• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teen gets life for principal shooting

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Teen Gets Life in Prison With Possibility of Parole for Principal Shooting
Friday, August 03, 2007

service_ap_36.gif

BARABOO, Wis.— A 16-year-old was sentenced Friday to life in prison with the possibility of parole for the shooting death of his high school principal.[/b]

Eric Hainstock[/b] was convicted a day earlier of the first-degree intentional homicide of Weston Schools Principal John Klang last September.

Sauk County Circuit Judg Patrick Taggartsaid Hainstock would be eligible for parole in 30 years. The judge urged the state's Department of Corrections to place Hainstock in a juvenile center.

"I do believe you can be rehabilitated," Taggart told the boy, who showed no emotion as the sentence was read.

Klang's widow, Sue Klang, told the judge during the sentencing hearing that her life is now consumed with "horror, agony, emptiness, despair."

"John was the love of my life. My best friend," she said.

Prosecutors had asked for a life sentence. Prosecutor Pat Barrett argued that Hainstock knew what he was doing when he went to school with guns and ammunition Sept. 29, the morning homecoming was to begin at the school 65 miles northwest of Madison.

Hainstock's attorney, Rhoda Ricciardi, said her client was emotional and immature and never meant to kill Klang. She found him watching the children's cartoon "SpongeBob SquarePants" before his sentencing Friday morning.

"There is very little thought to anything he does," Ricciardi said.

Hainstock's family did not testify at his sentencing. His father, Shawn Hainstock, wept during testimony. He said after the sentencing that his son is not without remorse, as prosecutors had depicted him.

"He's hurting deep inside. He tells me, 'Dad, I don't know how to cry,"' Hainstock said, struggling through tears. "He's not heartless. He's a loving boy."

Life in prison is mandatory in first-degree murder convictions, but judges are allowed to grant parole eligibility dates. Hainstock had waived a pre-sentence investigation.

Hainstock went to school the day of the shooting armed with his father's shotgun and .22 revolver. He brought dozens of extra rounds of ammunition.

A janitor wrestled the shotgun from Hainstock, then a 15-year-old freshman. But the boy evaded teachers, drew the revolver and went down the hall.

He ran into Klang, who tackled him. Hainstock shot Klang three times in the scuffle. Klang managed to disarm Hainstock before another teacher and two students arrived to hold him down.

More proof; the best way to secure our schools is to have responsible armed persons who can stop an intruder. Kudos to the janitor for having the guts to tackle this guy, but why didn't he use the shotgun to shoot the kid? Sad story, and even sadder that most people will see this as another reason to ban guns.

PT111

imported post

Maybe the janitor knew it was only a .22 revolver which couldn't do any damage. If it had been a Glock 7 surely he would have used the shotgun to neutralize him.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for clearing that up for me and making it seem so much better! :D

Sarcasm...;)

kurtmax_0

imported post

If the janitor shot him, I'm sure it would be the Janitor getting life.

Lawyers love to play the "but he was just a kid!" card to the juries...

I don't know what the law was in that state. But some states you aren't immune from lawsuits if you shoot somebody to protect somebody else. Hell, some states you aren't immune if you shoot to protect yourself.