• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fellow OCer hassled in Sam's Club in J-ville

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

I came into work today and one of my fellow Marine Cpls. also an OCer had a little story to tell me about a recent trip into Sams Club.

He had walked though the "Sams Club card checker" and did his shopping without an incident.

As he was checking out he was approached by a man and asked:

"State Employee":"why are you carring that gun?!?"

Danny:"It's legal in NC to open carry."

State Employee:"No it's not I work for the state and I can tell you for sure that it's illegal to open carry that gun."

Danny:"Yes Sir it is by the state constituion and NC Supreme Court decisions."

State Employee:"Well I say it's not you need to take it off."

Danny refused and the man walked away to the lady that checks you receipts as you walk out of the store and talked to her pointing at Danny and whatnot. After he's done talking to the lady he walks out and leaves.

As Danny leaves the lady at the door tells him he can't have that on like that because it's against the law. Once again Danny informs her that it is perfectly legal in the state. She stands there for a second then tells him he can't carry like that in this store. He said "Okay" and walked out with his goods.

Today when I came to work he relayed the story to myself then I am now relaying it to you.

I guess it's time for another phone call to Corporate.:?

The "state employee" never told Danny what agency he worked for or if he was a State Officer or what. He just kept throwing the "state employee" line out there. I told him I would dig up some more info for him and call Corporate for him and find out more. Hell I still have my Sam's Club Card so I guess it's time to go "Shopping".:p

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hmmm, if it's illegal why didn't they call the police? :banghead:

Also, if the receipt checker isn't the manager, does her "your not allowed to carry" statement carry any weight?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

State employee...?
So?
What, does he work for the DMV? LOL

I think I would have lauged at him, and then asked for his ID or name and dept. so I knew who to report him to for harassing people.
Although, if he ordered me to take my gun off like that I think I would be tempted to ask him to take a hike before I call 911. People like this are unpredictable and need to put you on condition red. He could decide to physically intervene any second. This is one reason I carry pepper spray. Psychos like him.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

He may have been a "Toll Taker" that came up short that day. He just wanted to throw his weight around a little because he couldn't get into the state police.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah so I wandered into that same Sam's Club a few days ago to pick up some mini-fridges for my g/f's office. I had the smith SW99 .40 on my hip. I took a good long look around the front door to make sure there were no signs...I didn't find any.

Long story short, I was approached about 10 minutes into my visit, and was told that there was a sign outside prohibiting firearms and the manager was on the way. I wandered up front to see about the sign, and then they admitted there wasn't one...they just THOUGHT there was. I had a brief conversation with the female manager, during which she told me that the Sheriff told her that I could lose my permit for carrying in a place the sells alcohol. I told her I didn't have a permit...she about choked.

Anyway I tried to explain state law a little bit, and even tried to talk to her about WHY the store was enacting that policy...she was all mouth and no ears. I asked if she'd feel better if I went out to my car, since she had yet to actually TELL me to leave or stay. She said yes, and I wandered out long enough to go concealed and walk right back in.

Once we were done, and the g/f was throwing stuff in the car, I took the time to go back to my trunk and re-holster back to my hip. The cart guy that had originally told me about the sign watched me, and quickly made his way back inside. I'm really getting fed up with these people........or should I say sheeple...:banghead:

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Well, I mean, YOU HAVE A GUN!!!!!!!
Isn't that automatic confirmation that you are a criminal?
Oh, wait..... Or is it.. that only if you wear your gun VISIBLY that you are a criminal... I think that's what some of the CA boys were trying to imply on here earlier tonight in the Condition3 thread :D :D :D

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, I know, I was reading about that. Every one of the people in there seemed just plain stupid. The initial conversation started like this...

Officer? huh? umm uh Officer? ...Why, is there a problem? Well um uh...yeah, that...

Then there was the managers point that "well this is a private establishment, and our customers pay to shop here." to which I responded "yeah, so did I..." I got a dumb look from her on that one....

I swear the next time someone questions me about my gun, I'm gonna look at them and say "listen, do I look dangerous? No no no not the gun, ME, THIS GUY. What about ME as a PERSON appears dangerous, scary, or criminal? Is it my hair cut? Is it because I'm white?? You seem like a nice person, I would normally think you and I could get along. I don't have a problem with you...so what's your problem with ME?? Leave the gun out of this...it's just as important as the shoes I'm wearing. I could probably hurt someone pretty bad if I kicked 'em with these shoes on..why not ask me about them?? That guy over there looks big enough to crush you with one swing...why didn't you question his muscles when he walked in? Don't you think he should have left his arms outside???" UGH!

EDIT: ok not really but it was nice to vent :)