• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carjacking turns into shoot out [Good Guy wins]

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.newsdaily.com/TopNews/UPI-1-20070802-16373600-bc-us-carjack.xml
wrote:

MIRAMAR, Fla., Aug. 2 (UPI) -- Police in Miramar, Fla., say an attempted carjacking turned into a shoot out when the would-be victim brandished a firearm.

Police said Bruce Allen Williams, 57, pulled his truck up to an ATM at 5:30 a.m. Thursday morning and was approached by two men who exited a small brown car, WFOR-TV, Miami, reported.

Williams complied when the two men demanded he get out of his truck and hand over his keys, but he drew his weapon after one of the attempted carjackers fired at him.

Williams was not hurt in the exchange, but police said one of the suspects suffered a gunshot wound.

Police said they are searching for two men and the driver of the small brown car, who fled on foot.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

"Brandished," and "drew his weapon," but not 'shot and hit.' Dog nabbed MSM can't admit it when the Good Guys win one.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

This account is better:

Good man, Williams.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Miramar police hunt shot carjacking suspect
By Macollvie Jean-Francois

Sun-Sentinel.com

3:28 PM EDT, August 2, 2007

MIRAMAR --

Police are searching area hospitals for a man they say was shot when he tried to steal someone's truck Thursday morning.

The man, described in his early 20s, was shot by Bruce Allen Williams, of Opa-locka, after the man fired at Williams and tried to drive away in Williams' truck outside a Wachovia bank, 6810 Miramar Parkway, at about 5:30 a.m., police said.

Williams, 57, had just withdrawn money from the bank's ATM and gotten into his white Lincoln Mark LT truck when two men got out of a brown Toyota or Honda and rushed him, police spokesman Bill Robertson said.

One of the men pointed a gun at Williams and ordered him out of the truck. Williams got out, but the truck was in drive and continued moving forward. A suspect jumped into the truck and shot at Williams, but Williams pulled out his own .44-caliber revolver and fired five shots at the man, Robertson said.

The man, dripping blood, and his partner fled on foot northbound on SW 68th Avenue, and it's believed another man in the brown car picked them up.

Police used a helicopter and police dogs, but were unable to track the men.

Williams was not hurt. Robertson said the men wanted the truck, not the money.

"I'm at a real low right now," Williams said as he sat and smoked a cigarette outside the bank Thursday morning. He refused to comment further.

Williams has a permit to carry his gun, Robertson said.

The wounded suspect was described as about 5-foot-6, weighing about 120 pounds and wearing a brown shirt and dark pants. His partner was about 5-foot-8, 160 pounds, wearing a white shirt and having a short afro and goutee.

There was no description available for the driver of the getaway car.

sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-802carjacking,0,7530088.story

Lew

imported post

In other news, Wachovia has announced it will no longer allow firearms at its ATMs.

unrequited

imported post

Lew wrote:
In other news, Wachovia has announced it will no longer allow firearms at its ATMs. 
They're notoriously known for being anti-gun right? I wouldn't be surprised if the victim wasn't dropped by his bank just so they could get some distance.

Anubis

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.newsdaily.com/TopNews/UPI-1-20070802-16373600-bc-us-carjack.xml
wrote:

"Brandished," and "drew his weapon," but not 'shot and hit.' Dog nabbed MSM can't admit it when the Good Guys win one.
Facts stated were

(1) car jacker fired at him

(2) he drew his weapon

(3) police said one of the suspects suffered a gunshot wound

That the police said something is a fact, but what the police said may have differed from reality. I can think of dozens of different scenarios to fit these few facts. Maybe the driver did shoot a carjacker (my favorite), but maybe one of the carjackers shot his pal, or maybe the reporter originally wrote "driver brutally over-reactedto the misguided actions of socially disadvantaged street people" and his editor thought that was going too far to the left.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Is Wachovia anti-gun? I haven't noticed any anti-gun signs at my local branch.

The branches where I live have a little gun in a circle with a line through it on the door (either on the metal part of the door or on the glass in blue color). In VA, you can CC (signs carry no weight). If you are noticed carrying inside, and, you are asked to leave, you must leave. If you do not, you can be cited for trespassing (not a gun charge). I always go through the drive-through with my gun on the dashboard.

2nd Amendment........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X

~*'Phoenix'*~

My wachovias (broward county FL) have the little "no guns" signs. Right now, since I can't carry most of the time anyway, because of Florida's current... disagreeable laws... concerning campus carry... it doesn't really affect me. But I think I'll be calling/writing/meeting their managers or regional director etc to get this fixed, once FL has more sensible laws soon...

Rich7553

My wachovias (broward county FL) have the little "no guns" signs. Right now, since I can't carry most of the time anyway, because of Florida's current... disagreeable laws... concerning campus carry... it doesn't really affect me. But I think I'll be calling/writing/meeting their managers or regional director etc to get this fixed, once FL has more sensible laws soon...

Did you realize this thread is over three years old? Gotta be a record!

~*'Phoenix'*~

Then it's pretty sad Wachovia still has signs up against legal firearms after knowing for 3 years that one saved one of their customer's lives ;)

Rich7553

Thought you were discouraging thread necro

Not necessarily discouraging it, but it's possible that the original poster(s) are long gone. I'd have reviewed the post for salient info, but started a fresh thread on the same or similar topic.