner has started teaching gun safety from the moment they can walk if not sooner.

gregma

imported post

HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:

Oh, I see. More gun control, again. I knew I could count on ya, Hank. Moving right along...

How is that gun control?
Unless I mis-interpreted your thoughts (which very well could have been), you have stated that unless a person take a mandatory class they can not purchase a firearm.
Unless you do this, you can not do that.

How is that *not* control? Thus, how is that *not* gun control?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

gregma wrote:
HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:

How is that gun control?
Unless I mis-interpreted your thoughts (which very well could have been), you have stated that unless a person take a mandatory class they can not purchase a firearm.
Unless you do this, you can not do that.

How is that *not* control? Thus, how is that *not* gun control?

I see what you mean "Mandatory safety training, mandatory range practice." as stated above is to me a form of Gun Control too.

This was never in the original thoughts of our forefathers. It was more along the lines. "Get your gun and shoot to Protect Yourself"

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:

How is that gun control? Safety issues and compliance do not bump up against 2A.

And if someone has guns, they should shoot them. They should practice. Nothing outrageous, mind you. Maybe once every two months. OK, three. Gun owners who practice are good for society and themselves.

Remember: a right unexercised is a right that gets rusty (and unsafe).

(That reminds me. I have GOT to get to the range this week.)
More brilliant ideas, huh, Hank?

Of course ignorance and insufficient training can be dangerous around guns, and it would be great if all schoolkids got mandatory education in basic gun safety, whether they end up owning guns or not, but REQUIRING all adults to take mandatory (i.e. Government approved) training is sheer idiocy, and like most idiocy, is potentially very dangerous.

Millions of otherwise intelligent and decent human beings have lost their freedoms and/or lives in the last century because of ignorant political choices. You might recall that Hitler was popularly elected.

Since you're such a fan of mandated "training" in order to exercise a civil right, I guess you'd have no problem with "literacy tests" at the polls. You could set up a basic exam that everyone would have to pass every 4 years or so before they could be allowed to vote. After all, bad votes make bad politics. And of course, such a scheme would NEVER be abused by the government, right?

Now, we might need a little "poll tax" to fund this brilliant scheme too.....

Citizens have personal obligations to educate their children and themselves about important things in life; the last thing they need is a central government taking all that over for them!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:

How is that gun control? Safety issues and compliance do not bump up against 2A.

And if someone has guns, they should shoot them. They should practice. Nothing outrageous, mind you. Maybe once every two months. OK, three. Gun owners who practice are good for society and themselves.

Remember: a right unexercised is a right that gets rusty (and unsafe).

(That reminds me. I have GOT to get to the range this week.)
More brilliant ideas, huh, Hank?

Of course ignorance and insufficient training can be dangerous around guns, and it would be great if all schoolkids got mandatory education in basic gun safety, whether they end up owning guns or not, but REQUIRING all adults to take mandatory (i.e. Government approved) training is sheer idiocy, and like most idiocy, is potentially very dangerous.

Millions of otherwise intelligent and decent human beings have lost their freedoms and/or lives in the last century because of ignorant political choices. You might recall that Hitler was popularly elected.

Since you're such a fan of mandated "training" in order to exercise a civil right, I guess you'd have no problem with "literacy tests" at the polls. You could set up a basic exam that everyone would have to pass every 4 years or so before they could be allowed to vote. After all, bad votes make bad politics. And of course, such a scheme would NEVER be abused by the government, right?

Now, we might need a little "poll tax" to fund this brilliant scheme too.....

Citizens have personal obligations to educate their children and themselves about important things in life; the last thing they need is a central government taking all that over for them!
LMAO. U fuuny ( is this what you mean by "literacy tests":lol:?)

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
openryan wrote:
Sitrep wrote:
HankT, I agree that every potential gun owner should take a basic firearms class, beyond that anyone who may potentialy run across a gun should take that class. I think it should just be taught in high school or sooner.
I could see maybe a quiz as to the laws regarding firearms, or their very, very basic operation.

Once you get into classes, well thats a whole different animal.

Well, a quiz, an exam...something. If they miss too many questions--make them carry the gun with less bullets or something.

If they miss too many and flunk the quiz/exam then their gun is taken away and replaced with a safer implement:

096.JPG

You cannot force people to take a course, just to become a firearms owner, however, some type of licensing requirement, maybe passing of a very basic test, kind of like a drivers license.

This wouldn't eliminate straw purchases or really any illegal activity, but it might make people think twice and become just a bit more educated about firearms.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

openryan wrote:
You cannot force people to take a course, just to become a firearms owner, however, some type of licensing requirement, maybe passing of a very basic test, kind of like a drivers license...might make people think twice and become just a bit more educated about firearms.

You mean like 92 y.o. Kathryn Johnson of Atlanta (that got her bag limit of JBT as they kicked in her door)?

Only a tyrant can infringe 'fairly.'

1st freedom

imported post

openryan wrote:
HankT wrote:
Sitrep wrote:
"advanced handgun class"

I think she needs to go back to the beginners class.

Accidents happen, but negligence happens a lot more often.

Negligent discharge. Guns are really, really dangerous. That's why the ROs and trainers andeverybody else is always nagging about it.

That says it all!

This is how you fellers' shoot yer guns in VA? :D

Just to clearify,, Charlestown is in WEST VIRGINIA

UTOC-45-44

imported post

1st freedom wrote:
openryan wrote:
HankT wrote:
Sitrep wrote:
"advanced handgun class"

I think she needs to go back to the beginners class.

Accidents happen, but negligence happens a lot more often.

Negligent discharge. Guns are really, really dangerous. That's why the ROs and trainers andeverybody else is always nagging about it.

That says it all!

This is how you fellers' shoot yer guns in VA? :D

Just to clearify,, Charlestown is in WEST VIRGINIA

VA is VA wether WVA or VA???

I can feel the "Bullets" flying over my head AFTER stating this...:lol:...:celebrate

ijusam

imported post

HankT wrote:

This was not a casual suggestion, it is serious gun control.

• Complete registry of gun owners,
  • When you fail to meet these minimum requirements… what? They take your gun because your no longer safe?
  • Accosted on the street by every officer demanding your proof of last training and qualification score.
  • Loss of your gun when they increase the qualification to unreasonable standards….85% just isn’t good enough, that means 15% are possibly hitting bystanders, so lets increase “In The Name Of SAFETY” to 100% accuracy for qualifications.
  • I have been shooting for 38 years and been at a formal range less than 10 times (not counting military and skeet)
Once you let them mandate training and qualification and you can kiss 2A goodbye[/b]!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

ijusam wrote:
HankT wrote:

This was not a casual suggestion, it is serious gun control.

• Complete registry of gun owners,
  • When you fail to meet these minimum requirements… what? They take your gun because your no longer safe?
  • Accosted on the street by every officer demanding your proof of last training and qualification score.
  • Loss of your gun when they increase the qualification to unreasonable standards….85% just isn’t good enough, that means 15% are possibly hitting bystanders, so lets increase “In The Name Of SAFETY” to 100% accuracy for qualifications.
  • I have been shooting for 38 years and been at a formal range less than 10 times (not counting military and skeet)
Once you let them mandate training and qualification and you can kiss 2A goodbye[/b]!
Well...HankT has made some Great Comments in the Past too:lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

ijusam wrote:

Right on.

All gun control must die.

Even if that means accepting an increase in some risk. I'll take risk + freedom over safety + control any damn day.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
ijusam wrote:
Once you let them mandate training and qualification and you can kiss 2A goodbye!

Right on.

All gun control must die.

Even if that means accepting an increase in some risk. I'll take risk + freedom over safety + control any damn day.
Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But you would be pleased if all laws pertaining to firearms, registration of them, and background checks be repealed?

Even violent felons who have commited homicide in cold blood should be allowed a firearm? Taser -- I could see that being allowed as everyone should have a means to protect themselves. But I think if all of these statutes were to be repealed there would be some serious problems.

Don't get me wrong, I am not happy where we are with control right now, a lot fo the laws pertaining to it are out of date, unreasonable and some just a big waste of money and time, but some of them are not bad ideas.

So Tomahawk, you honestly believe there should be no regulation of firearms whatsoever under any conditions at all?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
This has always been a touchy subject. I OC most of the time, but I do have my CHL here in Ohio.

I also believe in Safety classes for EVERYONE, starting IN Kindergarten and refreshers courses every3 years though 12th grade. Even if you don't own a gun, you should get training on what to do if you come across one.

After high school if you don't own a gun, then it could be up to you. If you want to own a gun then you should take refreshers courses every 5 years if you want to continue to purchase guns. You should also have to qualify with your chosen weapon every 5 years also, for those of us who carry.

I know this doesn't sit well with some, but I don't feel requiring safety training and requlification is to much to ask.

Well, I don't see the need for giving safety classes to EVERYONE. That's beyond the scope of my suggestion. I think the target population for training and safety classes should be, for economic and practial reasons, people who are going to actually own guns and/or carry them.

I really like you idea of refresher courses every 5 years. That's pretty logical. And even more logical is qualifying with a chosen weapon. It's pretty absurd when someone is toting a handgun around and hasn't been to the range or practice in years. That's just incompetence. Qualifying would set a minimum performance standard for a potential very impactful group: gun owners who carry for self-defense.

I don't think it's too much to ask either. It's basic common sense. The expansion of gun ownership has proceeded apace for several decades. It's time to bring up the average level of performance (or potential thereof) of the gun carrying public.

I'd say a good way to do it would be to estabish government certified safety and qualifying regimens and to have private industry adminster the regimens. At some nominal cost. I'd go for that. Maybe free.

Responsible gun carriers shouldn't have much trouble with the idea since it is aimed at getting to that minimum level of competence. Also, it would encourage more shooting by lazy/busy/cheap/uncaring gun owners.

Guns are made to be shot. That's the whole idea. They are weapons. Any soldier or LEO or other weapon using professional knows you have to practice with the dman thing.

We need more shooting. Not less. Qualifying and better safety would accomplish that.