• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccw permit

vic2367

imported post

i havent had the time also to try mine out either,,i dont have a holster for it yet,,,you ? what would you recommend ? would also like to add some of those nice colorful sights,,,

imperialism2024

imported post

How about a decently powerful revolver? Could work double-duty as an intimidating OC piece as well as something suitable for hunting. Just a thought...

I actually have the sales slip from my Ruger Redhawk (7.5" in .44 Magnum). It was $469.95 at Army & Navy in... 2005.

And, kind of going off-topic, was there a waiting period for purchasing handguns back in February 2005? I recall that my father had to wait a few days between purchasing the gun and picking it up.

vic2367

imported post

you know i think there was a waiting period back then,,,cause of the brady bill,,army and navy ,,thats where i bought my taurus at ...nice place..

khmer_gentleman

imported post

vic2367 wrote:
i havent had the time also to try mine out either,,i dont have a holster for it yet,,,you ? what would you recommend ? would also like to add some of those nice colorful sights,,,
i havnt got a holster for it yet either, been kinda tight with money recently. i've got a HK1 Fobus holster for my other gun, which i really like. so i'm thinking about getting another Fobus. i'm sure other ppl would have other recommendations

PSUDrew

imported post

When I applied for mine in Lehigh Co. I asked how long and the lady who processed my ap told me it depended upon the volume of aps that had to be processed. I would imagine that summer may take longer (Ie vacation time for employees, etc).

PSUDrew

imported post

Well they have up to 45 days to conduct the background check. Remember PA is a "shall issue" state. That means the burden falls on the state to prove that you should not be able to carry a concealed gun. State law says after 45 days your application is automatically approved.

RochNYccw

imported post

vic2367 wrote:
im already a little nervous,,its been over 3 weeks now,,,check my mail every day ...i guess im gonna call tommorrow,,

WOW, I wish it only took 3 weeks to geta CCW permit in NY...I waited near 6 months for mine, then the day after it came in the mail, I sent my application to Centere County PA for a non-resident and received my permit exactly 1 week later. Perhaps I just got lucky with my choice of counties that issue non-resident permits.

just my $0.02 worth

imperialism2024

imported post

RochNYccw wrote:
vic2367 wrote:
im already a little nervous,,its been over 3 weeks now,,,check my mail every day ...i guess im gonna call tommorrow,,

WOW, I wish it only took 3 weeks to geta CCW permit in NY...I waited near 6 months for mine, then the day after it came in the mail, I sent my application to Centere County PA for a non-resident and received my permit exactly 1 week later. Perhaps I just got lucky with my choice of counties that issue non-resident permits.

just my $0.02 worth

You got a CCW permit in NY? Or was it a pistol permit? I thought CCW permit were pretty much impossible to get...

RochNYccw

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
RochNYccw wrote:
vic2367 wrote:

just my $0.02 worth

You got a CCW permit in NY? Or was it a pistol permit? I thought CCW permit were pretty much impossible to get...
OK, so the paper says it's a License to Carry Pistol (aka Pistol Permit), but the only way you can carry in NY is CC, so one could say the terms are interchangable....that or I'm simply new to some of the terminology. Although, the fact that I'm not in New York City might help explain things, I'm from Rochester, which is about 7 hours west of NYC. I do know that NYC is MUCH more restrictive, and even my valid LTCP isn't valid in NYC, but it's good anywhere else in this wonderful state [read with extreme sarcasm].

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Yeah, I'm from upstate NY and had a permit.
In NY it depends on the county seat, the issuing authority.
Some will issue to most anybody but make you wait it out. Others will not issue at all (well, except to their cronies, etc)

It is also expensive. It was over $100 (non refundable) last I had and that was early 90's

With the way the city controlls the state I'm surprised they issue at all, honestly. Especially now that Hitlary is using NY as a step stool to the white house.

imperialism2024

imported post

Alright, I was under the impression that all counties in NY made it nearly impossible to get a LTCF.

I remember, after moving up to Ithaca to go to school, when I finally met some New Yorkers who weren't scared of guns they told me of how easy it was to get a "pistol permit" in the state, at least after they took handgun-safety classes. When I mentioned that I was annoyed that I had to wait until I turned 21 to get a LTCF in PA (this was before I knew about OC), with the whole "the government lets me have a say in who commands the US military but won't let me carry a pistol," they seemed taken aback by the notion that anyone would want to carry a firearm. Sigh... truly sad are the unenlightened.

PSUDrew

imported post

:shock:... the kids faces when they found out you wanted a CCW. Prolly brainwashed by their left wing anti gun parents.