• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18-2-308 Bars and Restaurant

DeadCenter

imported post

I have (what I think is) a good question. Although I do not agree with the restaurant / bar ban, I abide by it.

So what we have is

No CC in a

Bar

Restaurant

Club --- Night Club, Dance Club, Sports Bar, and places like the Knight of Columbus (I think)

Question: What if you are at a Nationals Game? They serve beer. What if you go to a show at a Theatre (Like the Paramount Theatre) In C'ville where I think they serve beer and wine. Or a Football game where they serve beer. Can you CC at these venues?

DC

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

probably, yes.

The question you must ask is whether they are a restaurant or club.

Special events and other non-restaurant/club setting are not covered by J3.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TEX1N posted this in the Pfitzner Stadium thread. I think this answers your question.

§ 4.1-100
"Club" means any private nonprofit corporation or association which is the owner, lessee, or occupant of an establishment operated solely for a national, social, patriotic, political, athletic, or other like purpose, but not for pecuniary gain, the advantages of which belong to all of the members. It also means the establishment so operated. A corporation or association shall not lose its status as a club because of the conduct of charitable gaming conducted pursuant to Article 1.1:1 (§ [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]18[/highlight].[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]2[/highlight]-340.15 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]18[/highlight].[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]2[/highlight] in which nonmembers participate frequently or in large numbers, provided that no alcoholic beverages are served or consumed in the room where such charitable gaming is being conducted while such gaming is being conducted and that no alcoholic beverages are made available upon the premises to any person who is neither a member nor a bona fide guest of a member.

"Restaurant" means, for a beer, or wine and beer license or a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, any establishment provided with special space and accommodation, where, in consideration of payment, meals or other foods prepared on the premises are regularly sold.

"Restaurant" means, for a mixed beverage license other than a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, an established place of business (i) where meals with substantial entrees are regularly sold and (ii) which has adequate facilities and sufficient employees for cooking, preparing, and serving such meals for consumption at tables in dining areas on the premises, and includes establishments specializing in full course meals with a single substantial entree.

DeadCenter

imported post

Ok - So I have thought about this and still find myself questioning the code.

No Restaurant ABC licensed -- Got it

No clubs -- They way I read the definition of club is a non profit organization. The K of C or the VFW would fall in this category. I think they are non profit. And are what is described in 14.1-100 NON-PROFIT

If so -- ThenCC is OK in a bar room or a dance club that serves alcohol for profit and does not serve food / meals.

The baseball / football thing I think I get. But, I'm still not sure because they could hold a restaurant license.

It can be confusing

DC

paramedic70002

imported post

DeadCenter
If so -- ThenCC is OK in a bar room or a dance club that serves alcohol for profit and does not serve food / meals
But remember that in VA there are no bars, only restaurants that serve alcohol. Every "bar" is actually a restaurant in disguise.

DeadCenter

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
DeadCenter
If so -- ThenCC is OK in a bar room or a dance club that serves alcohol for profit and does not serve food / meals
But remember that in VA there are no bars, only restaurants that serve alcohol. Every "bar" is actually a restaurant in disguise.

Yes --- I found that out later today from a customer of mine.In other states you will find just bar rooms. -DC

unrequited

imported post

Conaso wrote:
Can't wait until I retire and head from NoVa back to Louisiana.  Bar - no, restaurant - yes, you just can't drink if carrying.  Like it that way.
Something about LA doesn't sit right with me...

New_Orleans_Levee_System.gif

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I have an idea: let's take the dirt Washington DC sits on, which is an absolute waste of earth, and fill up New Orleans.That maystill be wasting the dirt, but at least it wouldn't be as big of a waste. Plus we would get rid of80 percent (estimate, not scientificfact ;)) of the problems in our country by getting rid of DC, so I think it would be a win-win....

jbobmurph

imported post

That's exactly what makes New Orleans so great. On paper it's got crappy schools, high crime, bad streets, corrupt government, high insurance costs, and not exactly the most "gun friendly" politicians, in Orleans Parish anyway(though no one ever points out the fact that Nagin is the opposite of Mike Bloomburg - he's a pro-business Republican who switched to the Democratic Party for political expediency; if you look at his record, especially pre-Katrina, he was about the best a conservative like me could hope for in the Mayor's office).

And oh yeah - that below-sea-level thing (though, for what it's worth, the section bisected by the graphic below doesn't get the higher elevation areas - basically the areas hugging the river from the "A" all the way to the western edge of the map).

And all that being said, I'd still give my left nut to be able to move back. And so would almost anyone who's ever lived there. Find another place, anywhere, that you can say that about.

PS - Another "For What it's Worth" - Louisiana's more than just New Orleans; Conasco never said he was from NO.

unrequited wrote:
Conaso wrote:
Can't wait until I retire and headfrom NoVa back to Louisiana. Bar - no, restaurant - yes, you just can't drink if carrying. Like it that way.

New_Orleans_Levee_System.gif

LEO 229

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Conaso wrote:
Can't wait until I retire and headfrom NoVa back to Louisiana. Bar - no, restaurant - yes, you just can't drink if carrying. Like it that way.
Are you kidding me!!! Is that elevation diagram for real????

There is no way in hell I would live in the bottom of that lake waiting to be made!

The lake is created and my gun safe gets flooded. Then my silica gel is useless and my guns get rusted out!

jbobmurph

imported post

Short answer - yes. Though as I said before, the part of town that was "disected" to get that diagram is low ground.

The parts of the city that were originally settled - the French Quarter, the Faubourg Marigny, and pretty much all of Uptown on the river side of St. Charles - didn't flood. Even during Katrina.

If you visit as a tourist, the hotels you'll stay in and the bars you'll drink in didn't flood.

The city of New Orleans is one of the oldest in the country (the region was settled in 1699, what is currently New Orleans in 1718). Most of the city doesn't flood regularly, as a general rule. Those that don't live there don't/haven't lived there don't know what they're missing.

As I said before, New Orleans is, on paper, one of the most miserable places in the country. There's a reason that the vast majority of the people that can move back have moved back. And it's not because of the high pay or the robust job market (note sarcasm). Find me another place with a holiday, celebrated by EVERYONE in town, dedicated to giving children the time of their lives,sitting in the middle of the street, catching up with friends old and new, drinking, eating (that'd be Mardi Gras, despite what late night ads on cable TV might have you believe. Bourbon street is 6 blocks of debauchery. The average Mardi Gras Parade route is 5 miles or more. Lined by locals, and a few tourists, who want nothing more than a night of family fun).

PS - just keep your guns upstairs - they're more accessible that way anyhow. Even the most heavily flooded areas didn't takewater past the first floor.

LEO 229 wrote:
unrequited wrote:
Conaso wrote:

There is no way in hell I would live in the bottom of that lake waiting to be made!

The lake is created and my gun safe gets flooded. Then my silica gel is useless and my guns get rusted out!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
...SNIP
Are you kidding me!!!  Is that elevation diagram for real????

Well yeah! That is why Katrina caused such a problem. Even when they manage to keep most of the place dry enough to walk around, you still have to bury people above ground, because if you stick a shovel in the ground you hit water.

In fact one of the problems in the aftermath of the hurricane was all the dead bodies that surfaced from cemeteries. They are still trying to match people up with the crypts they floated out of in the flooding.

At this point it would be cheaper for the government to just buy the entire place and move the city inland. But that is not the politically correct answer.

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

jbobmurph wrote:
PS - just keep your guns upstairs - they're more accessible that way anyhow. Even the most heavily flooded areas didn't takewater past the first floor.

I cannot haul that 1800 pound safe up the steps... :D It took three guys 2.5 hours just to bring it in the house on the first floor.

unrequited

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
In fact one of the problems in the aftermath of the hurricane was all the dead bodies that surfaced from cemeteries. They are still trying to match people up with the crypts they floated out of in the flooding.
Seriously that's sad and really sick.

Jokingly... I'm glad I've got my .45 and enough rounds to take on the zombie horde.

Yeah LEO, that's a pretty scary picture, saw it in my newspaper awhile back, and then again on wiki a couple weeks ago.

LEO 229

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Jokingly... I'm glad I've got my .45 and enough rounds to take on the zombie horde.

Yeah LEO, that's a pretty scary picture, saw it in my newspaper awhile back, and then again on wiki a couple weeks ago.
Be sure to carry at least 4 magazines since you do not know how many zombies you may encounter here in Virginia. ;)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

unrequited wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Sorry about that, but I am not kidding and meant no disrespect to the dead or their families. I sometimes forget that people that are not used to this stuff might get a bit squeamish or uncomfortable with the subject. Having to deal with that kind of stuff has desensitized me a bit.

Regards

jbobmurph

imported post

Complete and total falsehood. Despite what some guy in a cape likes to say when he charges tourists $20 to go on a "ghost" tour of a cemetary and/or the Vieux Carre, the above ground crypts exist because of land scarcity, not the water table. They generally only exist in the areas that were developed early on - put simply, with an above ground crypt, you can put an infinite # of deceased in the same space that one person takes up when you bury below the ground.

Amongst other places (and you can tell by glancing at the satellite view on google maps), there's a below ground cemetery at Pitt and Arabella http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...90.115901&spn=0.001213,0.002041&t=k&z=19&om=1

Compare to an above ground one at Washington and Prytania
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...90.085216&spn=0.001213,0.002041&t=k&z=19&om=1

For every above ground cemetary in NO, I can take you to two below ground ones. And actually, the below ground cemeteries tend to be in more newly developed areas (and as I noted in a previous comment, the newly developed areas are at the lowest elevations - the originally developed neighborhoods are actually in many cases at or above sea level).

And there actually wasn't much if any problem with bodies popping up - I remember hearing of one cemetery down in St. Bernard where a few newly buried (note I said buried, as in below ground, not interred, as in above ground) bodies popped up. Plus one or two in Mississippi. Certainly not a large scale problem.

Hawkflyer wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
...SNIP

Well yeah! That is why Katrina caused such a problem. Even when they manage to keep most of the place dry enough to walk around, you still have to bury people above ground, because if you stick a shovel in the ground you hit water.

At this point it would be cheaper for the government to just buy the entire place and move the city inland. But that is not the politically correct answer.

Regards