• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newspaper Options for CCDW Application

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Are there any othernews papersin New Castle County to fulfill the notice requirement for CCDW OTHER than the News Journal? $73 seems a bit steep for a single day ad.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Doesn't the requirement state something about being seen/circulated to a certain percentage of people? Meaning it pretty much has to be in the News Journal. I don't know of any other DE newspapers that reach enough of the population.

It still really bugs me that we have to make something called a CONCEALED permit PUBLIC.

:cuss:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ever consider renting a billboard? Do you have to list your address too? :cuss:

Oh how times have changed since 1776. I hope that you are organized and fighting back.

Yata hey

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Rereading the statute:
The Prothonotary of the county in which any applicant for a license files the same shall cause notice of every such application to be published once, at least 10 days before the next term of the Superior Court. The publication shall be made in a newspaper of general circulation published in the county. In making such publication it shall be sufficient for the Prothonotary to do the same as a list in alphabetical form stating therein simply the name and residence of each applicant respectively.
So, it must specifically be a newspaper -- the ads basically say, "I, your name, residing at (address), do intend to file application for a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon."

We have a fairly anti governor (democrat), though to her credit, she did sign into law a bill that prevents guns being taken from citizens in time of emergencies (ala Katrina/New Orleans) and another that allows the use of some pistols for hunting in lieu of rifles.

But, until we get a party change, I think we'll be stuck in a rutt in terms of gun law.

gotarheels03

imported post

Wynder wrote:
35% circulation in your zip code, I believe. The News Journal is pretty much the only rag in town it seems. :(
And it IS a rag isn't it? In my highschool days I wrote for the school newspaper, and we used to use The News Journal as an example of how NOT to do things. It's horribly written.

Unfortunately in DE even the Republicans arent particularly gun-friendly. Heck, look at Mike Castle.....

Boston T. Party

imported post

When I applied6 years ago, I tried to use the 'Community News' paper/thing/fishwrapper that gets thrown in your driveway every week. The communist bitch who answered the phone that day told me NO!

Not to be dissuaded, I contacted the owner (after reverting to using the News Journal, that liberal fishwrapper) and he said that they would certainly qualify and he sent that bitch out back to be executed......well...maybe not.

But, yes, I think you can use them.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Wynder wrote:
Are there any othernews papersin New Castle County to fulfill the notice requirement for CCDW OTHER than the News Journal? $73 seems a bit steep for a single day ad.
OUCH! Thats horrible that you have to notify people! I hope you guys get some relief up there...

stephpd

imported post

It kills me that they also put you address in the paper. Best part about it was that it's onl in the paper for 1 day. Most people skip over the public notice section. Nobody at work even noticed it and I used them as references.:cool: