• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to carry in a WA State liquor store?

gregma

imported post

Per the RCW:

RCW 9.41.300 says:

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

There have been reports of signs being posted on liquor stores forbidding those under 21, so does it meet 9.41.300? I haven't been in a liquor store for some 20+ years, so I am of little help.

I did search the RCW and I did search the Liquor Control Board rules and can find nothing specific. Anyone have the scoop?

cut_cutta

imported post

My understanding is that it's not legal. You can not legally be in a liquor store if you are under 21, so it's off limits for firearms. I think that liquor stores were part of the reason why the legislation was written, to prevent robberies... but like a "no firearms sign" is gonna keep a criminal from holding up the place.:banghead:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'll do a little more research. However, the problem here is that it says "off limits to under 21's". IIRC, the signs state: You must be 21 or over or with a parent.

joeroket

imported post

OK the sign says that you must be 21 or over or a child accompanied by a parent. To me this would mean that the liquor board has declared them off limits to persons under 21.

I think the reason they let kids with a parent in the store stems from thsi RCW;

P.S. Thanks for giving me a reason to go to the liquor store gregma.:D

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

This is a strange interpretation of the law, and a bit of a reach.

Again, the laws says "Off Limits to under 21". It doesn't say "Off limits to under 21 except for children with their parents".

joeroket

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
This is a strange interpretation of the law, and a bit of a reach.

Again, the laws says "Off Limits to under 21". It doesn't say "Off limits to under 21 except for children with their parents".
It's not strange intrepretation or a reach. The sign says that you must be 21 to enter the premises.....That is dictated by the liquor board. The law does not say that there cannot be exceptions to the under 21 rule made by the board. I can almost guarantee that charges under these circumstances will stick and a conviction will be made.

joeroket

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
I went to the liquor store last saturday, OC'ing of course, didn't see any signs saying no guns and nobody said anything...
The signs do not have to say "no guns". They simply must be a sign from the liquor board stating that it is off limits to persons under 21.

joshmmm

imported post

I completely agree with Lonnie's take on this (of course, that was my take from the earlier thread)...

IIRC the sign doesn't even say off limits. The sign says all persons in a group.

Clearly, if they allow children with parents it is a VERY different situation than a bar... have you ever seen a parent bring their child into a bar and tell the bouncer/bartender that it is ok? of course not.

We can also think about it logically--the state has an interest in keeping drunk people seperate from guns. 99% (pulling number out of nowhere other than reasonable observation)of people in a liquor store are sober. Nobody is hanging out in a liquor store. There is no need to restrict guns in a liquor store.

I also do not think they even limit access to liquor stores... they only restrict the sale of liquor to people under 21 or they would start carding at the door.

I would think the only way we will get a final resolution to this is to either write to the direct of WA LCB or to somehow get the WA AG to write an opinion.

joeroket

imported post

I still disagree. People under 21 are allowed in bars if they work there or are passing through. This tells me that every place in Wa. that sells alcohol is not truly off limits to person under 21 if I use your rational.

It may also appear that we have different signage at the different stores. The one I just went to did not talk about groups, I have never read one that said that. It was worded towards individuals.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Joerocket says: "I think the reason they let kids with a parent in the store stems from thsi RCW;

9.91.060"

However the statues says:

"Every person having the care and custody, whether temporary or permanent, of minor children under the age of twelve years, who shall leave such children in a parked automobile unattended by an adult while such person enters a tavern or other premises where vinous, spirituous, or malt liquors are dispensed for consumption on the premises shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor."

{emphasis added}

Liquor stores do not dispense beverages for on-premise consumption.

joeroket

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
Joerocket says: "I think the reason they let kids with a parent in the store stems from thsi RCW;

9.91.060"

However the statues says:

"Every person having the care and custody, whether temporary or permanent, of minor children under the age of twelve years, who shall leave such children in a parked automobile unattended by an adult while such person enters a tavern or other premises where vinous, spirituous, or malt liquors are dispensed for consumption on the premises shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor."

{emphasis added}

Liquor stores do not dispense beverages for on-premise consumption.
Oh man. It used to state liquor store in there also. Hmmmm I give up on this one.

expvideo

imported post

Just to be safe, I wouldn't personally open carry into a liqour store. I don't want to be the one that the case law is based on :D

I know this is the worst thing to say on an OC board, but: "It's just asking for trouble".

xpun8

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
Clearly, if they allow children with parents it is a VERY different situation than a bar... have you ever seen a parent bring their child into a bar and tell the bouncer/bartender that it is ok? of course not.
This is funny, growing up in Wyoming seeing minors (accompanied) was never a big deal. Live here for 20 yrs and go to Texas where I saw minors in the bars, it is kind of odd at first.
I think you're right about the dispensing/consupmtion, the liquor store allows minors under 21...I personally wouldnt want to test it though.

slugsgomoo

imported post

I know this is bringing things back from the dead, but in RCW 9.41.300 the wording sounds like anywhere the liquor control board classifies as off limits to people under 21 are on the prohibited list, which I would assume to include liquor stores.

I don't know that i'd want to test that one out.

joshmmm

imported post

slugsgomoo wrote:
I know this is bringing things back from the dead, but in RCW 9.41.300 the wording sounds like anywhere the liquor control board classifies as off limits to people under 21 are on the prohibited list, which I would assume to include liquor stores.

You have completely missed the point of this whole thread. We all know what 9.41.300 says.

The entire debate is whether or not the liquor control board has classified the liquor store as off limits.

Back to that point--I checked the other day and indeed there was a sign saying minors were only permitted with parents and it had a number on it making it look official--not just printed by the local manager...

so, we really don't know still... no definitive answer has yet been found on whether a liquor store allowspeople under 21 to enter "officially".

just_a_car

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
slugsgomoo wrote:

You have completely missed the point of this whole thread. We all know what 9.41.300 says.

The entire debate is whether or not the liquor control board has classified the liquor store as off limits.

Back to that point--I checked the other day and indeed there was a sign saying minors were only permitted with parents and it had a number on it making it look official--not just printed by the local manager...

so, we really don't know still... no definitive answer has yet been found on whether a liquor store allowspeople under 21 to enter "officially".
Well, if it's official from the WALCB, then it's pretty clea... well, no, it's not clear at all, since minors can still enter with supervision.

What we need here is a WA Attourney General letter on the matter.

metricinch

imported post

slugsgomoo, it is nice to see another Arsian on here. There are at least three of us, as I have seen budder in here too. One of these days you, Caustic and I will have to hook up at a range or something!

as to the topic of carrying in a liquor store, I have never OCd, but have CCd more times than I can count. I am of the thinking that since they are not serving it, and that you can't drink it in the store...