• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No firearms allowed

zookeeperk9

imported post

I have noticed a couple "No Guns" signs come down. Lowe's in Franklin and Value City Department Store in Greenwood removed there signs some time ago. I have a question tho, I know in Indiana no gun signs don't carry much weight but what happens if you carry into a venue that has a pat down or metal detector and your made? I assume they would just deny you entrance and or make a real fuss. Is there a legal problem with getting busted carrying into a Colts game with proper carry permit or similar location?

tattedupboy

imported post

bobcat wrote:
And we know 'bangers and thieves don't care about such trivial inconveniences other than to THANK the proprietors for making their 'job' easier.

The only place I have seen a sign so far is the IRS sub office in Greenwood. The signs went up after a nutjob with a tax problem went in and shot an IRS leach. See paragraphs above.

Silly people.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Check out this youtube video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8

intergalactic

imported post

I have noticed these "no guns allowed" signs showing up around area stores as well. Go check most movie theatres you will find them on the doors there too. I know I have seen them at Regal and United Artist theatres. I also saw them at a store called Tuesday Mornings as well as the already stated Value City.

I was concerned and emailed the State Police division of Firearms and asked them about it. Indiana does not have a law that makes it illegal to carry in places with a no carry sign (except where already prohibited by law), but they do give the right to establishments to say that they prefer that you do not carry there.

So I responded by asking what could come of it if I did carry and was noticed by an employee.

The response was since there is no law prohibiting me from doing so in a place where it is posted (Ohio has a such law allowing places to prohibit guns) the establishment can ask me to leave. If I refuse to leave I can be charged with trespassing.

I enjoy complimenting the store as I leave and telling them that I like the sign in the door that reads please rob me since I do not allow honest people to carry in here and I have no protection against you robbing me!

aikidoka

imported post

This is already probaly known, but the fair grounds in Lake County has a huge sign saying no weapons or firearms as I recall.

darwin-t

imported post

Mounds Mall in Anderson - also both hospitals - Community and St Johns.
I ignore all of them unless I'm having a test or something at a hospital and I'll need to take off my pants.

The courthouse has a metal detector and 2 cops - I couldn't even carry in my small pocket knife - I had to take it back to my car.

My son in law was at the mall some time back and somebody saw his pistol. They grilled him about it, he showed his permit and that was the end of it. I think that was before they put up the sign - it has lots of rules, no weapons is number 2.

ruger1968

imported post

The State Bank of Lizton has signs at all of the branches it says to leave guns in your carand remove your ballcaps so they can serve they customers better.When I do banking their I go to the drive up they dont know if you are carring a weaponor not.I was asked the by a teller that knows me she said you come inside and do business and I said I didnt what to get out of the pickup

Prometheus

imported post

aikidoka wrote:
This is already probaly known, but the fair grounds in Lake County has a huge sign saying no weapons or firearms as I recall.

That sign only carries the effect of state law when the state fair is held. Rest of the year it's basically window dressing. Which is why you won't see a gun show held there during the state fair.

At wolf lake in hammond there is a sign saying no firearms... technically since the park is owned by parks dept which is the city of hammond you cannot carry there at any time since hammond has an ordinance against firearms on all city owned property including parks. Again state law doesn't apply but city ordinance does. Max 2,500 fine, confiscation of firearm (judge has to order return) and max of a couple days in jail. Misdemeanor charge.

aikidoka

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
aikidoka wrote:

That sign only carries the effect of state law when the state fair is held.  Rest of the year it's basically window dressing.  Which is why you won't see a gun show held there during the state fair.

At wolf lake in hammond there is a sign saying no firearms... technically since the park is owned by parks dept which is the city of hammond you cannot carry there at any time since hammond has an ordinance against firearms on all city owned property including parks.  Again state law doesn't apply but city ordinance does.  Max 2,500 fine, confiscation of firearm (judge has to order return) and max of a couple days in jail.  Misdemeanor charge.

Interesting. I guess when I was on a date some years back and legally carrying we could have gone for a walk there. I hesitated when I saw the sign and decided not to. Of course I then had to explain to my date why. oops

Is there a handy reference for what is hammond owned property? I walk around a lot on the weekends and/or ride my bike and when I get licensed again, I'm worried I'll indadvertantly cross some invisible propery line. It's irritating enough that I'll have to go all the way around the schools that are on my various routes to here and there.

Prometheus

imported post

aikidoka wrote:
Is there a handy reference for what is hammond owned property? I walk around a lot on the weekends and/or ride my bike and when I get licensed again, I'm worried I'll indadvertantly cross some invisible propery line. It's irritating enough that I'll have to go all the way around the schools that are on my various routes to here and there.
As a Indiana LTCH holder you're exempt (as well as home owners w/ or w/o license within the 1,000 feet) from the 1,000 foot rule. You can walk by on the street or side walk, but not on school grounds itself. You can carry onto school property with a LTCH provided it stays in your motor vehicle and you have business there, picking up or dropping off kids for example.

I never worry about carry on hammond city property* when I'm concealed. It's a misdemeanor and if it's concealed, whose going to know?

* I don't carry into the hammond city hall, even though only the court room and back enterance have metal detecors. I don't want to be hammond test case for the entire building being considered a "court house" or "jail".

aikidoka

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
aikidoka wrote:
As a Indiana LTCH holder you're exempt (as well as home owners w/ or w/o license within the 1,000 feet) from the 1,000 foot rule.  You can walk by on the street or side walk, but not on school grounds itself.  You can carry onto school property with a LTCH provided it stays in your motor vehicle and you have business there, picking up or dropping off kids for example.

I never worry about carry on hammond city property* when I'm concealed.  It's a misdemeanor and if it's concealed, whose going to know? 

* I don't carry into the hammond city hall, even though only the court room and back enterance have metal detecors.  I don't want to be hammond test case for the entire building being considered a "court house" or "jail".

ah, sidewalk is fine, thanks for that info. So a misdemeanor would not get the license revoked? Yeah, I wouldnt be carrying in the city hall or court room either.

Prometheus

imported post

ikidoka wrote:
ah, sidewalk is fine, thanks for that info. So a misdemeanor would not get the license revoked? Yeah, I wouldnt be carrying in the city hall or court room either.

I can't say for certain if it would get it revoked, but misdemeanors (other than violent) cannot stop the license from being issued... so I'd think they wouldn't revoke it over it either. I think I went over in another post the city vs state vs federal laws differences and seperations.

Basically it's like vilolating an open container ordinance in Highland while driving. You get a fine, the offending item is confiscated and thats it. You cannot lose your State issued License because open containers are not illegal by state law... only by city ordinance and again it's only a misdemeanor.