• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Vancouver, WA

nathan

imported post

Just got back from my first OC ever. Went to the GI Joes on Mill Plain and 128th then the Safeway right by there. No one made any comments although some people did definately notice. I wore a black shirt with a black holster and black SIG 229 so it wasn't super obvious. Maybe next time I'll wear my thigh holster with the silver Taurus PT945. That would stand out from further away.

Nathan

http://www.outdoorstrader.com
free Vancouver/Portland gun friendly classifieds site

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Nathan,

Aside from aesthetics, there are numerous reasons why handguns should be carried in a belt holster rather than a thigh holster in any urban environment.

A thigh holster worn by a non-LEO/military in an urban environment will likely cause a lot more alarm and a lot more man with a gun calls than one just in a belt holster.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Nathan,

Aside from aesthetics, there are numerous reasons why handguns should be carried in a belt holster rather than a thigh holster in any urban environment.

A thigh holster worn by a non-LEO/military in an urban environment will likely cause a lot more alarm and a lot more man with a gun calls than one just in a belt holster.

But it's still OCing, right.

There are NO regulations, Federal, State or Local to tell what kind of Rig a person Carries his/her "Baby" in.

It's just like an Agent from BCI said the other day about OCing. -"There is nothing that states against it but I would not Recommend it."

This is obviously a "recommendation" not to carry in a thigh right just like half of the Population that has a CCW doesnot "recommend" OCing due to "Tactical" correctness in their Opinion.Correct?

Mainsail

imported post

nathan wrote:
Maybe next time I'll wear my thigh holster with the silver Taurus PT945. That would stand out from further away.

I’ve read this a few times hoping that you meant something other than the most obvious. Are you hoping for a confrontation or wanting to show off?

Just go about your business like it’s natural to open carry, you don’t need to hang a sign around your neck that says, “Look at me everybody!”

nathan

imported post

I am not trying to get into a confrontation. If I am not doing anything illegal why should I hide it, or at least feel like i'm hiding it, by wearing black holster against black shirt. I did that because I felt uncomfortable OC'ing for the first time. As I get more comfortablemaybe I will be less concerned with people noticing. All I was saying..

UTOC-45-44

imported post

nathan wrote:
I am not trying to get into a confrontation. If I am not doing anything illegal why should I hide it, or at least feel like i'm hiding it, by wearing black holster against black shirt. I did that because I felt uncomfortable OC'ing for the first time. As I get more comfortablemaybe I will be less concerned with people noticing. All I was saying..

Do what YOU feel comfortable with cuz half the nation feels comfortable by NOT Carrying at all doesn't mean that YOU should NOT feel comfortable to not Carry the Way You want. I would probably looked once but would have smiled and said to myself -"OPEN CARRY is OPEN CARRY, and THAT could NOT have been more OPEN than it is":celebrate.

Don't hide it under the Bushel, instead if the Candlestick why not your leg:lol:

Matthew 5:13-16

"Ye are the salt of the earth; but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let you light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I think the Good Lord talked about OCing even way back then, so it's a issue that's been around for quite awhile:lol:

"Don't hide your Gun, but show it. Be Proud":celebrate

joshmmm

imported post

Carry how you want at your own risk. The law is clear about warranting alarm. Mexican carry (carrying without a holster) has been ruled as warranting alarm--in time so shall thigh rigs.

You will be doing the open carry movement a disservice by carrying on your thigh and you will likely wind up in jail--and later convicted.

nathan

imported post

I have been reading through the threads on this forum starting with the very earliest ones. Lonnie, you appear to have been instumental in helping this movement along and I will follow your advice and stick with the belt holster for now except when I would be wearing the thigh holster anyway, like if I'm going to the woods to shoot. I don't see what the difference is but as I am new to this I will stick with the norm.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone.

Nathan

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

nathan,

I want to make sure that you don't get a tremendous amount of attention from open carrying from a thigh holster. Thigh holster carry in terms of perception is different than belt holster carry.

Again, Utah is not Washington and Arizona is not Washington.

nathan

imported post

Went to Chevys by Vancouver Mall. Carried the silver PT945 in the belt holster with a white shirt. Very obvious to anyone paying any kind of attention. I thought I would possibly be asked to leave at the very least but there were no problems. I know that people noticed since I was there at a very busy time and had to wait 15 minutes for a table and stood around the lobby waiting.

After that, went to the minute mart on chkalov and mcgillivrey to buy some beer. I look young and always get carded but not today.. wonder if the .45 had anything to do with it..

Anyway. I don't know if people think I'm a cop or just don't know what to think but everything has gone smoothly. I will continue to open carry but not post everytime here unless something unusual happens. Can't wait till I randomly see another person OC'ing.. Thanks all,

Nathan

mercutio545

imported post

I carry with my blackhawk thigh rig all the time. What's the big deal? It's easier when driving long distances (doesn't press up against the seatbelt), and I can put an extra mag in the pouch on it.

Nathan, you can carry how you want to carry, but you shouldn't be doing it to show off. If you feel like a thigh rig would benefit you more, then by all means, go for it. It's NOT the method of carrying that would "disservice the open carry movement", it's the mindset.

joshmmm

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I carry with my blackhawk thigh rig all the time. What's the big deal? It's easier when driving long distances (doesn't press up against the seatbelt), and I can put an extra mag in the pouch on it.

Nathan, you can carry how you want to carry, but you shouldn't be doing it to show off. If you feel like a thigh rig would benefit you more, then by all means, go for it. It's NOT the method of carrying that would "disservice the open carry movement", it's the mindset.

Mercutio,

You are in Virginia where the law is much more clear about open carry. In Washington we are subject to a subjective view of "causing or warranting alarm". I would venture a guess that if the court has viewed Mexican carry as warranting alarm (it has) that the court would view a thigh rig in a similar light. just my .02 cents.