• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want to be prepared for a home invasion?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

This is mind blowing to me. Deadbolts and alarms can't stop an attacker who is determined to hurt you, but yet, they only say to "consider" a gun. And it's next to last on the list! :banghead:I trust the ability of a bullet to stop a home invader long before I leave my safety to security lights and sirens.

I guess it's good they even mentioned getting a gun, though..

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=33977

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've come across discussion in a magazine or 2A blog to the effect that the gun is late in the sequence.

The doctrine being that sound locks and so forth buy you time to get to your safe rooms, start calling the police, and access your firearm.

This particular discussion started with an instructor-type being asked in an earlier setting where to keep the gun when you're taking a shower. Should I keep it just outside the shower, or bag it and hang on the washcloth bar in the shower? That sort of question.

The instructor-type told the questioner to the effect that the question illustrated a lack of consideration on home security.

Legba

imported post

The question sounds well-considered to me. That's about the only time I'm unarmed.

-ljp

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

heh Thought I was the only one who thought about that! ;)

Seriously though, where DO you keep your gun while you shower?

I've briefly thought about bringing one into the bathroom with me but I'm afraid if I do, I'll cross that threshold from being prepared, to being paranoid...

kurtmax_0

imported post

Heheheh. If I'm alone I place it on the toilet, right outside the shower. I keep the bathroom door locked and hopefully I would hear somebody attempting to open the door before they kick it in....

I don't think it's paranoid. Home invasions can happen very fast, and it would just be my luck to be in the shower during one...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
My new favorite quote... you gotta imagine the shock waves from firing under water in such close proximity to your um... yeah.

I agree. That was one of the coolest scenes, and lines,in any movieI've ever seen.. :)

But it still could be fine-tuned a bit. Say:

"When you have to neutralize, neutralize.Don’t talk.”

This would modernize it to today'stactical standards, I'd think.

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:

"When you have to neutralize, neutralize.  Don’t talk.”

This would modernize it to today's tactical standards, I'd think.
[funny]<================================...================================>[you]

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Legba wrote:
My gf would likely help any assailant... ;-/
Well get her to the range! :cool:
militiawoman.jpg

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:

"When you have to neutralize, neutralize.Don’t talk.”

This would modernize it to today'stactical standards, I'd think.
[funny]<================================...================================>[you]

:)Ah, you're a good 'un, un. At least you have a SOH. Unlike, um, you know who... ;)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

T-RaV wrote:
heh Thought I was the only one who thought about that! ;)

Seriously though, where DO you keep your gun while you shower?

I've briefly thought about bringing one into the bathroom with me but I'm afraid if I do, I'll cross that threshold from being prepared, to being paranoid...

As for a "Shower" Gun I would get a Glock ( Although I hate Glocks ).

But as for the Tub Shooting...:lol:...:what:

...That's why I like my Ruger Vaquero 44Mag ( an old style wheeler gun)

Mainsail

imported post

Home Invasions: Be Prepared

Steve Kovacs
August 2, 2007
Recently, there was a high profile home invasion in Connecticut where a mother and two daughters were killed. The husband survived the vicious attack. It happened in a well- to-do, relatively crime free neighborhood, to a respected medical doctor and his family. This horrendous attack became an extremely high profile case and ended up being broadcast all over national television.

One national talk show had three experts discussing the case and home invasions in general. After about 20 minutes of conversation that really was quite superficial, I came away with a few steps people can do to help themselves. However, the general consensus seemed that there wasn’t too much we can do to stop home invasions. I was taken aback as this simply is not true. There are many positive actions we can take to protect ourselves.

I’ve listed some effective tips that work to curtail, limit or stop home invasions. You don’t have to use all of them to be effective; you can use one or you can utilize them all.

· Get strong wooden or metal security doors for your main entrances

· Install deeply set deadbolt locks into any outside entrance doors

· Place a piece of wood in the window track of sliding glass doors--this keeps them from being forced open

· Get motion detector lights for the outside of your home. These are inexpensive and unbelievably easy to install. Put them at all corners of your home. They light up when motion crosses its path. Predators don’t like light

· Install an alarm system, which has an internal siren (which most of them come with) and an outside siren to notify your neighbors also in case someone breaks in. Alarms are great, even though many talk against their effectiveness

· Consider having a firearm to protect you and your family in case of home attack. If you chose this option get trained in its storage, safety and use. In trained, responsible hands firearms are great protection tools.

· Create a safe-room in your home. You can choose any room such as an unused bedroom or your master bedroom. It is a simple idea. Pick a room and install a strong security door with a long, deep deadbolt lock along with reinforced door hinges (if you need help talk to a locksmith or a hardware store employee). Keep a cell phone in the room (in case your land-line phone is disabled) flashlight and any weapons you may choose to use. Have a family plan for everyone to run to the room in case of trouble. From there you can make a stand or have more time to call authorities.

There are actually more things you could do to help yourself, but the tips mentioned cover all the major areas, except the most important one—lock your doors! So many families, mostly in “good neighborhoods” do not lock their doors. Countless instances of home burglary, rape and death have occurred because doors were left unlocked and predators had an easy way in. This is a simple fact most people do not know. We live in a mobile society where a bad neighborhood is just a short ride away from a good neighborhood.

Like any thing in life, solutions to problems come about from taking action. If you’re concerned for your family’s safety regarding home invasions, follow some of the easy tips mentioned and you’ll certainly be better off.

I think it's a pretty good article. He was writing to a general audience so he recognizes that a portion of the readers may not feel comfortable with firearms. I doubt any journalist would adviseeveryone to arm themselves, nor would I for that matter. Like it or not, guns are not for everyone, and just owning a gun is no guarantee of safety. Additionally, there’s a lot more to responsibly owning a firearm than just buying a gun and a handful of bullets. (Training, safe storage, use of force, etc.)

tapper95

imported post

He misses a major point of a safe room... It is only a room unless the walls are reinforced as well as the door... It is easier to kick a hole through sheetrock than kick in a door with a good lock on it...

If you truly want a secure safe room, you need to start with a windowless room (walk-in closets are great to start with, plus it's a natural place to keep a gun safe or mini-vault) Then you need to tear the room apart to reinforce the walls, floors, and ceilings...

If you are truly in a home invasion situation, what's to stop the assailants from shooting through the wall, floors or ceiling? They are doing a home invasion because they know youa re home... You have to assume they've been watching your house and probably know how many people are inside... If they bust in and find noone there, they know you are hiding somewhere... In a matter of minutes they could figure out which locked door you are behind since it is either the only locked door or the only door that was not easily kicked in... imagine that the next sound you hear is "Come out or we will start shooting." Most will reply: "I'd start shooting." Well, are you sure? A little preperation/palnning could give you a significant advantage... Are you safe from rounds cooming through the wall like it was paper?

A true safe room needs to be relatively bullet proof... a lesson from tornado rooms is to layer metal between two sheets of plywoodto create a stronger, relatively bullet proof wall... Just hope your attackers are using low caliber handguns... You could do brick, but then you had better make sure the house can carry the additional weight... And what happens if the assailants go into the attic and attack throught the ceiling?

Many would say you can't put a price on safety, but how many of us can afford a real safe room... One that could protect us from bullets and repeated attacks on the door?