• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moscow's at it again... help us!

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

According to the local radio station in Boise (670 KBOI), the City of Moscow's Mayor is trying to get around State Pre-emption law to ban firearms on city property and maybe other public places in response to the recent killing of a City Police Officer by a deranged individual several months ago. She's contacted the State Attorney General's office, to see if she can get around the state pre-emption we have in Idaho. I just called, but got the answering machine.
Call 'em and talk some sense into them... politely, and articulately helps!

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Moscow Mayor
Nancy Chancey
[/font] 206 E. Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
(208) 883-7021

Also contact Attorney General Lawrence Wasden, Idaho's AG at (208) 334-2400. Encourage him to uphold state law![font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font]

devldogs55

imported post

I've already contacted both the AG and Mrs. Mayor. I'm confident that the AG will do what is right. And the mayor had better kiss her career goodbye. Moscow is a liberal mecca in Idaho, but it's still Idaho.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Hey, instead of that, they should do something really radical like making murder against the law. Yah, that will do it.

LoveMyCountry

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Patriot,

I agree with you and also think we have little to nothing to worry about, but I've seen far too many "clear cut" issues fall by the wayside because we didn't speak out in our country's history.

I know the law is on our side, but I've seen crazier things done (Colorado isn't as clear cut, but they've battled that one out for years)... and it isn't just that Moscow's Mayor is pushing to "test" the waters, but the when I spoke with Moscow's city attorney, he let slip that there were "a lot" of other cities looking to restrict firearm carry in Idaho as well. Throughout the conversation, a VERY straightforward attorney, didn't dodge questions or play semantics... for once.

If we can nip this in the bud through a figurative "show of force", then hopefully we can keep them from even considering trying to push a problematic bill later.

G27

imported post

I visit my girlfriend at WSU quite often. I like going to Idaho and spending my money there just on the fact they are so gun friendly. Let me know what i can do to keep my neighbor state as friendly as it has been in the past! If Idaho, which is by far one of the most gun friendly states in the Union, falls like the rest who knows what is next? Complusary registration of firearms!?!? :cry:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Mayor Chaney wants to prevent good people from coming to the rescue of others who are being attacked and killed.

See e.g., http://johnrlott.tripod.com/2005/02/concealed-handgum-permit-holders.html

Concealed handgum permit holder's intervention in Texas shooting may have saved lives
SNIP

TYLER, Texas - A 52-year-old manufacturing plant employee, credited with saving another man's life by jumping into the middle of a fierce firefight on a Texas downtown square, was known for taking life "head-on." Friends weren't surprised to hear that Mark Wilson sacrificed his own life byconfronting a gunman firing an AK-47 assault-style rifle Thursday in Tyler, Texas. . . .

"Based on what we can tell, Mr. Wilson may have saved the younger Arroyo's life," Tyler Police Chief Gary Swindle said. Swindle told The Associated Pressthat Wilson may have hit the gunman, but that his rounds did not penetrate the man's body armor.
--

Now compare article at http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_ID_Moscow_Shooting.html

SNIP

Mayor Nancy Chaney has asked for a legal opinion from the state attorney general's office on whether the city has the authority to ban both concealed and exposed weapons in such public areas.

The request, made in mid-July, comes after Jason Hamilton, late on May 19, killed his wife at their home before driving to the courthouse and firing some 200 gunshots into a sheriff's dispatch center. There he killed one law enforcement officer and wounded two others, as well as wounding a good Samaritan who armed himself and ran to help.

Hamilton then went to the nearby First Presbyterian Church, fatally shooting a caretaker. Hamilton fired as many as 80 rounds inside the church before taking his own life.

"Most of the time our town is very tranquil," City Councilman Bill Lambert told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "I've lived here 30 years and this year by far has been our most violent since I've been here. I think there is probably some nervousness about that, of course."

Chaney said the shooting at the courthouse made her concerned about how vulnerable people might be at public meetings. She said she was also concerned about armed citizens who might be inclined to "swoop in to protect people" in situations that police should deal with.

"We don't want to tread on anyone's Second Amendment rights," Chaney told the Lewiston Tribune. "We want to find out what is within our legal prerogative."

Currently, anyone attending a City Council meeting can openly bring a rifle, shotgun or handgun, said Gary Riedner, city supervisor.

"Unless there's authority to restrict it, under state law you can carry an exposed gun," Riedner said.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
Mayor Nancy Chaney has asked for a legal opinion from the state attorney general's office on whether the city has the authority to ban both concealed and exposed weapons in such public areas.

The request, made in mid-July, comes after Jason Hamilton, late on May 19, killed his wife at their home before driving to the courthouse and firing some 200 gunshots into a sheriff's dispatch center. There he killed one law enforcement officer and wounded two others, as well as wounding a good Samaritan who armed himself and ran to help.

Hamilton then went to the nearby First Presbyterian Church, fatally shooting a caretaker. Hamilton fired as many as 80 rounds inside the church before taking his own life.
[sarcasm] I fully support Mayor Chaney. If these gun bans had been in place, this deranged individual would have been unable to bring his gun into these public places. Of course, there is no magical gun barrier, but if these laws were in place, we could have had metal detectors on every street corner. [/sarcasm]

No law will ever stop a determined individual from doing illegal things. You can ban gun ownership completely, and the criminals will still have them. Is Mayor Chaney really that stupid?

sccrref

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Mike wrote:

(snip) No law will ever stop a determined individual from doing illegal things. You can ban gun ownership completely, and the criminals will still have them. Is Mayor Chaney really that stupid?(snip)
IMHO we will just have more criminals as I for one will not give my guns up.The pure stupidity of some people still amazes me to this day.:banghead:

devldogs55

imported post

I have written to everyone I can think of, and called the offices of the same people. It may not do much, but I am tired of these things happening because we won't step up.

Please do what you can to stop this, and write your officials. www.congress.org makes it VERY EASY!

Allen

imported post

IIRC there was a tragic case from several years ago. A Boise teen broke into his dads gun case (Glass & Wood display case) and stole a pistol. The upshot was that he killed his friend with it because he never checked to see if it was loaded.

The upshot was that the mom of the friend was ranting about gun control in Idaho and how the Legislature always turns a blind eye to gun control, as if "guns are sacrosanct" in our State.

Since that time, we have had a large influx of Californians moving into our State. To be fair, it's not just the liberal CA people. They seem to be coming here from many different liberal States. With them, they bring their liberal baggage. Why they escape from their hell-hole and then immediately want to restructure Idaho to be the same, I'll never know.

But that's what we are fighting. If we don't send the AG and the Legislature a strong message, we could conceivably see it happen here.

patrioticrick

imported post

I was part of that influx from California about 8 years ago, because of the laws here. I wanted my right to carry a firearm without restictions like they have in California.

devldogs55

imported post

We are going to need to speak out strong and quick if we want to keep those rights. We can't be one of those guys that sits back and watches other gunowners do the work for us. If that happens, it's only a matter of time before we've got mayors all over Idaho breaking the law.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Allen wrote:
Since that time, we have had a large influx of Californians moving into our State. To be fair, it's not just the liberal CA people. They seem to be coming here from many different liberal States. With them, they bring their liberal baggage. Why they escape from their hell-hole and then immediately want to restructure Idaho to be the same, I'll never know.

People like to quote Heinlein here, so this might be OK. Just happened to be reading this book last week...

Selection from Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles (1950)

"2004-05: The Naming of Names"

They came to the strange blue lands and put their name upon the lands. Here was Hinkston Creek and Lustig Corners and Black River and Driscoll Forest and Peregrine Mountain and Wilder Town, all the names of people and the things that the people did. Here was the place where Martians killed the first Earth Men, and it was Red Town and had to do with blood. And here where the second expedition was destroyed, and it was named Second Try, and each of the other places where the rocket men had set down their fiery cauldrons to burn the land, the names were left like cinders, and of course there was a Spender Hill and a Nathaniel York Town....

The old Martian names were names of water and air and hills. They were the names of snows that emptied south in stone canals to fill the empty seas. And the names of sealed and buried sorcerers and towers and obelisks. And the rockets struck at the names like hammers, breaking away the marble into shale, shattering the crockery milestones that names the old towns, in the rubble of which great pylons were plunged with new names: IRON TOWN, STEEL TOWN, ALUMINUM CITY, ELECTRIC VILLAGE, CORN TOWN, GRAIN VILLA, DETROIT II, all the mechanical names and the metal names from Earth.

And after everything was pinned down and neat and in its place, when everything was safe and certain, when the towns were well enough fixed and the loneliness was at a minimum, then the sophisticates came in from Earth. They came on parties and vacations, on little shopping trips for trinkets and photographs and the "atmosphere"; they came to study and apply sociological laws; they came with stars and badges and rules and regulations, bringing some of the red tape that had crawled across Earth like an alien weed, and letting it grow on Mars wherever it could take root. They began to plan people's lives and libraries; they began to instruct and push about the very people who had come to Mars to get away from being instructed and ruled and pushed about.

And it was inevitable that some of these people pushed back....

devldogs55

imported post

I speak to the Sheriff on occasion, and he is a very good man. I am a student at a university in the county that Sheriff Rausch is workin in. He has given me advice about ccw on campus, and it was good advice. "Concealed is concealed."

devldogs55

imported post

Yup... just as he should have, the Atty General has advised Mayor Chaney that she is a dumbass and when the state law says that a city can't restrict firearms by making laws... she can't restrict firearms by making a law.

Good to go

JB

imported post

Thanks for bringing me up to speed. I'll be transferring up there in January and look forward to joining the OC crowd.