• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GLOCK 31

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I am looking to pick up a new firearm, Particularly .357 or .40, as I think .357 is my favorite caliber, I like the Glock 31.

Anyone use - fire this gun? I would appreciate some input, or if you think someone else makes a better .357 cheaper, I am looking at S&W's as I am partial to them, but would like to expand my marquee of weapons.

EDIT: BTW- I was at the gas station this morning and I was oc'ing my Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm SW9VE two toned, silver and black, and some guy asked me if it was a Glock, did glock ever make two toned weapons?

sccrref

imported post

openryan wrote:
I am looking to pick up a new firearm, Particularly .357 or .40, as I think .357 is my favorite caliber, I like the Glock 31.

Anyone use - fire this gun? I would appreciate some input, or if you think someone else makes a better .357 cheaper, I am looking at S&W's as I am partial to them, but would like to expand my marquee of weapons.

EDIT: BTW- I was at the gas station this morning and I was oc'ing my Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm SW9VE two toned, silver and black, and some guy asked me if it was a Glock, did glock ever make two toned weapons?
I was looking at the .357 models of the Glocks until I inquired about the price of the ammo and the fact that not everyone carries it. About $24 for a box of 50.When I get richer I think I will revisit them. I am sure you could find some a bit cheaper but as much as I like to shoot I think I would go broke. I am looking at a .40 cal pistol. Am looking at the Barretta Storm and the Glocks. The ammo is about the same as my .45 and Dick's Sporting Goods often has 20-30% off when you buy it by the case.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I really like 10mm, however I like the ballistics of .357 :) better.

I was unaware that costs could go that high with .357 I have seen it at local gun shows for about 16 bucks for 50 rounds, new too, and this was only months ago at the Crown Point firearms show.

I haven't really checked into the XD's. I would like to shoot one, but nobody around here rents them. And I don't have a single friend who owns a firearm.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
They did and still do...I don't think they made/make any with "bright" finnish though....just black, OD green, and a tan (not sure of the "proper" color name).

glocknroll

imported post

I have a Glock 32 (compact .357 SIG). I like it a lot. The ammo is a little expensive, but I probably just feel that way cuz I got spoiled shooting 9mm in my Glock 17. I used to carry .357 Magnum revolvers a lot, so I like the ballistics of the .357 SIG. If you want to shoot .40, all you have to do is switch barrels. The .357 SIG round is just the .40 S&W necked down to 9mm (.355). It isn't a true .357, but what's 2 thousands of an inch anyway? By changing barrels you can switch calibers and use the same magazines. New factory barrels are about $120 (topglock.com, thegunsource.com,glockstore.com). My brother carries a G23 (.40), and he and I can trade barrels and shoot the other's caliber. We both plan to buy new barrels so we can switch calibers at will.

glocknroll

imported post

As far as ammo prices, you can find good deals online (www.ammunitiontogo.com,www.sportsman'sguide.com,www.cheaperthandirt.com), or at gun shows. Georgia Arms makes a load with a 125 grain Gold Dot loaded in Starline brass at 1400 ft. per second. Guaranteed to ruin a bad guy's day. They sell it for 16.50 for 50 rounds. S&B has a FMJ flat point 140 grain load at about 1350 ft per second.Will penetrate a car door, 2x4/sheetrock wall (or 3), and probably a bear's skull. Sportsmans Guide, among other's, carries it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
no factory SS/Black or vice versa but he probably saw Will Smith's gun in "Bad Boys" he carried a SS or chromed slide Glock

Have you lookedat a Springfield XD?

I find the grip more comfortable than Glocknow if they just chambered one in 10mm.:celebrateI'd retire my G20.

I was able to do a comparison at the range today of my 10mm Dan Wesson 1911 frame and my G20. Overall, the DW was easier to shoot and the grip was way more comfortable. The G20 is just a bit to wide for me though I was able to shoot well with it.

10mm is fine caliber for self-defense.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I really like .357 and 9mm as well as 10mm for self defense, however I am not as big a fan of the .40 and .45.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
http://www.doubletapammo.com have you checked out DTA?

It breaths new life into some calibers compare for yourself.

They useGold Dot bullets which are known for their expansion
I don't see any 9mm, only 9mm+p, my manuals says my sigma is not rated for +p, although I don't think it would do anything significant, I don't think +p in the way of 9mm makes the world of difference some seem to think.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Glock makes two-tone weapons.

I have a G19 with an OD green 'receiver' (or whatever the bottom half is called).

You can also get stainless slides:

http://www.caspianarms.com/Images/Glock_Proto.jpg

I wouldn't berate people too much for not knowing a specific make and model of firearm. Remember that most people 'know' about firearms from what they see on television.

I would berate people for calling things 'assault weapons' or 'high capacity clips'. But that's not berating them for not knowing every model of weapon in existence....

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
learn something new everyday.

i didn't know sigmas' weren't rated for +p ammo
Me either until I read the manual :(

I think its probably a CYA, but I am not going to try it, with the right 9mm ammunition without +p, it can be acceptable for self-defense, my opinion.