• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Vancouver, WA

gregma

imported post

joshmmm wrote:

Mercutio,

I would venture a guess that if the court has viewed Mexican carry as warranting alarm (it has)
Josh, can you point to this case law? Or do you know any specifics? I'd like to read about this one.

joshmmm

imported post

gregma wrote:
joshmmm wrote:

Mercutio,

I would venture a guess that if the court has viewed Mexican carry as warranting alarm (it has)
Josh, can you point to this case law? Or do you know any specifics? I'd like to read about this one.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=654&forum_id=55&highlight=mexican+carry

Look about midway down for a post from Lonnie. I don't remember the case name, and it is not listed on that post, but it is referenced.

The specifics were that a guy was charged with violating a pre-empted local ordinance. The court said in the opinion when they dismissed the charges (local ordininance was pre-empted) that the method and style of the carry, had it been charged correctly with the WA state law, would in fact warrant alarm.

gregma

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
gregma wrote:
joshmmm wrote:

Mercutio,

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=654&forum_id=55&highlight=mexican+carry

Look about midway down for a post from Lonnie. I don't remember the case name, and it is not listed on that post, but it is referenced.

The specifics were that a guy was charged with violating a pre-empted local ordinance. The court said in the opinion when they dismissed the charges (local ordininance was pre-empted) that the method and style of the carry, had it been charged correctly with the WA state law, would in fact warrant alarm.
Found it. The case is against "FishorMan". Court noted that because he was wearing the pistol in his waist band *and* carrying it cocked that it might have raised it to the level of "alarm". MAN we need to get that stupid law repealed!! It's what the cowardly anti-2A'er police will use every single time to justify harassing law-abiding citizens.

Phssthpok

imported post

Carried in Sportsman's Warehouse, and Harbor Freight in Da 'Couve. Nary a peep.:?

1911 45ACP

imported post

I live in Vancouver, WA and want to carry open but the laws are so vague. What have you seen or do you know something the rest of us don’t about oc

I own my own business and every day I have to serve people legal papers, eviction notice, and post a foreclosure notice to there door. So I hope there is some sort of help you can give me and find out the law or lack there of.

John Hardin

imported post

1911 45ACP wrote:
I live in Vancouver, WA and want to carry open but the laws are so vague. What have you seen or do you know something the rest of us don’t about oc

I own my own business and every day I have to serve people legal papers, eviction notice, and post a foreclosure notice to there door. So I hope there is some sort of help you can give me and find out the law or lack there of.
You may want to look at the "Training Bulletins" thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/3357.html

and grab the two wallet pamphlet PDFs I mention there.

The "training bulletins" pamphlet should help with broad understanding, as it reproduces materials used to train various LEOs around the sound area. The other is copies of a bunch of relevant state and federal laws that you should be familiar with if you're going to carry, either openly or concealed.

What it boils down to is: if you're OCing responsibly and not in one of the prohibited areas, the law has no legitimate reason to hassle you. However, you may still be hassled by LEOs who don't understand or know the law.

gregma

imported post

1911 45ACP wrote:

The problem with Open Carry isn't the laws (well, other than 9.41.270 having that stupid "alarm" in it), it's with the beat cop not knowing the laws. And the problem is that quite a few beat cops don't want it's citizens armed and will do whatever they can to try and punish us.
So, what is needed (besides fixing 9.41.270) is education of the police. Unfortunately that means sometimes getting hassled, and even having our rights trampled on temporarily.
Until the time that the police get used to law-abiding citizens carrying weapons very little will change. And they won't get used to it unless we actually do it. And fight them in court when they try to intimidate us with unfounded charges.
Of course in your case, you might need a special permit to carry while on the job such as Armed Security does. So I would check into that first.

gregma

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
1911 45ACP wrote:
However, you may still be hassled by LEOs who don't understand or know the law.
Or by LEOs who don't care about the law...

Adamdude04

imported post

Glad to hear your first OC was a good experince.

Some advice I will point out though, how you represent yourself, will make a HUGE difference on how people will react. Look at my pictures. First one is how I normaly dress, nice. The other, street clothes. Then the third..well hell I'd just run if I seen someone lookin like that!!

But as long as you don't alarm anyone around you, you're fine! I get asked MANY times if I'm a detective, just on how I normaly dress. I always have my firearm in a belt holster, just becasue it's comfortable for me, and my draw time is very quick.

At times I'll go out with my XD all black, and no one notices it, but get a duo tone and people will notice it more becasue it stands out, but depending how you're dressed, people will notice and care, or notice and not care! it's all common sense! I get questioned more times in my street clothes, than I do when dressed up nice. I only wear street clothes if at the park, or doing outdoor activites. Only time I get questions from the public when dressed nice is if I'm a detective, which answer is no. State Trooper if I mention it..sometimes I dont want people to know my career choice

l_d47f2cd664b4961fc2308b2709323378.jpg

l_bbbed3889430b56dd145163a2baa5816.jpg

l_e60b1b54accfb7f4aaba2fad7b3b453f.jpg

Phssthpok

imported post

Added another notch today. Fat Dave's II.

Not a peep from the staff, though I thought one guy was going to fall out of his booth from rubbernecking as I walked by to leave. Subtle this guy was NOT. :lol:

I'm heading out shortly with some friends. Not sure where we're going but I think I'm going to try for Outback Steakhouse. The closest one just HAPPENS to be attached to Wesfield Shoppingtown here in Vancouver.:p

just_a_car

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Added another notch today. Fat Dave's II.

Not a peep from the staff, though I thought one guy was going to fall out of his booth from rubbernecking as I walked by to leave. Subtle this guy was NOT. :lol:

I'm heading out shortly with some friends. Not sure where we're going but I think I'm going to try for Outback Steakhouse. The closest one just HAPPENS to be attached to Wesfield Shoppingtown here in Vancouver.:p
Good luck with that....

...no, seriously, I mean it.

Phssthpok

imported post

Turns out they had a craving for Olive Garden, so that's where we went instead.

Again...not a peep from the staff, but I got a few somwhat covert looks.

just_a_car

imported post

Kewl. Glad to hear nothing too disturbing. I've OC'd twice now (not including the first time at the OC Lunch) without incident. Even got to educate someone on the legality on the second one. :)