• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stupid Anti-Gun Shirt

markheck1

imported post

I didn;t know where to put this, but I HAD to say something. I know it's not about open carry, but guns in general.

Some dude came into the store today wearing one of the dumbest shirts I have ever seen. It said "this is your brain on GUNS" and had a cartoon picture of a loser looking guy with a HUGE hole in the middle of his head, not a blown hole mind you, but a cartoonish one perfectly round, no blood or anything. Some people just don't get it do they? :cuss:Sometimes I wish I could be myself rather than the representative of our company

Anyway this really isn't on topic, feel free to move/edit/delete as need

Edited to correct drugs to Guns DOH! :banghead: guess I was just used to the old commercial, and my fingers got away from me for a few

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Am I missing something, or does the shirt mean that when you take drugs it kills brain cells,andyou becomeas if youhave no brain. I am not seeing anything aboutthe shirtthat has anything to do with guns.... But maybe I'm the one without the brain? :uhoh:

ChinChin

imported post

I'm not seeing the connection to any anti-gun message based upon the details you provided. You couldn’t also make the argument that the shirt was anti-gang, or anti-drugs, or anti-pharmaceuticals.

Could you have misinterpreted what the shirt was telling you? ;)

Legba

imported post

Well, I just came into possession of a very cool, verypro-gun French Foreign Legion sniper t-shirt, so bring it on, antis...

-ljp

Legba

imported post

Yep the French Foreign Legion - they're principally non-French, hence the foreign designation,and they are some bad-ass-muthas.

-ljp

unrequited

imported post

Curious, the French Foreign Legion have this as part of their Code of Honor":

"In combat, you will act without passion and without hate, you will respect the vanquished enemy, you will never abandon your dead or wounded, nor surrender your arms."

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

markheck1 wrote:
I didn;t know where to put this, but I HAD to say something. I know it's not about open carry, but guns in general.

Some dude came into the store today wearing one of the dumbest shirts I have ever seen. It said "this is your brain on GUNS" and had a cartoon picture of a loser looking guy with a HUGE hole in the middle of his head, not a blown hole mind you, but a cartoonish one perfectly round, no blood or anything. Some people just don't get it do they? :cuss:Sometimes I wish I could be myself rather than the representative of our company

Anyway this really isn't on topic, feel free to move/edit/delete as need

Edited to correct drugs to Guns DOH! :banghead: guess I was just used to the old commercial, and my fingers got away from me for a few
The original commercial, or the first time I heard this slogan used was the "this is your brain on DRUGS", and it had those two eggs frying in a pan, which wasn't such a horrible analogy, as if you use drugs, you will almost certianly be damaging your brain to a point, of course depending on the drug, and it length/amount of use/dose.

However "This is your brain on GUNS", does not make a whole lot of since to me, what I take from it is this, if you apply it in the same way that the former was applied.

If you own or handle a firearm, you will end up hurting someone, or shoot yourself, others in the head.

Drugs do not hurt anyone themselves, the user has to phyically deliver them into their body.

The same goes for firearms, they do not simply kill people, in fact they are a staple of self-defense from criminals, and the people that qualify in my first paragraph.

Sure guns can cause harm, but they do not do so idly. For a gun to cause harm it has to have a user who either knowingly or from a lack of knowledge intends to cause undue harm to him/herself or others.

This is a slippery slope type argument, and a very poor one at that, if they are trying to make a link between guns and violence, why not start with a lack of knowledge or respect for a TOOL (not weapon) on the users end.

An inanimate object cannot in most cases cause harm, unless someone is willing to take it upon themselves to use the object in a hostile, or in some cases without responsibility.

You should have told this guy to take a bath, cause he was covered in shit!

markheck1

imported post

Oh believe me I wanted to....I needed to....It was all I could do to not laugh at the moron, and ask him if he was serious. I was working the counter and I never let my personal feelings or points of view out of the bag as it were. I'm not there as me , but as a representative of our company, so I gotta bite my tongue sometimes. NOW, that being said let me see this dude on the street sometime, and I'll prolly get all diry rolling on the floor:p

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Yes, I see people like this, and people that are rude and argumentative in general on a daily basis.

It certainly is hard to keep your mouth shut sometimes, and as a rep. of the company you are employed by, is required.

But referring to the argumentative type, I really don't think these people care, as if they know you can't shouldn't be arguing on their level as you are 'working' and they are merely a customer, and think they should be able to do whatever they want.

I have never had anyone treat me as crummy on the street, and especially when I am OC'ing, as some treat me while I am on the clock.

That being said, what do you do/work at?

markheck1

imported post

I sell Parts at a large Outdoor Power Equipment Store, we have anything from string trimmer, chainsaws, lawnmowers, Utility vehicles, clear up to 90HP compact utility Tractors. Mostly John Deere and Stihl

Legba

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Curious, the French Foreign Legion have this as part of their Code of Honor":

"In combat, you will act without passion and without hate, you will respect the vanquished enemy, you will never abandon your dead or wounded, nor surrender your arms."

One might make a case that the Legion adhered to the letter of this code in WWII - about half of them joined the Vichy/fascist puppet government (the kepi blanc became a symbol of collaboration for a time), and the "free-French" legionnaires adopted a beret. They didn't surrender en masse (pardon the French) like the regular army did.

-ljp